City Raccoons

karrie
we had deer problems where i used to live. People started carrying paint ball guns. They're smart enough to learn that your yard's not worth the pain, and I'd assume raccoons would learn quickly too.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

we had deer problems where i used to live. People started carrying paint ball guns. They're smart enough to learn that your yard's not worth the pain, and I'd assume raccoons would learn quickly too.

Discharging a firearm in a built-up area - paintball or not - is a weapons offence.

Woof!

#juan

We still have deer problems but the racoon problems were the worst. My neighbor's old cat was torn to hell and killed by these ring-tailed rodents. I don't know if there is a solution to the deer problem other than to plant stuff they don't eat.

Are paint ball fired by a blank cartridge or C02?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

We still have deer problems but the racoon problems were the worst. My neighbor's old cat was torn to hell and killed by these ring-tailed rodents. I don't know if there is a solution to the deer problem other than to plant stuff they don't eat.

Are paint ball fired by a blank cartridge or C02?

The deer where we lived weren't eating our plants... they were eating the natural borders around our yards, and believe it or not, tearing open our garbage. The biggest issue was safety, as they'd charge you when you left the house, or when you got home and were trying to get into the house. The guns were CO2 cartridge guns. My pump action bb gun worked pretty good too... they recognized any gun, and wouldn't charge so long as you had it with you. a shot anywhere near them would get them out of your yard.

Weapons offense perhaps, but, worth not being trampled by a deer, and IMO, firing off a paintball or two is worth it if it means you don't have to trap and kill an animal.

#juan

The deer where we lived weren't eating our plants... they were eating the natural borders around our yards, and believe it or not, tearing open our garbage. The biggest issue was safety, as they'd charge you when you left the house, or when you got home and were trying to get into the house. The guns were CO2 cartridge guns. My pump action bb gun worked pretty good too... they recognized any gun, and wouldn't charge so long as you had it with you. a shot anywhere near them would get them out of your yard.

Weapons offense perhaps, but, worth not being trampled by a deer, and IMO, firing off a paintball or two is worth it if it means you don't have to trap and kill an animal.

For what it's worth Karrie, my solution to deer charging would have been a pragmatic solution that would have resulted in a venison roast or two and damn any weapons offense.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

For what it's worth Karrie, my solution to deer charging would have been a pragmatic solution that would have resulted in a venison roast or two and damn any weapons offense.

I don't own a gun, and going to that much trouble to get registered and get a weapon would just be ridiculous. A bb gun or paint gun works well for scaring them away, without the risk of missing and killing one of your neighbors at their dining room table.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Hey. Maybe Racoons aren't that bad.

That is one very ugly looking creature... worse even than my ex... holy. That could stuff a lot of mushrooms...

Unforgiven
Has anyone tried one of these?
the following is a link to a comercial site "Lee Valley".
www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,51555&ap=2 (external - login to view)

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Discharging a firearm in a built-up area - paintball or not - is a weapons offence.

Woof!

Paintball guns are not considered a firearm.....if they were, they could not be used for their intended purpose. All the paintball gus I've ever seen were powered by compressed air.......

lone wolf
Shoot someone who doesn't want to be shot, or be witnessed by someone to whom any form of launched projectile is a weapon - and see what happens. I didn't write the conflicting array of laws ... nor am I *ahem* entirely obedient to them....

Woof!

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Shoot someone who doesn't want to be shot - or witnessed by someone to whom any form of launched projectile is a waepon - and see what happens. I didn't write the conflicting array of laws ... nor am I *ahem* entirely obedient to them....

Woof!

I don't mean to split hairs.....but here I go....

ANYTHING used to assault or threaten anyone can be classified as a "weapon". If I rolled up a newspaper and whacked you thoroughly with it (no offense intended ) that newspaper would be, in law, a weapon.

A firearm is entirely different......it has its own set of (ludicrous) laws, but to be in violation of them requires that the item at hand launcjh a projectile at a velocity of more than 500 metres a second. Paint ball guns don't.

Niflmir
Why not just get a dog? Dog barks in the middle of the night, you go out and make sure the stick is big enough they don't get near you. Barring that, you could just rig up an electric fence.

lone wolf
No need to split hairs ... just check with your local authorities because every one of them interpret law in any way that best suits them at that particular time. I'll be only too happy to let you pay the fine I got for discharging a firearm - shooting off a paint pellet - in a built-up area....

Woof!

sandytravis
yeah...i have the same problem. i wonder if there are any laws preventing me from a little target practice

The conductor
Racoons, creatures of the night. They are very smart. They are a member of the bear family. Try live trapping before resorting to shooting them or otherwise disposing of them.
In the city here they are everywhere because they have unlimited supply of food. We had a problem with them at the cottage but we used bungee cords to tie up the lid of the garbage can. They were not amused.

Crashed
I'm quite sure we have 'coons rifling through our garbage at night. In fact, i'm almost positive and it's getting to be a major pain in the ***.
I haven't seen it/them in action but whatever it is, is strong enough to push over a full garbage can to get at it's contents. Old Jazz hasn't noticed a damn thing.

lone wolf
Feed Ol' Jazz in the morning. By showtime, he'll be hungry enough to be interested.

Woof!