The Power of Makeup

hermanntrude
i've worn makeup before. I look better without.

Tonington
Hmmm, make-up to enhance my muscle definition, but that means I'll have to remove a lot of hair on my chest. Nah, not for me. Au natural has been working just fine

Twila
Makeup started with men, didn't it? I know high heEls, tights, wigs, and purses were all mens domain at first.
Last edited by Twila; Sep 26th, 2007 at 03:31 PM..

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

i've worn makeup before. I look better without.

Actually, eye make up is sometimes pretty cool on guys, until they cry - I never know what to say about those black streaks that run down their cheeks. I mean seriously, does one look away (like when a guy's fly in flappin' in the wind, or speak up. Always a tough call.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Oh yes, if make up can transform women like that, then a little transformation on men could only help matters. The make up seems to move the cheek highlights up a bit, cover up any marks like freckles, make the eyes sparkle and, generally speaking, take a number of years off women. Why shouldn't men take a few years off so women appreciate them a bit more too?

Men are like good wine - they improve with age

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by s_loneView Post

While make-up can do miracles, never forget that there is nothing as shocking as seeing a woman with no make-up when you are used to always see her with it...

Well, that does depend on just how much make-up she uses. If you don't overuse, it wouldn't be such a shock to see you without it.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by VereyaView Post

Men are like good wine - they improve with age

Don't they though!

And women? Before you answer that, let me clarify why I think men improve with age - it's because they become a little more subdued (testosterone relaxes a bit), have read a few books, and have discovered conversation topics outside of the field of sports - even learned some manners to go along with that sense of humour. Women ... improve with age too - and I'm sure someone can say why.

Vereya

why are all of you so interested in making yourselves into what you are not?
makeup is a lie. Sometimes very pretty, and I have no objection to using it on occasion, but seriously, to suggest that it's somehow wrong for a woman not to use it is just plain crazy.

make-up is a very useful thing, in the sense that it simplifies impressing your image of yourself onto others. After all, our appearance is the first thing about us that people see and evaluate, so it has to be up to the standards of a certain social situation you are in, and it has to be up to the standards of the people you want/need to impress. Make-up is a very useful tool in this case. Helps you to create the image you need.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Don't they though!

And women? Before you answer that, let me clarify why I think men improve with age - it's because they become a little more subdued (testosterone relaxes a bit), have read a few books, and have discovered conversation topics outside of the field of sports - even learned some manners to go along with that sense of humour. Women ... improve with age too - and I'm sure someone can say why.

Well, Ariadne, men do improve in the way you have described, because they have to. To use somewhat high-flown language, men fight the battle of life, and they have to equip themselves accordingly. They have to get on in life, to take care of their women and their children, to keep their life under control. That is what men do, because they are men, because it is what they have to do in life. And they have no choice, no other option. So to do all this in the best possible way, they have to grow, they have to develop, they just have to improve themselves.
With women it is a little bit different. Not every woman has to fight the battle. A woman has a choice - she can either fight her own battle, or get married and stay by her men. Those, who fight their battles, improve just like the men do. Those, who do not, may either improve or not. It all depends on what kind of person the woman is. If she is interested in developing herself as a personality, she will improve. If she is comfortable just with living quietly under her husband's protection, she will not. I have seen both instances.

Ariadne

<snipped for no particular reason except>
It all depends on what kind of person the woman is. If she is interested in developing herself as a personality, she will improve. If she is comfortable just with living quietly under her husband's protection, she will not. I have seen both instances.

I've seen men that don't want their wife to ever change, women that can't thrive in that environment, women that surpass men in managing it all, and women that crumble under the weight. Men sometimes do the same thing.

I suppose men and women can age like a good wine, but there's no guarantee.

Tonington
Yah, some of them age like an open container of yogurt.

Ariadne
And others like a dim light fading.

Vereya
Once again - everything depends on the kind of person that you are.

Twila
The reason made up women appeal to men goes back to basic instincts. Clear bright skin, bright shiny eyes mean healthy. A man is subconciously taking this all in. Women pick men who are rugged and virile looking. It has to do with reproducing the strongest possible offspring.

We may think we choose using our intellect but we'd be fooling ourselves. Instinct and self preservation are too strong.,

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

The reason made up women appeal to men goes back to basic instincts. Clear bright skin, bright shiny eyes mean healthy. A man is subconciously taking this all in. Women pick men who are rugged and virile looking. It has to do with reproducing the strongest possible offspring.

We may think we choose using our intellect but we'd be fooling ourselves. Instinct and self preservation are too strong.,

You so right Twila, now give me back my mascara.!!

hermanntrude

make-up is a very useful thing, in the sense that it simplifies impressing your image of yourself onto others. After all, our appearance is the first thing about us that people see and evaluate, so it has to be up to the standards of a certain social situation you are in, and it has to be up to the standards of the people you want/need to impress. Make-up is a very useful tool in this case. Helps you to create the image you need.

the image we ALL need is our OWN image. the one of our OWN face without the lies and deceit.

Dreadful Nonsense

the image we ALL need is our OWN image. the one of our OWN face without the lies and deceit.

Do not take this attitude in with you to the Cover Girl Makeup interview

JoeSchmoe
So slathering so much makeup on yourself to cover every freckle and make your skin into a perfect tan-coloured glow is realistic? Sure, slap some fake tanning on me, give me hair extensions and call me Fabio!

Idiotic. Unhealthy. Just plain silly.

Nuggler
Personally, Tammy Fay Baker, usta really turn my crank

.............not!

Did she die.? Hard to tell since she always looked embalmed.

karrie

I get what you're saying. But... I still feel more sure of myself when my scars are covered up, or my latest breakout is camouflaged a bit. And I like being able to add a little bit of mascara to show off the blue in my eyes. I don't like the highly made up make up though... I love my freckles, and I refuse to try to fill in and pretend my laugh lines don't exist.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I love my freckles, and I refuse to try to fill in and pretend my laugh lines don't exist.

I love freckles, too, though I only have them in summer, for a very short time. And when they do appear, I just run wild with happiness, saying to all of my friends - I've got freckles, I've got freckles!! And they get so sympathetic at once, replying - oh, don't you worry, they hardly show at all! LOL
That a real disappointment when they say that!