why i have to pay more for kosher

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by krakraView Post

are you kiding guys , you are insulting the canadian authorities like this.
let all these restrictions be done by the canadian authorities and the money goes to canadians not to a restricted organizations!
meat ? ok . Mr ... even my dish cleaner is koshered .

Pangloss
Krakra:

I suspect you are trying to make a point of some kind. If that is so, why don't you simply come right out and make it?

Good and thoughtful answers have been provided, but your responses appear to be fishing for something.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Pangloss

jimshort19
Pangloss, you are not right and you are not wrong. Every answer could be provided, but none are satisfactory. There is no real fishing, because there is no serious intellectual inquiry. What there is is a list of reasons to constrain kosher food, it having become, abeit by free market forces, 'too' popular. The reason why kosher foods are too popular is not because of any unsatisfactory inspection routine, but because the inspectors are Jews.

But you already know that, though you avoid the conclusion.

Pangloss
Jim, I think you misread me. I have no opinion on the subject, it really matters very little to me what price kosher foods go for, or where the money goes. I really don't care.

I've simply enjoyed the thread. And I would disagree with you - there have been some good and thoughtful answers here - they've certainly enlightened me.

And just what in the world does it mean for kosher foods to be "too popular"? I honestly have no idea what you mean.

Now, if you were writing that McDonald's was too popular. . .

Pangloss

krakra
hi pangloss,,,
wow!!! i have to accept to pay rabbins to check my food (without my authorization!) because they know more than the canadian specialized authorities .
why there is more than 250 rabbin organization to do this between canada and usa only?
what an insult to a normal common sense

Pangloss
Krakra:

Are you an observant Jew? Are there only kosher stores in your community? Unless the answer is yes to both, then nobody is making you pay more for anything. It's your choice.

If it's your choice, where's your complaint?

Pangloss

krakra
hi pangloss,,,
believe me , before 6 days , i have checked in my kitchen for the kosher foods .
I have found the following:
1-COFFEE (K)
2-OIL: (MK)
3-KETCHUP (COR)
4-SALT (COR)
5-SUGAR (COR)
6- 2 TYPES OF DISH AND GREASE CLEANERS (COR)
7-ALUMINIUM WRAPPER (COR)
8- CHICK PEAS (MK)
9- SPAGHETTI (COR)
10- BOTTLE OF WATER (COR)
11- WHEAT PASTA (K)

not koshered foods:
1- eggs
2- yogourt (no name)
3- orange marmelade (from dollarama)
4- hot choclate (no name)

do i have a fair choice ???

karrie
Yes, you have a fair choice. Buy kosher, or don't. It's similar choice to those households make EVERYday for a plethora of reasons. Complaints over kosher certifications is one of the most unusual I've heard so far, but, it's no different. If you object to an ingredient, a company, a manufacturing process, or a political affiliation, you will have to be selective about the products you buy. Your complaint is NO different.

Buy it or don't.

But whining accomplishes little.

Lester
Egad Krakra, the companies that produce non-kosher foods probaly outnumber the companies that do by ten to one or more, like karrie says don't want it, don't buy it. you have a choice.

Pangloss
Krakra:

To echo the previous two posters - don't you read labels? If this is such a big hairy deal to you, don't buy kosher.

Criminy, lad (or lass) - take some responsibility for the choices you make. What kind of an unthinking weakling is made a victim in a grocery store, for crying out loud?

What'll be your next complaint, foreign language books at the library?

Pangloss

Postscript: I plead guilty to the harsh tone, but sheesh - I mean come on!
-p

jimshort19
Yes. You can turn Jewish.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by PanglossView Post

Krakra:

Criminy, lad (or lass) - take some responsibility for the choices you make. What kind of an unthinking weakling is made a victim in a grocery store, for crying out loud?

Interesting choice of words pangloss.

krakra
you did not see the items that i have listed above?

water, aluminium wrapper, dish cleaner,coffee .........koshered .

guys , there is no big choice ,the majority of products are koshered .....at least at Montreal groceries and malls .
I dont know ,may be where you are ,you have more choice.

gerryh
Let's cut to the chase....what is your problem with the koshered product...in reality, I doubt it add's more than a few penny's at the most to price of the end product. So let's cut the crap and hear the REAL reason you started this thread.

TenPenny
I still don't see any proof, or even attempt at proof, that there is an additional cost to the consumer.

Put up or shut up, I say. Show me name brand products (ie, not no-name) with a comparison between Kosher and non. Come on, let's see it.

gerryh
TenPenny, he/she/it can't. There IS only one reason that this thread was posted. kakra has been outed and would be better of if he/she/it slunk back into the ditch they crawled out of.

Pangloss
I doubt krakra will be bothering to post much anymore. . .

Pangloss

karrie

you did not see the items that i have listed above?

water, aluminium wrapper, dish cleaner,coffee .........koshered .

guys , there is no big choice ,the majority of products are koshered .....at least at Montreal groceries and malls .
I dont know ,may be where you are ,you have more choice.

not all drinking water. not all aluminum foil. not all dish cleaner. not all coffee. not everywhere. yes... perhaps we have more choice here, because we have lower jewish populations. You live in MONTREAL for crying out loud. The population there is much higher, thus much more demand. Supply and demand drives most economies.

