Yuletide Greeting

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Now that the shopping season has just began, I'dd like to wish everyone a Pagan Yuletide greeting. Magical trees, gift giving, feasting and dancing naked around fires at this time of year predates Christianity.

Sure its changed somewhat over time. i.e. Most of us don't dance naked anymore. ;)

Even the Catholic church finally stopped executing people for celebrating it when the Christian calender finally became as accurate as the Pagan one. This pagan festival has remained synchronized with the Birth of Jesus Christian festival ever sinnce... more or less... given 12 days of Christmas.

Christians aren't the only entities to contribute to Yuletide. Shopping for example is a recent contribution by corporations.

In this season of peace, goodwill and charity, I hope everyone of all races, religions, creeds and creations celebrate the lenghtening of day even if that means embracing an established tradition or creating a new one...

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I didn't know that gift giving was part of the pagan yuletide tradition. I thought it originated from the three wiremen.

Reactions: Nuggler

triedit

inimitable
In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis ([FONT=verdana,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Goddess[/FONT][/FONT] of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.
http://de.essortment.com/christmaspagan_rece.htm

Christmas Carroling was begun as a Roman pagan tradition (mummers)
Kissing under the mistletoe is a fertility ritual.
The Druids worshipped trees
Yule is a celebration of the circle of life, begun on the Winter Solstice (generally around Dec 22)

it was Pope Julius I who declared the arbitary birthdate of Christ to be Dec 25 back in 350 AD

We Pagans gladly share our celebrations with everybody! Being in a state of worship can never be a bad thing, regardless of the God you choose. (pseudo-satanists excluded of course)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
In this season of peace, goodwill and charity, I hope everyone of all races, religions, creeds and creations celebrate the lenghtening of day even if that means embracing an established tradition or creating a new one...
Well the days won't technically lengthen until after December 22nd but the peace, goodwill and charity part sound promising. :smile:

Kissing under the mistletoe is a fertility ritual.
Good lord, that could be frightening, thank goodness it never worked for me. ;-)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I suppose you'll all be wanting the whole day off. Hrrumph/cough/cough. I'll be watching the 1953 version of Christmas Carol with Alistar Simm. That's my favourite movie. I'll have to drag the length of chain that I'v forged in life the next day though. Throw another lump of hash on the fire Bob and get home to your beautiful family.:smile:

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
As an aside, the Magi (according to Matthew 2:1-3) were not led immediately to Jesus birthplace. They were initially led to King Herrod.
Weren't they originally sent to kill Jesus? I read/heard that somewhere...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Weren't they originally sent to kill Jesus? I read/heard that somewhere...
Nah, they were the gift boys remember, gold, frankincense and myrrh. An angel turned them aside so that Harrod couldn't locate the baby. I think... but as the song says, I could be wrong about the angel.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I'm not knocking those great presents they brought,just thinking that a few dozen diapers would have been appreciated more by Mary:smile:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I think the three wise guys were sent along to Herrod, to seek info as to the location of the big J.

Herrod, hearing Big J being called "king of the Jews" went a bit apesh!t, since he was sort of the king of the Jews, and was, sort of, pissed that some interloper was out there potentially gunning (or knifing or spearing) for him, figuratively speaking.

Hence, he ordered the execution of every newborn male child, or male child up to age 6 (I think), in the immediate vicinity. ............(slaughter of the innnocents???)

But, the Big J, being safely ensconsed in a stable along with his mother and father, Marie, and Joe, missed the massacre, although they might have heard the "thuck" of kids' heads being bashed against pillars and posts, and the wailing of desperate parents .

T'was thus that the heavenly Father started a big pile of peace, love and understanding, which has toddled right along till the present day. Crucifixion of Christians, feeding same to lions, Spanish Inquisition, conquest of the New World and the decimation of the indigenous tribes, (gold might have had something to do with that also---gold in the name of God, that is), Crusades, Salem witch trials..........Yepper God is great!!!:cool:

Here endeth the first Nuggler lesson, now turn in yer HIM books to ...........................:roll:

:read2:Merry ****ing Christmas

Reactions: s243a

Mass Effect

Nov 18, 2007
Mount Washington
There is a lot of Yuletide cheer in Sweden as Asatru the religion of the north was recognized this year along with most of Nordic countries and Spain. Before I left for Canada, un north they promote themselves with their close-knit kindred centers of worship.