why i have to pay more for kosher

Zan
Quote:

Zan, you may call me Jimmy Sam. (James Samuel).

Well alrighty then. Jimmy Sam it is.

Quote:

If you would keep your mind focused upon the cost of food, if we can all just think about food, more, please. I was reading the newspaper, Food section, this morning while watching the food channel and eating. And I thought, how is it that some women just can't keep their minds on food these days? Some aspire to be thin, while eating gluttenous amounts, all day long, but these normal women are becoming more rare, and the men more fat, but I'm not homosexual.

/sigh. Ohhh Jimmy Sam. You could start a whole new thread with that paragraph. In fact why doncha,, we could have a 105 page debate on how misogyny and homophobia can be insidiously disguised as anti-anti-Semitism.

Quote:

Focus with me Zan.

Ok, sorry, I’ll get right on it, soon’s I get me head outta the oven … I mean kitchen… errr bedroom… oh dear, where am I again?

Quote:

We live in the food age. It's coming back.

It was gone? Why wasn’t I told!?

Quote:

The food supply was once the human population governor of this planet, but now that governing has become the province of women, women with rights, women with minds of their own, women who cannot, will not, cook.

Tskity tsk tsk, Jimmy Sam – do not be fooled. We didn’t have to give up one skill to acquire another… We can cook alright. And not just in the kitchen nudge nudge…in any damn room of the house we choose! (Choose being the operative word here)… the erroneous belief that we cannot cook may have evolved from the vigorous exercise of this pesky thing called choice.

Quote:

And all I get to do is read and watch.

I hear some men quite like that… you’re not one of ‘em I take it… hope it’s not due to a lack of imagination…

Quote:

I once worked as a kosher certification inspector at an aluminum foil factory, but I got fired. I kept my mind on the food, and where did it get me?

Uhhh… fired?

Quote:

Now Zan, don't you be aligning with Karrie's soft on anti-semitism stance. We don't need no stinking anti-semitism. Hosting Townsey is arguably a criminal offense in this country. Whomever pays for that dudes soapbox is scum, right?

That censorship thang – it’s such a tricky devil… damned if ya do, damned if ya don’t. Calling someone ‘soft on anti-semitism’ because they won’t censor what you deem unacceptable… you can do better than that can’t you?
Quote:

Krakra was an immigrant girl, until I found out she was a man. All this shopping talk. The guys and I, we went to the bar, we went to the beer store, we went to the beach, the bush and back to the beer store. Nobody ever said, "Jim? Oh, he went shopping." We did not go shopping. Is this guy for real, or am I being presumptuous about his sexual orientation?

Please for the love of all things anti-ism-ist… …Tell me you’re just being wily here! Nonetheless, I’m driven to ask: How do you protest anti-semitism while querying another person’s sexual orientation?!… with a ‘straight’ face yet?! That’s some seriously unsightly homophobia – you should get that looked at. Or at least cover it up with some shifty baseball-speak – but fer gawd’s sake NOT shopping talk. Ewww- folks might confuse you for one of THEM.

Quote:

Focus with me here Zan. My goodness how your mind wonders.

It’s true… I wander through many wonders in a day Jimmy Sam… thanks for playin…

Lester
Quote: Originally Posted by krakraView Post

Karrie , Lester : thanks for your certification , please send it as soon as possible because i dont have toilet paper.

No toilet paper huh? Couldn't find any that was non-kosher?

Lester
Nuggler, you are an anti-seismite. ADMIT IT you hate earthquakes don't you! say it, say it. May all your weed go to seed.

jimshort19
Zan, "we could have a 105 page debate on how misogyny and homophobia can be insidiously disguised as *anti*-anti-Semitism."

Now tell me that that woman doesn't want my body! I'll steal the hair from Nugggler's gargoyle if I have to. This babe's goin' down!

to Zen: "And I could add a word on behalf of youth, by a black humoured enginnering student!"

Zen, "Could yopu really?"

Jim, "It's your idea dear, not mine. Way too deep for me. I couldn't possibly do more than 100 pages right f...ing now."

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I would have to agree with Darkbeaver. In the final analysis, all costs are passed on to the consumer ....