But I'm sure not every brand of aluminum foil you can find is kosher certified, same for the other things you've listed.

gerryh
Kosher certification has nothing to do with this Karrie.

karrie
Gerryh.... I may agree with you on that fact, but making assumptions isn't my style. If someone is arguing 'A' with me, I will argue 'A' until they've given me a clear indication that my jaded suspicions were indeed correct. If he's trying to say it's a sneaky hidden 'jew tax' like the clip he provided discusses, well, my point still stands. Quit whining, and don't pay it. The same way I know women who won't buy nestle because their baby formulas advertise in some countries as being superior to nursing. The same way people boycotted Nike for using child labor.

If you don't like the way a corporation is spending the profit from your purchase of their product, DON'T BUY THE PRODUCT. But don't expect the world to agree with your premise, or paranoia, or whatever it may be.

jimshort19
As gerryh so callously dismissed, millions of non-Jewish women have been traumatized by kosher tin foil right in the grocery isle. As gerryh, himself traumitized by racist poseurs, did not point out, it's not really the tin hat you're wearing, whether it is kosher or not, but the head it's on that counts. And your head is racist my dear. We don't give a damn about one religion here, but we accommodate an unlimited number, and it's all free or cheap, as long as you don't start believing.

krakra
woww!!!
when i tell you that only one koshering organism gets around 20millions $ per year for koshering the food (including water ,aluminium foil,dish cleaner........????).
you think (if you can do it) that this money will come from the sea or the wind???
"blind mind is a choice"

MikeyDB
Kakra

Welcome to the Twilight Zone......

Tin foil hats all around!

You can be dismissed outright Kraka because other peoples hidden prejudices get ruffled when you bring up a subject that they think isn't about what you're talking about...

"Proof"...no proof necessary to the folk who speak to the issue that compels them to address the undercurrent they percive is running through your contribution....

Pull that tinfoil hat down firmly Kraka, the psychic fog of CC is swirling today....

jimshort19
MikeyDB, "Proof"...no proof necessary to the folk who speak to the issue that compels them to address the undercurrent they percive is running through your contribution....

Say I'm a folk compelled by the issue to address the undercurrent. What issue is that please?

Pangloss
Krakra:

It's about choice. If people want to buy kosher, they pay more. This would be called a "value added" service.

No different (economically speaking) than any other "value added" service to a product: celebrity endorsement, attractive packaging, advertising. The list goes on.

You do not seem to want to answer the question of what is forcing you to buy kosher; because if you are not being forced, then this is your choice, and you have nothing to complain about.

If some people want to pay more* for someone else to say the product is kosher, who are we to stop them, complain or even question?

If I wanted to pay for my produce to be picked only by left handed midgets, that's my business - if I choose to make it available (at a higher price) to other fruit eaters, what's the problem?

Really dude (or dudette)- this is a non-issue.

Pangloss

*but it's not always more - as Karrie and I have written, sometimes the kosher product is cheaper.

Tonington

woww!!!
when i tell you that only one koshering organism gets around 20millions $ per year for koshering the food (including water ,aluminium foil,dish cleaner........????).
you think (if you can do it) that this money will come from the sea or the wind???
"blind mind is a choice"

You still have yet to adequately explain how $20 million affects the prices of a multi-billion dollar grocery industry.

TenPenny

woww!!!
"blind mind is a choice"

But you haven't actually provided any proof that you are paying extra for this.

Items sell for the highest price that the manufacturers can get away with, at the volumes they want to sell.

You have not, and I assume can not, provide any proof that the selling price of a kosher item is any higher than a non kosher item. You have made suggestions (with no actual proof) that the cost of manufacturing these items is slightly (and I do mean 'slightly') higher. But you have not provided even the vaguest hint of proof that the selling price is higher.

You're just not very good at this, are you?

Pangloss
This thread is a pretty good example of smart people tearing a lousy (and barely acknowledged) argument to shreds.

Great work, folks!

Pangloss

krakra
Today ,in the MAXI, and for the first time , i was verifying to buy non koshered food.
the only products i get is bananas and yougurt .
All the products i have checked were koshered.
I left the mall with empty hands.
is it necessary to proof that there is clouds when it rains ?
when factories are spending 30 to 40000$ per year to have kosher certification , and when the koshering organisms (more than 250) are getting huge amounts of money from this certification , then the mind who is asking for proofs that he is paying extra taxes deserve to pay more and more.

gerryh

Today ,in the MAXI, and for the first time , i was verifying to buy non koshered food.
the only products i get is bananas and yougurt .
All the products i have checked were koshered.
I left the mall with empty hands.
is it necessary to proof that there is clouds when it rains ?
when factories are spending 30 to 40000$ per year to have kosher certification , and when the koshering organisms (more than 250) are getting huge amounts of money from this certification , then the mind who is asking for proofs that he is paying extra taxes deserve to pay more and more.

If this is NOT just another "jewish conspiracy" thread then PROVE that you are paying MORE for Koshered food over non Koshered. Have you tried OTHER food stores besides the one? What area of Montreal is this MAXI? Is it predominantly Jewish?