The Real reason People Become Depressed After Christmas

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Of course, the major reason is that it's Winter, but also, the weight gain from the holiday feasting, the bills rolling in from all that Christmas shopping,the income tax forms that come to your home just after Christmas and all those financial consultants trying to get you to maximixe your RSPs.:smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Why wait for Christmas Missle get that solar depravation depression started now, I have. Then after Jesus day if you choose to survive you'll be better able to concentrate on the other stuff.:smile:

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I would be interested to know how many of these depressed people work in retail during the Christmas season. People will talk about Christmas cheer yet seem to forget all about it while Christmas shopping. Customers are rude, demanding, impatient and extremely selfish. They will lose it for having to wait 2 more minutes for till tape or other trivial reason.
The Christmas season in retail is a stressful time with new employees to train, longer hours, more stock, and cranky customers. So this Christmas just remember to be nice the sales people who really are just trying to help you out!

Just one more thought! It is interesting because on Boxing day it seems all the crankyness is gone and people coun't be happier to stand in line with their bargain for an hour!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I would be interested to know how many of these depressed people work in retail during the Christmas season. People will talk about Christmas cheer yet seem to forget all about it while Christmas shopping. Customers are rude, demanding, impatient and extremely selfish. They will lose it for having to wait 2 more minutes for till tape or other trivial reason.
The Christmas season in retail is a stressful time with new employees to train, longer hours, more stock, and cranky customers. So this Christmas just remember to be nice the sales people who really are just trying to help you out!

Just one more thought! It is interesting because on Boxing day it seems all the crankyness is gone and people coun't be happier to stand in line with their bargain for an hour!
Ha couldn't ya just bitch slap some of those people? Just before I leave retail I am going to allow myself to turn on just one customer. I am going to tell them what I truly think. AND I am going to use every salty word in the book.

If they looked closely, they would realize that the huge smile revealing my pearly whites does not extend to my eyes which in fact are quite murderous looking... heheheh

The stress and pressure of the holidays to find the right gifts, wrap them in intriguing and creative ways, bake, cook huge meals and keep peace amongst family members who would prefer to kill each other and do it all with a smile and grace is more than many can handle.

I do everything small with people I actually love. Screw the rest. I like Christmas.

I love Christmas, it's just the queueing up afterwards (to return something toobig, wrong size, wrong colour and all the other excuses) when you get behind someone who is bitching at the assistant (who probably did not sell the item in the first place) is when I would like to plant my size nines in all the orifices of that person. we are still supposed to be in the festive season, but some .......customers feel that all assistants are their prime targets.

triedit

inimitable
It was even crowded in the grocery store last Saturday. Of course it's one of those big chain grocery places that carry other stuff too. But who in thier right mind Christmas shops at Loblaws? I just wanted stuff for dinner!

My shopping is mostly done. Still have a couple of things, but for the most part I stuck to my budget (first time ever!) and am basically done.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Ha couldn't ya just bitch slap some of those people? Just before I leave retail I am going to allow myself to turn on just one customer. I am going to tell them what I truly think. AND I am going to use every salty word in the book.

If they looked closely, they would realize that the huge smile revealing my pearly whites does not extend to my eyes which in fact are quite murderous looking... heheheh

The stress and pressure of the holidays to find the right gifts, wrap them in intriguing and creative ways, bake, cook huge meals and keep peace amongst family members who would prefer to kill each other and do it all with a smile and grace is more than many can handle.

I do everything small with people I actually love. Screw the rest. I like Christmas.

Oh yes, ain't Christmas grand.:roll:
We quit the running after the perfect gift a few years, well, many years ago, suggesting our friends do the same. Then, after that, we started "presents for immediate family", it is quite big, and our cash reserves ain't. This year we had a conflab with the kin, and we all agreed, kids get money, and they buy for the grandkids and put our name on it. . We will too, :roll: of course. Nothing like being firm.

I do feel for people who work the retail outlets this time of year, but I also feel for me when I'm trying to check through, and the cashier is talking about last night's date with her buddy at the next cash...........happens far too often. Then they get the smile with the killing eyes. Sorry. I do count, also..............I think:wave:No the salami ain't mine, dear, it belongs to the guy behind me............sorry that you thought it was mine. I should have spoken sooner. All my fault. Of course. No problem. Have a nice day yourself.
****ing@#@%$&^*(%%$$%^^$$$^$^$%$^%%$%$^%%&*&*burger flippin **** brained little @#%$^%%$%$T&*%$#go the **** back to school and get a #$$^^*^&^%^()()))@$#, or at least pay ****ing attention. S'all I ask, I ain't hard on retail folks. Shat!!! I forgot my @$^T&&*(&^%$&(*)(debit card................Jessssusss@#@%&*^%$%dog gam.................:angry3: (feel better now)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Since we're on the topic:::::::::::::::::::

Why do cashiers (not all but enough to piss ya off), call customers "dear" ???

I don't even know ya lady, and I think that's just a tad condescending. Probably trying to make up for the fact you have a sh!t job, and have to deal with the great unwashed every day. Well BOO ****ING HOO, sucks to be you.

