why i have to pay more for kosher

Lester
Krakra:
I' m sitting here reading this endless whining that you are spouting forth drinking a diet pepsi with not a single kosher mark on it. I'm looking in my pantry and finding nothing with the kosher mark, I hardly think there is this much of a difference betwwen Montreal and Edmonton when it come down to it it all come from the same distribution warehouses, Anybody else from Montreal want to describe what non koshered items are in thier pantry and then give the name of the store you bought it from to Krakra(fer christ sake)

jimshort19
Krakra, I've read the thread and let me pretend to admit (you seem a most tolerant sort) that I have failed to perceive the difference between kosher food and not kosher food. That I've never even noticed - and I throw myself at the mercy of the Content. I'm just your average guy. But I can always ask. Just what is it about kosher food that burns your butt? Let me have it. Not the Jewish aspect of course. Just the hard cost/risk/inconvenience/taste/looks/weight/sharp edges data.

Pangloss
I cannot believe this thread is still going - mind you, this comment just bumped it.

Sigh. . .

Pangloss

krakra
MAXI is from the biggest malls in quebec (and i think in canada but with other names).
do you know guys , if you are so happy to pay a (so called ) value added ,i can do nothing for you.
before 6 months , in a quebec

krakra
MAXI is from the biggest malls in quebec (and i think in canada but with other names).
do you know guys , if you are so happy to pay a (so called ) value added ,i can do nothing for you.
before 6 months , in a quebec TV channel , there was a documentary talking on this subject . they have found that in almost all malls and groceries ,the majority of products are koshered and people doesnot even know that .
in the same documentary ,the journalist spoke with a factory boss , the man have said ,that he has to pay around 40000$ per year to have the kosher certification.
"third world live in our minds"

Pangloss
Krakra:

I'm not from Quebec, but I've worked there. I currently live in Calgary. What you write is certainly not the case out west, and I don't remember it being the case in Montreal. I can't remember if I shopped in a "MAXI" store.

I still call BS on this thread, krakra.

Pangloss

Pangloss
Krakra:

I would read very carefully the comments of the other posters on this thread. You, quite apparently, have something to learn.

Pangloss

jimshort19
Kosher certification is voluntary. If you were a decision maker in the food business, you could make that decision. If kosher food makes your blood boil, buy non-kosher food. Regrettably, it's the same food at the same price. And there's the rub. What is the benefit of being non-Jewish anymore?

You do kick at the goad Krackie. These are but the pains of your spiritual rebirth. You are vitally interested in, knowlegable of, and already eating kosher food. It's time to take things to the next level. What you need is a good Jewish man, but not just any Jewish man - a kosher food inspector.

Lester
Quote: Originally Posted by PanglossView Post

I cannot believe this thread is still going - mind you, this comment just bumped it.

Sigh. . .

Pangloss

Well it was almost there, way to go pangloss.

Pangloss
Yeah, I know. . .that was my bad. I won't do it again.

Oh, wait a second - ahh sh!t.

Pangloss

jimshort19
Way to go again Pangloss. Lefty.

Vegetarian.

West coast person.

It's time for a food fight. Gentlemen, lick your missiles!

Pangloss
Go ahead:

I will unleash such a fury of self-righteous white guilt lectures you will curl up into a defenseless fetal ball, and beg to slip into a coma.

Then I will don my organic, fair trade hemp cape of equitable power relationships, and continue to guilt trip the wicked into submission. And then eat soy nuts.

Feeling morally superior,

Pangloss

krakra
Never i will pay more than the clear taxes fixed by canadian authorities.
If i have to give money ,i will give it to the organisms who give care to the homeless and poor people.
"happy blind minds"

jimshort19
krakra, the organisms! Don't join the organisms!

But Pangloss no! Not the organic, fair trade hemp cape of equitable power relationships! - with soy beans.

I'm melting! Melting into the imperialist corporate sewer of oligarchic global capitalism! - with boiling oil.

Pangloss
"organisms"???

Krakra - You sure some funny guy. You make me laugh long time.

Pangloss

krakra
Pangloss,,,
why i make you laugh?

krakra
may be you are laughing for my poor english langage.
ok , lets debate in french .
i am sur that you know only what you have learned from your mother .

Lester
me and my girlfreind have organisms all the time

Pangloss
Krakra

I laugh at your stubborn refusal to acknowledge how badly you have handled yourself throughout this thread. Your ham-handed attempts at subterranean antisemitism are pure comedy gold.

We have all been very nice, and played along. Buy you have made an object of ridicule of yourself - we are here only as spectators, and highly entertained ones.

If you actually had the huevos to write what you mean, we'd (I'm sure I am writing for more than myself here) all have a lot more respect for you.

In your writing, you come across as some sort of very stubborn and close-minded adolescent, and the temptation to play with that is too great to resist.

Really, for this level of entertainment, you ought to provide popcorn.

