Happy 2008 !!!

Zan

It's almost time to usher in a new year folks. 2008 already!

Anyone big on New Year's Resolutions? I'm not - but I do like to take a bit of time to think over what the past year has held for me, and what I'd like to see myself doing (differently?) within the next year.

Rather than commit myself to a whack of new rules or lifestyle changes I'm not at all likely to follow, I prefer to take a little inventory of my beliefs, values, life in general - and assess whether or not I'm living as true to myself as I would like to be .... a spiritual house cleaning so to speak. I usually can find areas in my life that are working well, and some that are are not serving my life or my vision of who I'd like to be in the most positive way.

What is working for me is continuing to seek the best in everyone I encounter - and to avoid those that I just cannot establish any kind of positive connection with rather than trying to inflict any sort of judgement upon those I cannot understand or relate to. I'm not consistently successful with this - but it is a good guideline for me to remember when I find myself scratching my head or downright offended by someone else's behaviour - and I hope to continue exercising that desire - maybe someday it will become a habit.

Where I see myself wanting to focus more attention is on my relationships with people in my life that I value. I think I've taken their contribution to my sense of well being for granted somewhat - I find myself filled with gratitude by the presence of so many wonderful people in my life - I'd like to put more effort into making sure those people really know how appreciated they are by me.

So I am hoping to bring that reminder forward with me into the New Year and celebrate the illusion of a fresh start by honouring the people in my life that enrich my days just by showing up. Some of those people are right here - so I'd like to start by thanking all of you who show up to share of yourselves - bringing fresh ideas, thought provoking and eye opening perspectives, laughs, camaraderie and a daily infusion of the spirit of community into my life. Happy New Year everyone! ..................................................
Last edited by Zan; Dec 31st, 2007 at 11:53 AM..

CDNBear
Happy (early) New year Zan...

Me, I resolve to be nicer to Gods lil minions, lol...

Brat
I understand what your saying Zan, about appreciating the people who add value to your life. I think I need to do that a bit more as well. Try to develop better/new relationships with those who truely add that bit of joy to your life and let go of those who bring negativity into it.
I also want to do something for myself this year that I have let fall by the way side when I got married and had children. I threw myself into caring for them so much, that I forgot about myself. I've been inspired by a few to revive these small pleasures now that my children are older and need less of my time. Hopefully I can do that, and not fall back into old habits......as usual.

Happy New Year Everyone!
All the best to you and your in 2008.

shadowshiv
Since I have to work midnights tonight...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

warrior_won
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Happy (early) New year Zan...

Me, I resolve to be nicer to Gods lil minions, lol...

Don't you mean that you resolve to make God's lil minions nicer to you... And to use whatever means necessary to effect that end? You make the same resolution every year. And you get nowhere with it. lmfao!

Unforgiven
I'm going to try and take it a little easy on those who tell me there are other beer that are I might enjoy as much as Guinness.

warrior_won
I resolve to meet the challenges confronting me with uncompromising resolve. I resolve to cease being one of God's lil minions and to become the God of those who view me as their lil minion. I resolve to cast judgment on those who have cast judgment upon me, and to call them before a Court of Law so that they may also be Judged according to the rule of law. I resolve to recover all that has been taken from me, to correct the misconceptions that have been perpetuated through criminal and unjustifiable means, and to give lil consideration to those who have violated the sanctity of my humble but most sufficient abode.

Kreskin
I endeavour make complete sentences.

Happy new year everyone!

talloola
watching fox and cnn celebrations bringing in the new year. My husband has gone to bed, we wished each other a happy new year, and we'll do something fun tomorrow, first day of 2008

We will celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2008, and normally I would have thought that would make the people in that position very old, but in this case, NOT TRUE

We were married September 27, l958, and I was 19 and he was 21, seems like yesterday.

a couple more minutes till midnight, so happy new year everyone, be happy, have a good time and a great 2008

talloola
Happy New Year Everyone Have A Great 2008, O K, whatever, thought my other post didn't go anywhere, so what the hey, we'll do it again.

