Chimps and Intelligence

hermanntrude
There WASN'T a viable option at the time. If those animals hadn't died, I would have. And so would millions of other children.

Let me tell you what happens to a diabetic who doesn't get insulin:

first they feel tired a lot, they tend to have a strange taste in their mouth and maybe their legs and arms get achey a lot. Their mouth gets really dry and gooey, then they start to lose weight. By this time they're peeing all the time and drinking tons to try and get rid of the horrible taste in their mouth. After a few months of this their eyes are starting to get damaged, little aneurysms busrting in their retinas. They can't tell yet but they're starting to go blind. At the same time their liver and kidneys are both being stretched to the limit, and there's a strange smell around them. They may be half their original weight now, and often feeling breathless or light-headed.

Around this time a parent usually realises something is wrong and takes their child to a doctor. This is when things get interesting:

Nowadays, a doctor does a simple test for glucose in the urine and/or blood, and when it comes back stupidly high the kid is immediately given insulin and will recover over the next few weeks and live a normal (but still difficult and short) life. Back as recently as the 60's, the doctor might well have said that it was diabetes but there wasn't anything they could do, and the parent would have had to watch the child slowly degenerate, slip in and out of a coma, going blind, their kidneys dying, their liver packing up and their breathing becoming more and more useless as their blood becomes too acidic to carry oxygen. Eventually, the child would have died.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Even if a viable option were found so animals didn't have to suffer. Would you still be all for animal testing?

Who would say that animals should suffer if there were a truly viable option? I can't think of any research institution that would. It's expensive and cumbersome to have to care for animals plus fund the committees and such who have to review and approve applications for research. Plus it's hard on the researchers to work with animals. They do it, because they feel it's necessary, but it doesn't come easily.

Not to mention that animals aren't a precise representation of how the human body and mind react.

I can't imagine any person or institute not jumping at the chance to use some other method.

Twila
Herman, I hadn't meant to anger you. I'm fully aware of how animal testing has saved people And I'm fully aware of the affect of ALL types of diabestes.

I'm a mixed bag. I almost died as a child BECAUSE of animal experiments. Almost died from the innoculations all children received. Almost died but was saved also because of animal testing.

They're are now viable options the free animals from being tortured for our benefit. I was only asking if you thought a viable option was there would you still want it done on animals.

Quote:

Society has defined the rights a prisoner loses, and the sentence they are to receive.

uhm, no. Society doesn't. Ask any victim if they're happy with the sentence rec'd by their victimizer...Judges and lawyers decide.

Laws were meant to be changed. As any African decendant and woman will attest to.

karrie

uhm, no. Society doesn't. Ask any victim if they're happy with the sentence rec'd by their victimizer...Judges and lawyers decide.

Laws were meant to be changed. As any African decendant and woman will attest to.

What I'm saying is that we've decided that the sentence a judge hands down is all we're allowed to punish them with. We can't decide, three months down the road 'let's heap some more on'. If we want laws changed, yes, we change them... but not to pile extra on top of men who've already been sentenced. I pointed that out when this topic first arose... if it was a clear part of sentencing, perhaps it would be a different issue.

hermanntrude

Herman, I hadn't meant to anger you. I'm fully aware of how animal testing has saved people And I'm fully aware of the affect of ALL types of diabestes.

I'm a mixed bag. I almost died as a child BECAUSE of animal experiments. Almost died from the innoculations all children received. Almost died but was saved also because of animal testing.

They're are now viable options the free animals from being tortured for our benefit. I was only asking if you thought a viable option was there would you still want it done on animals.

I'm not angry. Just trying to let you see the point:

You still don't see it though. You're asking a hypothetical question about IF there was an alternative. There wasn't, and there still isn't an alternative to animal testing. You can't develop drugs and treatments without testing on animals.

I don't believe that anywhere there are scientists who sit in a lab and say to themselves "hmmm I need to test something, but should I do it using animals or without? " and then decide " Actually it's much more fun with animals... I love it when they squeal and die in agony... and then I get to cut them open while they're still alive".

working with animals in the lab is a pain in the ****, training-wise, permissions-wise and expense-wise. Why would anyone do it if they didn't have to?

Twila
Quote:

We can't decide, three months down the road 'let's heap some more on'.

It's not punishment. It's a choice. They choose to go with this incentive program.

Herman, I do see your point. I didn't mean to infer that back then there was a choice. I'm simply suggesting that now maybe there is a choice.

Quote:

working with animals in the lab is a pain in the ****, training-wise, permissions-wise and expense-wise. Why would anyone do it if they didn't have to?

Exactly. We already have incarcerated individuals. Why not ask them if they'd like to do something positive for their fellow man.

hermanntrude

Herman, I do see your point. I didn't mean to infer that back then there was a choice. I'm simply suggesting that now maybe there is a choice..

For diabetes testing, the choice is no longer there to make. We know how to manage diabetes now, and so we rarely have to do such awful things to animals any more.

Other diseases still warrant the need for animal testing. Even if there IS a choice, it hardly seems like a choice when it's YOUR child who's going to die if it isn't done.

Twila
Quote:

Even if there IS a choice, it hardly seems like a choice when it's YOUR child who's going to die if it isn't done.

So your answer is yes to always test on animals.

hermanntrude
I can't predict the future. Perhaps one day we'll be able to make a computer program simulate the entire human body. But for the foreseeable future, animal testing is and will remain necessary. And I suspect if we ever designed the computer program to simulate the human body, some people would be up in arms about us "hurting" them too.

Twila
Herman, have you heard that they will in the future provide for sale a machine that sits on your counter that makes...meat? Maybe they'll be able to manufacture something like that?

They can grow ears on mice backs...maybe fake human flesh with no soul..

hermanntrude
I'm not sure about the concept of soul, that's another debate entirely.

But meat-machines in my head seem like an excellent idea. Meat is a very inefficient way to get food, and if it could be made in a more efficient and humane manner, that's great.

Twila
Quote:

But meat-machines in my head seem like an excellent idea

hmmm, meat machines in your head, eh? intersting. lol