A new statistic to show how great you are


Curiosity
#31
Toro uber brat, genius, and handsome feller..... I wouldn't put it past you to be 'trading your greenies' for other things hehehe

ahem this is a joke
 
triedit
#32
I use statistics like this to show OTHERS how great I am...I already know!
 
Tonington
#33
In Codd's case, it doesn't make any sense to round down to the nearest 500, because at zero posts you can't really have any greenies. There are limitations to the calculation, the lower your post count, the more skewed the results. Also, I wonder if we graphed the post count versus reps given, I'd bet the relationship isn't linear. Maybe new posters with a new posting style get more rep initially, then as people become accustomed to the posting style, rep gets harder to earn?
 
eh1eh
#34
Quote:

A little green box isn't a measurement of the worth of the human.... just a fun game.

Indeed, and somewhat subjective. I recently got a green rep comment on the merits of one of my posts then a couple of days later a complaint came through moderation and I was requested to remove a term one person found offensive while another took it in context and got the point. I just like the rep comments because you can acknowledge some one privately. Besides Curio you get 2001.92 on my circufrance method.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eh1eh
We should all check our circumfrence . Take your posts divide by greenies multiply by 3.14.

 
Curiosity
#35
What about the red ones (YES I HAVE TWO)......

Would they take away from the greenies ? And how much weight would they be given...

1 red = 1 greenie???

I also have a yellow cuz I reported myself for calling someone a bigot once.... it has expired but is still there to remind me.
 
Coddfish
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post


The fact I can hardly do calculations from reading words and pictures and diagrams or blocks of numbers on paper, nearly tanked me in school. Then I was lucky to find out it is a brain impairment
or glitch in my learning process, and I need to have "hands on" or "tactile" information in order to have cognition.

When I found out what the problem was, I was able to improve and use other means or arriving at answers... not always perfect but at least I was able to be included in testing.

We aren't all perfect at everthing.... thank god or we would be hard to deal with in real life...

A little green box isn't a measurement of the worth of the human.... just a fun game.

You know, the same thing happened to me too. I had a bit of a glitch in my learning process in Math as well. Math was a nightmare for me. I couldn't get it at all. But, once I got some well needed help, my Math skills improved. They may not be great, but at least they're adequate.

Anyway, you are right. We aren't perfect at everything, and if we were, this world would be terribly boring.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I just have to mention one more thing...

Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

What about the red ones (YES I HAVE TWO)......

Would they take away from the greenies ? And how much weight would they be given...

1 red = 1 greenie???

Who would ever give you a bad rep? You're so sweet and smart, that you don't even deserve to get a bad rep.
Last edited by Coddfish; Sep 29th, 2007 at 10:09 AM..
 
Dexter Sinister
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

... method two gives me 9/11 = 0.82

Whoa! 9/11! What would Logic 7 make of that?

If we must make such comparisons, why not use the actual numbers? If you look in your Control Panel you can see the number of rep points you've actually got, just divide that by your number of posts to get your average points per post.
 
goat
#38
Quote:

dude ...anyway i do it i come out looking like i'm into goats....

Please, I beg of you..

I am sensitive
 
Tonington
#39
With Dexter's method, I get 0.36 rep/post
 
Curiosity
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Indeed, and somewhat subjective. I recently got a green rep comment on the merits of one of my posts then a couple of days later a complaint came through moderation and I was requested to remove a term one person found offensive while another took it in context and got the point. I just like the rep comments because you can acknowledge some one privately. Besides Curio you get 2001.92 on my circufrance method.

[/i]

EH1eh

You know how to make a girl feel good - for sure..... only the word 'circumference' has me worred we are doing waist sizes hehehe...

Ta for the boost!
 
Curiosity
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by CoddfishView Post

You know, the same thing happened to me too. I had a bit of a glitch in my learning process in Math as well. Math was a nightmare for me. I couldn't get it at all. But, once I got some well needed help, my Math skills improved. They may not be great, but at least they're adequate.

Anyway, you are right. We aren't perfect at everything, and if we were, this world would be terribly boring.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I just have to mention one more thing...



Who would ever give you a bad rep? You're so sweet and smart, that you don't even deserve to get a bad rep.

Coddy that was so generous of you - and if you also have math problems, we are kin and you understand. You are right - the world would be boring and we would be robots moving in one direction in one step - no creativity there.

Ahem re the reds...I deserved one.... the other one was a personal statement .... I hope you never have to think otherwise of me Coddy... I am trying but I'm working with flawed material.....
 
eh1eh
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

EH1eh

You know how to make a girl feel good - for sure..... only the word 'circumference' has me worred we are doing waist sizes hehehe...

Ta for the boost!

I was being a smart alex but I guess it would have to be the circumference of personality.
 
Curiosity
#43
Eh

I luv you
 
shadowshiv
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Coddy that was so generous of you - and if you also have math problems, we are kin and you understand. You are right - the world would be boring and we would be robots moving in one direction in one step - no creativity there.