Andem
I echo what Zan said

To everyone at CanadianContent: Have an amazing New Year and make the most out of the parties where ever you may be.

SwitSof
Bonne année!
Hope this new year is a fresh good start to fulfill new resolutions, to fulfill your dreams may them be a dream career and a dream significant other and etc.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by warrior_wonView Post

Don't you mean that you resolve to make God's lil minions nicer to you... And to use whatever means necessary to effect that end? You make the same resolution every year. And you get nowhere with it. lmfao!

Poke not what ye do not understand, read the directions, use commonsence, but poke not what ye do not understand, lest the poke back pierce your words.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

Where I see myself wanting to focus more attention is on my relationships with people in my life that I value. I think I've taken their contribution to my sense of well being for granted somewhat - I find myself filled with gratitude by the presence of so many wonderful people in my life - I'd like to put more effort into making sure those people really know how appreciated they are by me.

So I am hoping to bring that reminder forward with me into the New Year and celebrate the illusion of a fresh start by honouring the people in my life that enrich my days just by showing up. Some of those people are right here - so I'd like to start by thanking all of you who show up to share of yourselves - bringing fresh ideas, thought provoking and eye opening perspectives, laughs, camaraderie and a daily infusion of the spirit of community into my life. Happy New Year everyone!

That's GREAT Zan. It is also one of those moments of synchronicity for me to read this as one of my first posts of the New Year.

Last night I welcomed in my New Year with a group of people who live in my condo building. This is the first time I have done that although I have lived here for almost a decade. I am no longer a party girl and I do not believe in resolutions. I believe them to be promises of failure. One can not hold oneself to a year of change from some reckless hope. It is psychologically impossible to make that kind of commitment to change.

I have no family and thus I usually spend the night connecting with friends on the phone. I have a drink and I go to bed as early as possible. This year I decided to reach out in a different way as I would like to widen my world in small ways so I decided to begin at home.

I had an incredible community experience.

We took food and our wine and met in our social room in the late afternoon. At 51 I was the youngest and the oldest was 91. People loosened up after a drink or two and the room got louder and more relaxed. We sat in a circle and we shared food, and memories that had been special for each of us. We laughed and we connected. A few people got hammered but no one had to drive so that was no problem. Well one guy did as he is in a wheel chair. But he only had to get to the elevator. lol

We even talked about "love" for each other as a community because there was a flow and a force within the room that was amazing. It was a good reminder that we are surrounded by others who are only too happy, to help, and to give and to share if we allow them to.

It was a wonderful end to the year and a bright hope for a new year. The power lays in our hands. It is what we do with it that matters.

That is what I want to focus on this year. I want my connections to matter as usual but I want the people to know. I am going to keep work on keeping things real and up front in a positive way for that was my focus for this past year. But now I want to tell people that they matter whether I know them as my inner circle of friends, or from my internet connections, or work, or because they live in my building or because they just rang my groceries in at the check out. I want to recognize there is always someone behind the face or behind the screen and I want them to know.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS.

jimshort19
Zan, "... I prefer to take a little inventory of my beliefs, values, life in general - and assess whether or not I'm living as true to myself as I would like to be ..."

Once a year Zan has a life crisis, rebuilds his or her personality, and starts over again. I do the same thing. Time for the annual personality change. January first is a memorable day. Perhaps too much so.

Time to take stock once again, to go to the basement, remove Santa from the freezer and hack off another leg for the dogs. I'm going to be nicer to the dogs this year.

lone wolf
New Years' resolutions? Never could stick to 'em. They come in the "what am I gonna be doing next New Years" variety now. So far, I've managed to keep those. Years are like landings. Any one's a good one if you survive it....

Bonne Année!

Woof!

darkbeaver
Happy NEWYEAR ONE AND ALL. I never make resolutions, it's to much pressure, and anyway I'm perfect the way I am.

senorita
I have three new years resolutions and I am sticking to them.

(p.s happy new year)