Pangloss
Last edited by Pangloss; Jan 7th, 2008 at 12:25 AM..Reason: Syntax.

Lester
Now, that should end it. but probably not.

MikeyDB
Pangloss

If this person is writing about something other than her or his ire with "kosher-scam" how can you tell?

MikeyDB
What no searing moral counterpoint.....?

krakra
finally the arm is here (antisemitism).
Now i am sur to whom i am talking , a very low level reasoning minds .

I am talking of the no reason of spending money to unknown organisms and i am treated of antisemitism.
lester ,say hi to your girlfriend whith whom you have (organism) .

facts ,names ,numbers are there , and it is not a band of ignorants that will hide them.

karrie
The word is organization krakra, not organism. Organism means a living thing, like a virus or a fly or a person. Organization is a collected body of people banding together for some purpose.

I personally believe you may hold this view of frustration with paying for kosher without being anti-semitic, but you have yet to prove, other than throwing a couple numbers out with no substantiation, that it costs more to consumers in the end than say, advertising does.

I find advertising to be a cost I am not willing to pay for. The companies spend tons of money on it, without asking me, without needing to advertise, and the end cost is passed along to the consumer. I don't benefit from them advertising and brain washing my children. I don't benefit from their glossy packaging. So, because that's the way I feel, I buy largely 'no name' and bulk foods. I'm just not willing to pay the extra for 'Coke', or 'Triscuits' or 'Cheerios' when I can get 'Cola', 'Wheat Crispies', or 'Toasted O's' for half the price.

The kosher issue is no different.

jimshort19
Karrie, "I find advertising to be a cost I am not willing to pay for." "I'm just not willing to pay the extra for 'Coke', or 'Triscuits' or 'Cheerios' when I can get 'Cola', 'Wheat Crispies', or 'Toasted O's' for half the price."

But what if they were the same price? And what if they were marked as Jew food?

On the one hand you say that you won't pay for advertising because you believe that it drives up your costs. That's way more onerous than avoiding Jew-blessed food. Then you conclude that you just buy the cheapest products. That is expedient and objective. But brand names, including President's Choice, are in every shopping cart you fill, and the advertising budget of the no-name store is one of the largest among retailers in the country.

If this cad is not racist, then she's in training. And some people, like Pangloss, just don't go for racism, and neither do I. So while the racists rave, on a good day, the silent majority will offer only disapproval. This social process is called Canadian Conditioning, if you will. And if a innocent and naive girl get's blindsided she will recover. This is not an excuse for wreckless social censureship, but it's the way things are in reality space in Canada.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by jimshort19View Post

"I find advertising to be a cost I am not willing to pay for." "I'm just not willing to pay the extra for 'Coke', or 'Triscuits' or 'Cheerios'

I was pretty clear that I'm not willing to pay MORE for a heavily advertised product. Because if it's heavily advertised, and you're paying more, that's often why. If it's the same cost, fine. Confusing? I don't see why.

krakra's assertion (though pointed out to be flawed plenty in this thread), is that it costs more for food to be kosher. It's the same darn issue as krakra presents it. I'm not about to try to argue what you and gerryh and pangloss are presenting, because it's as baseless IMO as krakra's assertions. I have no reason, no foundation, for arguing antisemitism with this person until they prove otherwise.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Pangloss

If this person is writing about something other than her or his ire with "kosher-scam" how can you tell?

and it's a scam how?

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by krakraView Post

facts ,names ,numbers are there , and it is not a band of ignorants that will hide them.

What facts and what numbers? You've demonstrated the cost of certifying something Kosher, but have not demonstrated the cost passed on to the consumer. There are many certifications that cost large amounts of money. Research HAACP. Kosher certification is just another protocol that customers demand from their supply chains.

The reality, as has been explained to you multiple times, is that the onus is on you to make a choice as a consumer. Want to avoid Kosher products? Then do it. Buy from small farm markets, which I'm sure you can find in Montreal. Or make your own preserves. Or use baking soda and vinegar to wash your dishes. If you research it enough, you'll find that you can avoid Koshered products. The question is, do you really care that much.

Lester
Krakra, I don't buy your argument -you say you go to MAXI in Montreal and can find no non-koshered foods? I call bullsh*t. I don't think you will be able to rally many around your cause( whatever that may be). Your arguments have gone beyond ridiculous into the absurd. What your really looking for is a sympathizer, someone to help you foster your hate.
you may find that in the dictionary between sh*t and syphhilis but you won't find it here.

jimshort19
karrie, "I have no reason, no foundation, for arguing antisemitism with this person until they prove otherwise."

If you are looking for someone to prove that they are anti-semetic, while we are satisfied with a lack of anti-semetic rational when they single out the Jews for blame for food prices.

If it looks like a pig, walks like a pig and quacks like a pig, it's not kosher. The best that I can say with respect to the merit of this thread is that the author is not a conspiracy theorist. Leave her alone with some of the people on this forum and she'll be convinced that the Jews are poisoning her tin foil.