While we may be paying it in some cases, plenty of businesses in this world will narrow their profit margins in order to expand their customer base and thus swell their profit through quantity sold rather than high profit margin per unit. It's basic Wal-Mart business strategy. Where have you guys been for the last decade?

krakra
hi ,,,
The debate start to be interesting with new guys knowing what they are giving to whom they give it and enough clear with themselves to say it in public.
Jimshort , really you are using a very complicated english , i did not understand what you told about me : you thought that i am a girl , you found that i am a man ,and you did not like it ?
Mr.: I am a man , i was a man and i will be a man . I never told that i am a girl .
you analyse my name (if i understand well) krakra : you have to know that it takes around 1s to choose this nickname.
Karrie , i salute you for the new thread , because it is really a very interesting subject.
For

jimshort19
Kakra, I could tell you that I was just pulling your leg, but there is about a 50% chance that you might not have this saying.

My mistake was real, but my protest was too much, it was fake.

Nevertheless, I admit, and this is enlightening to me, that I read you different as a man than as a woman. This is in my head, you see, not yours. So now I know why you are more stubborn than a woman!

krakra
New mathematics are born in this thread.

A man have 80.000$. he gives to his friend 40.000$ .
Question: how much remain to him?

if he is in canada it will remain to him 82.000$
if he is in bolivia ,it will remain to him : 85.000$
if he is in angola ,it will remain to him : -80.000$

no, a smarter one ,will say :

it will remain to him : exp(log.sqrt(3.33352))+(sqrt(21.87)-log35.12)

I think that it is very clear now with this new simple mathematics (it has to be clear or i will be an evil antisemit)

Lester
check your inbox Jim

karrie

New mathematics are born in this thread.

A man have 80.000$. he gives to his friend 40.000$ .
Question: how much remain to him?

if he is in canada it will remain to him 82.000$
if he is in bolivia ,it will remain to him : 85.000$
if he is in angola ,it will remain to him : -80.000$

no, a smarter one ,will say :

it will remain to him : exp(log.sqrt(3.33352))+(sqrt(21.87)-log35.12)

I think that it is very clear now with this new simple mathematics (it has to be clear or i will be an evil antisemit)

Just because you don't understand what I said doesn't make it bad economics OR bizarre math krakra.

Companies can run according to different profit principles. They can seek out a high profit per item, or they can seek out high profit through volume. Increasing volume of items sold by adding an extra 2% to your customer base can help to offset and even recover the costs a company accrues in order to obtain that extra 2%.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Just because you don't understand what I said doesn't make it bad economics OR bizarre math krakra.

Companies can run according to different profit principles. They can seek out a high profit per item, or they can seek out high profit through volume. Increasing volume of items sold by adding an extra 2% to your customer base can help to offset and even recover the costs a company accrues in order to obtain that extra 2%.

Karrie, where in that does the consumer get the break?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Karrie, where in that does the consumer get the break?

They get the break when a manufacturer decides to lower the price or profit margin on a unit in order to sell a higher volume.

gerryh

They get the break when a manufacturer decides to lower the price or profit margin on a unit in order to sell a higher volume.

Actually Karrie, it's when the retailer decides to lower the price or profit margin.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Actually Karrie, it's when the retailer decides to lower the price or profit margin.

Thank you for the correction... but we're both right, as usual (considering the retailers margins are linked to what they pay the manufacturer). Care for a drink while we bask in our intelligence? I'm having tea tonight, of all things.

Dexter Sinister
Jeez, doesn't anyone know how to use Google? This thread is full of misconceptions about what kosher means and what it costs, and a little elementary research would have resolved it all. Try this (external - login to view) for instance. There's no blessing by a rabbi required, no licking of products by rabbis, the added cost is pretty minimal, it doesn't generate kickbacks to Israeli or zionist organizations... well, read it yourself, it's not very long.

karrie
I've been to that site Dex. But, if I were on krakra's side of the issue, I'd dismiss any source written by a rabbi, so I didn't bother posting it. I couldn't find any impartial sources in a quick search, and frankly, didn't care to dig for his sake. lol.

Dexter Sinister

.. if I were on krakra's side of the issue, I'd dismiss any source written by a rabbi...

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I figured, who's in a better position to know than a rabbi? Or more generally, who's in a better position to know something than the people to whom it's most important? I googled for "kosher food cost," that was the second of a quarter of a million hits, and the most concise one of the dozen or so I looked at. Here's (external - login to view) a longer one that says essentially the same thing.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I figured, who's in a better position to know than a rabbi? Or more generally, who's in a better position to know something than the people to whom it's most important?