Ahem re the reds...I deserved one.... the other one was a personal statement .... I hope you never have to think otherwise of me Coddy... I am trying but I'm working with flawed material.....

How does a red point work? Does it make any different mention on your Profile page?

I would never give you a Red, but I have given you many a Greenie(Rep point, that is). You are worth every one of 'em.
 
Curiosity
#45
Shadow

Thank you for the greenies - I am embarrassed because I talk too much and blather on and people are kind to the fool....

My first red was a hoot.... you could see the steam rising from it.....I forget they are there unless I am changing a sig or an avatar.... and this one was from someone so upset with me he couldn't think of a nasty enough name so he called me a f....ing bot! hahaha.....

The second one wasn't that creative -
 
shadowshiv
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Shadow

My first red was a hoot.... you could see the steam rising from it.....I forget they are there unless I am changing a sig or an avatar.... and this one was from someone so upset with me he couldn't think of a nasty enough name so he called me a f....ing bot! hahaha.....

The second one wasn't that creative -

Wouldn't it slowly phase out? By this I mean disappear from the list. Some of the earliest rep points I got are now gone(including the 20 grey points I got when I first joined) to make room for the newer rep points I got. Unless there is some way of showing them again, and I just don't know what the heck I am doing.

Calling you a bot? Somehow I do not think that a bot would have the vibrant personality that you have.
 
shadowshiv
#47
Huh! For some reason, the words you typed in bold black did not show up in the previous quote.

However, what I wanted to say was this. You are certainly not a fool, and as for blathering on...we all do that. If all we did was type in monosyllable posts it would get boring quite quickly.
 
Pangloss
#48
I believe for me it's 2.5. 1,000+ posts, 5 greenies = 2.5

Is there an upper limit to the greenies you can have? Are people less likely to bother to leave a positive rep point on someone who already has lots of greenies, assuming the point has already been made?

Hmmmm. . .

Pangloss
 
hermanntrude
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Hermann

Why am I not surprised you thought that was a downer....


You couldn't recognize a fun comment if it hit you between the eyes....

Do you neeed guidance of a plastered a smiley face to indicate humor?

Looks like I do. Sorry. It's not the first time I've jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Have patience with me, I beg you. I am recently reduced to 5 hours sleep a night, and was never very good at not-jumping-to-conclusions in the first place
 
hermanntrude
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

In Codd's case, it doesn't make any sense to round down to the nearest 500, because at zero posts you can't really have any greenies. There are limitations to the calculation, the lower your post count, the more skewed the results. Also, I wonder if we graphed the post count versus reps given, I'd bet the relationship isn't linear. Maybe new posters with a new posting style get more rep initially, then as people become accustomed to the posting style, rep gets harder to earn?

I'm sure about that, tonington... I think each greenie on the main screen is harder to achieve than the one before, hence the newbies have a better score by my method

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Whoa! 9/11! What would Logic 7 make of that?

let's not ask him

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

If we must make such comparisons, why not use the actual numbers? If you look in your Control Panel you can see the number of rep points you've actually got, just divide that by your number of posts to get your average points per post.

I considered such a method, but it would require people to give away a statistic which seems to be designed to be private, since it only shows up on your control panel. It IS the ideal method, though, since as you say it gives the amount of greenies per post, or the amount of posts per greenie, depending on which way up you do the division.
 
Nuggler
#51
JAZUZ DOC!!! Ya been here about 3 months, and ya got over 3K posts.

THAT'S gotta be some kind of record!!!

Oh yah, I get about .25 or .0253..........woops............ -.0245

Ah well...............


 
Curiosity
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

Looks like I do. Sorry. It's not the first time I've jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Have patience with me, I beg you. I am recently reduced to 5 hours sleep a night, and was never very good at not-jumping-to-conclusions in the first place

Hermann - I have the solution because the last thing I want to have to do is worry how my posts are perceived and who would I hurt or damage or fracture or whatever..

Glide right on by my posts ok? Sorry you are tired.
 
Dexter Sinister
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

With Dexter's method, I get 0.36 rep/post

So did I, rounded to the nearest .01, on the day I made that post, but I got another greenie from some kind soul this morning and now it's .38.

I've been trying to puzzle out this morning how this points business works, without success. When I give reputation, all I get is a little pop up that gives me the option of simply approving or disapproving, plus room for a comment. I don't get to qualify the level of approval or disapproval. When I look at posts of mine that have received points, though, I do get qualifications, indicating the posts are viewed as "somewhat" or "extremely" positive or negative by whoever did the ranking. There are probably others but those are the only ones I've seen. I noticed once that a positive comment added 10 to my points total, but this morning's comment added 46. I also note that approval or disapproval from newbies doesn't change the point total. That leads me to suspect that points are weighted by the reputation of the person doing the ranking. This morning's approval took my total over 1000 points, and for a while I thought maybe you got one greenie under your name for every 100 points beyond a certain minimum level like 200, but I see I still have 8, so that's not right either.

I'd like to see a detailed description of the algorithm in use here.
 
hermanntrude
#54
where's andem when you need him?
 
no new posts