You don't even, ever, have to call me sir. I ain't one (a sir), just say thanks for shopping at (wherever), and I'll say "thanks" too, and leave with a cheery demeanor, as I have been treated like a real person. God that means a lot.

Dear is fer one's ya love, or "deer" as in one's ya shoot. Don't never get them confused, eh8O

:read2:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Far from it Boiler old chap. We are a jovial bunch, once you get to know us; which you won't with the value judgments .

But have a jolly good Christmas with your Kringle lights an all, tosh tosh old poop.

Slosh back a warm beer for me.

:laughing6::bs:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oh yes, ain't Christmas grand.:roll:
We quit the running after the perfect gift a few years, well, many years ago, suggesting our friends do the same. Then, after that, we started "presents for immediate family", it is quite big, and our cash reserves ain't. This year we had a conflab with the kin, and we all agreed, kids get money, and they buy for the grandkids and put our name on it. . We will too, :roll: of course. Nothing like being firm.
Yeah, you have to be careful what you agree to as well. Last year I "agreed" with one of my girlfriends that we would no longer exchange Christmas gifts. She'd been bitching and moaning about it for months. All the hassle etcetera. I felt awful like I had imposed upon her for years "making" her shop for me. Anyway, she comes over for the Christmas drink thing prior to and low and behold she pulls a !@#$ing present out of a bag. Said she had changed her mind. I had to dig under the freaking tree and give her a present specifically intended for another girlfriend and then go out shopping again. Not that it was a big problem buy come on...
I do feel for people who work the retail outlets this time of year, but I also feel for me when I'm trying to check through, and the cashier is talking about last night's date with her buddy at the next cash...........happens far too often. Then they get the smile with the killing eyes. Sorry. I do count, also..............I think:wave:
Yeah I feel for us too, but I also like you lost little guys that leave everything till the last minute and have to rely upon my help. It's gonna cost ya big time add on, add on, add on. Cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching. And all my staff are well trained too. Hehe. AND, if it is a big success I'll also see your harried ass next year to drop even bigger bucks with me cause ya trust me... lovin' it. :)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Shop early, shop online, stock up on booze, double up on the vitamin D, and life is wonderful.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Since we're on the topic:::::::::::::::::::

Why do cashiers (not all but enough to piss ya off), call customers "dear" ???

I don't even know ya lady, and I think that's just a tad condescending. Probably trying to make up for the fact you have a sh!t job, and have to deal with the great unwashed every day. Well BOO ****ING HOO, sucks to be you.

You don't even, ever, have to call me sir. I ain't one (a sir), just say thanks for shopping at (wherever), and I'll say "thanks" too, and leave with a cheery demeanor, as I have been treated like a real person. God that means a lot.

Dear is fer one's ya love, or "deer" as in one's ya shoot. Don't never get them confused, eh8O

:read2:
Beats me but if ya call me dear I'm gonna rip ya a new one 'cause by the time I am shopping I am done with being nice. Other thing is, since I am retail, you have about 30 seconds to get your ass over to me and help or I am not going to be happy. If you are really busy I'll give you five, after that I am looking for a manager. Chop, chop folks, times a ticking.

On the other hand, I won't waste their time with show me this, show me that. Thanks, I'll think about it. I shop like a man. I know what I want, how much I am willing to spend and what features are a must. I am in and out. See, told ya I am just like a man. ;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I used to work at Wal-Mart. It made me want to hang myself with garland. The sheer amount of abuse. And the criminals... sheesh. One guy spent half an hour chatting me up, only to nearly tackle me once he'd tried to make his purchase with a stolen credit card. I was so shaken up. The whole thing was a lesson in the insanity of the human race.

And Boxing Day was only good depending where you were working. Work returns and your job was HELL.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My My You are a dreary lot as a suggestion XChristmas is cancelled this year, so switch off the cringle lights.

Ha ha, oops guess that should be ho, ho....
maybe put a few horns under the halo eh? :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My My You are a dreary lot as a suggestion XChristmas is cancelled this year, so switch off the cringle lights.

We're not decorating this year, so it just may feel that way! It will be weird to not have any decs up.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We're not decorating this year, so it just may feel that way! It will be weird to not have any decs up.
I just dragged mine all up from the basement. Gonna get an early start this year as well as going to bake....*looks around* who said that...

If you're not decorating, here's a Christmas Santa-ball for ya...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... that's so cute!

we're going away this year.... our first ever big christmas trip... for almost two whole weeks. christmas at my sister's, new years at a friend's, both of whom are is Saskatchewan. Plus, we're renovating so we figured, why decorate? there's nowhere to put them, and we won't be here for the crucial weeks anyway.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I get all my gifts on line and take care of that business in October and November

Christmas to me isn't shopping at all... but getting together with people I haven't seen for a while, reconnecting with close friends and doing something different, depending on the snowpack this year...or we might spend it at the beach....lots of choices.

One thing I enjoy is the tall ships Christmas celebrations up and down the coast.....

I like to go to carol services starting with little kids.... up to the 'big deal choirs'..... and my special thing is to serve Chistmas Dinner at the mission.....where Christmas is a total surprise every year - and the impact is always huge.