Yes, but to someone who doesn't agree with a position, they're also the people most likely to lie to justify themselves. I learned all I currently know from those two sites Dex. And I take it at face value... they were extremely informative.

krakra
Hi karrie,,,
I dont know what to say . You are saying that the manufacturer will lower his benefit, another one is saying the retailer will lower his benefits , like if you have to find someone who will lower his benefits other than the consumer . Ok i will agree with you and say that someone in the manufacturing and selling chain will lower his benefits.
why he has to lower his benefits to give it to an organization other than the canadian authorities.
someone elese is saying that the benefit is minime , even 1 cent is not minime in the eyes of a canadian poor man.
If there is a valable reason for koshering , then it has to be said clearly to everyone in public media ,at least people will know it ,may they will agree to give more from their pocket.

karrie

If there is a valable reason for koshering , then it has to be said clearly to everyone in public media ,at least people will know it ,may they will agree to give more from their pocket.

We've explained to you over and over again the valuable reasoning behind kosher certification.

And I didn't say anything about manufacturers or retailers lowering their benefit. I said that it's one of the cases where they may be willing to lower their profit margins to increase sales. That easily translates into increased benefit.

I know I'm beating my head against a wall, but there are umpteen other issues where manufacturers or retailers will take on a certification (such as dolphin free, organic, nut free, fair trade, against animal testing... the list goes on and on) which is often reviewed by a certifying body outside the government, in order to reach a wider market.

It's hit the point where either you're not listening, you don't care to actually discuss it, or you've just got an ax to grind with kosher certification in particular. I've hit the end of this naive journey with you.

Pangloss
Krakra:

I deeply echo Karrie's post. Really, counter the arguments with something new, or just quit repeating yourself.

Your obstinateness is perverse and frustrating. I would love to meet you, and look you in the eyes when you claim this isn't about anti-semitism.

Pangloss

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by PanglossView Post

Did the pickle smell kinda earthy? I'm pretty sure that part of the video was real. . .

Pangloss

Ya know what Pangloss.... I'm getting REALLY sick of reading this. And for whatever bizarre computer reason, everytime I click on the 'last posts' button, THIS is the post it takes me to. What the hell man!? What did you do that the computer has decided I must read this over and over and over again everytime? Did you bribe it? Did you whisper binary nothings in its ear? Geez!

jimshort19
Krakra, the horse is dead already. Time to buy a new one. Let's say, in theory, that you have two ideas, one is maybe about kosher food and the other is about, say, kosher food. Have I got that right? Where are you from anyway? How old are you? When was the last time you got laid?

krakra
Karrie , thanks , for discussing rationaly (i dont give a **** for the borned others)
I think that i could not clarify enough what i wanted to say , english is not my langage and i have big difficulties to explain exactly what i want to say.
so ,give me the privilege to close this "naive" thread .
final word: when anyone decide to open his mind let me know that by e-mail on :
djaunase@hotmail.com (external - login to view)
bye .

jimshort19
Well, Karrie and Pangloss have finally killed this thread, brow-beaten and humiliated a poor immigrant, and ruined Canada's reputation for hospitality. It was a sorry spectacle.

I posted the last word you know.

krakra
Buggy

I am leaving because i am assured that i am talking to a poor retarded low level people without any education ,happy to be so blind.

darkbeaver

Buggy

I am leaving because i am assured that i am talking to a poor retarded low level people without any education ,happy to be so blind.

It's bad enough that I'm poor and retarded I can live with it, but now I'm hungry.see you arround

TenPenny
Krakra, I don't know why you're so upset. I'm still waiting for you to prove that the SELLING PRICE of a kosher item is any different from that of an identical, non-kosher item.

You have commented on the COSTS of manufacturing, but you have not actually adressed your own point. You have not provided any proof that you pay EXTRA for kosher items.

In case you want to cast aspersions, don't bother. I'm no supporter of Israel, or organized religion. You don't need to brand me as stupid, ignorant, or clueless, either. Stick to the point, and provide us with some facts. Don't muddy the water with insults.

darkbeaver
You are to stupid and ignorant tenpenny

missile
Takes one to know one Your momma wears army boots,too what can I say? I'm just as stupid ,ignorant as everyone else