City Raccoons

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I caught 2 of these huge raccoons ripping my garbage pails apart tonight, is their any law that would prevent me from terminating such animals?

Honestly, I despise these animals... they tear my green bit apart weekly and anything else they can get into.

I kid you not, the raccoons that come out around here are proably a good 35lbs... suckers are huge.

Last edited:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I caught 2 of these huge raccoons ripping my garbage pails apart tonight, is their any law that would prevent me from terminating such animals?

Honestly, I despise these animals... they tear my green bit apart weekly and anything else they can get into.

I kid you not, the raccoons that come out around here are proably a good 35lbs... suckers are huge.

I think racoons are considered a pest so it's open season. Live trap them then drown them in a creek or lake. Or hit them with a fish bonker.:violent1:

If they're not pests they sure can't be protected as there is no population problem.:sign12:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Big Nasty Coons!!!

Depends on whar ya live there Durka:

Sunnyvale?? Get Julian to off the bastards.

I would shoot them, but then, they know that, and they don't mess with Soprano garbage.......badda bing badda boom.

Make sure they are deceased before laying a finger on them, and they are vicious, don't like being shot, and will totally destruct your hand in about a nanosecond. I would too, if you shot me.:angry3:.....owww!!

Kill'em, Durka Durka. Kill'em all!!:angryfire::cool: PeopleEnjoyingTastyAnimals will thank ya.

:laughing6:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
A lil Bow action is even better...

Silent death becomes them.

I'll be hunting small game this year when the Deer hunts done...need some assistance Durka?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I'm sure it is illegal to discharge a firearm in Durka's backyard. On the other hand, nobody can hear them scream from underwater.;-)

Hey Durka, I got a Rubbermaid garbage shed. Fits three pails on the bottom and my recycle on the shelves above. Coons haven't figured it out, yet anyway. :smile:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Yes there is. It's the law of being humane. To allow a creature who is NOT smarter then you to outwit you and leave you resorting to wanting to kill it says something. Something not nice. I won't type it out here.

There are inexpensive ways of keeping them out of your garbage while saving their lives. They are highly intelligent creatures. They are simply trying to survive. We've taken much of their territory away and they are fortunate enough and smart enough to have adapted successfully. and now you want to kill them?

Empathy. Humans need more empathy. How about even the score and off a few pesky people first?

Reactions: flutterby

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Rat poison and bacon grease works wonders - if you can keep the neighbourhood critters out. A loaded mouse trap in a liquor store bag spooks the first one. A sprinkle of Javax isn't healthy for their wee noses. Shootin' 'em in an urban centre can get your butt tossed in jail.

It's actually sort of fun to watch a coon square off with a stray cat....

Luck....

Woof

flutterby

Time Out
Oct 3, 2007
It's actually sort of fun to watch a coon square off with a stray cat....
this also explains all those 'lost kitty' signs stapled onto telephone poles.

excellent post, twila. if people keep their garbage secure in a secure area, the coons and coyotes won't hang around.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
this also explains all those 'lost kitty' signs stapled onto telephone poles.

excellent post, twila. if people keep their garbage secure in a secure area, the coons and coyotes won't hang around.

Secure isn't always possible on collection day. Coons would be cool around here. This is bear country.

Woof!

flutterby

Time Out
Oct 3, 2007
a lot of people put their garbage out the night before, instead of first thing in the morning, and then they act surprised when the nocturnal critters enjoy the smorgasbord. even worse are the people who don't bother with cans and just leave a couple of bags out. the crows make short work of those.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
My brother had raccoons in his ATTIC in Toronto, fer God's sake. He called an exterminator, who took a look and then told him city by-laws prevented him from doing ANYTHING, because mama raccoon had little baby varmits......HUH!?????

Shoot, shovel, shut up.....if you are in a place that is feasible.....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My brother had raccoons in his ATTIC in Toronto, fer God's sake. He called an exterminator, who took a look and then told him city by-laws prevented him from doing ANYTHING, because mama raccoon had little baby varmits......HUH!?????

Shoot, shovel, shut up.....if you are in a place that is feasible.....

That's when you put your city Animal Control on an autodialer with recorded message....

Woof!

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Racoons are also not stupid critters.

They also make great pets if you train them young enough.

That being said they are prone to rabies and a danger to people in your area. Even if they don't bite a child, they can spread it easily to family pets who then bite children.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
My sister, who lives in Toronto, was being disturbed by raccoons every night. They would find food and then clean it off in her pool. She paid to have them trapped and taken away. The man paints a stripe on them so that he knows when he catches raccoons that they are not ones he has caught before. He drives them far out into the country and drops them off there. It turned out that she had thirteen raccoons in all!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Yes there is. It's the law of being humane. To allow a creature who is NOT smarter then you to outwit you and leave you resorting to wanting to kill it says something. Something not nice. I won't type it out here.

There are inexpensive ways of keeping them out of your garbage while saving their lives. They are highly intelligent creatures. They are simply trying to survive. We've taken much of their territory away and they are fortunate enough and smart enough to have adapted successfully. and now you want to kill them?

Empathy. Humans need more empathy. How about even the score and off a few pesky people first?

I already have the supposed raccoon proof pails, the raccoons have it figured out though. I don't think I could actually kill one, would like to boot em in the arce though.

How about cayanne pepper sauce on the lids? hmm.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Hey Durka,

You might want to think twice about the cayanne pepper - I was prepared to use that in my flower beds to contend with the neighborhood cats... until one of my neighbors told me that cats have been known to claw their own eyes out if they get that stuff in their eyes. Don't know if that's true or not, never heard it before, but it was enough to stop me from doing it.