signing your posts

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Why do people do it?

Each post has a picture and a big name at the top so you can TELL who wrote it. However some people still find the need to write their name at the end of each post. It's not a letter, so it's not a matter of courtesy, and it's not even a long-term message, since most posts get replied to within a few minutes...

it seems anachronistic and unnecessary. I have to admit it actually annoys me a bit, although i'm sure that's my problem, not yours.... just wondered what others think about it...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Why do people do it?

Each post has a picture and a big name at the top so you can TELL who wrote it. However some people still find the need to write their name at the end of each post. It's not a letter, so it's not a matter of courtesy, and it's not even a long-term message, since most posts get replied to within a few minutes...

it seems anachronistic and unnecessary. I have to admit it actually annoys me a bit, although i'm sure that's my problem, not yours.... just wondered what others think about it...

Agreed. It's not a problem for me but it is quite ridiculous. One person may have saw another do it on another board and thought wow, that looks like it came from someone who means business, someone that knows what they're talking about. Sure it's unnecessary and redundant and, it's not a legal brief, you're simply posting in a forum. Perhaps they'd like us to know that they have officially sanctioned their rants and ramblings. Or, perhaps this post was 'brought to you by ______'. Regardless, we know who you are and thanks for the contribution.

In the long run though, to each their bloody own.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
:lol: You did open yerself up to that one, Hermann!

I think some folks do it because their name and their nick don't match. Some folks add their real live name.

To some of us who've worked in an office setting for decades, it's just automatic. I worked for the government and learned that if you didn't make everything crystal clear, the deadwood in the office would arrive in their clown car, all in a lather of anxiety. I have distintive handwriting yet unless I signed every scrap of paper I wanted them to read, it created confusion among the dumber ranks.

For those of us that were born pre-internet, signing our writing is automatic. We used to actually sit down and **gasp** write letters that were sent snail mail. You signed those. Period. There was no thought of sending off a letter without signing off. Part of that is courtesy, part is following an old protocol, and part is owning our words.

Even now when I leave a note for Shell, I sign it. We are the only two in the house that can read. (Our Jack Russell is smart, but not quite able to read. Yet. She can spell.) Who else would be leaving her a note that says, "Sweetie, I've gone to walk the dog"? But it's always signed.

When you sign something, you own it. You're responsible for that string of words out there floating around the world. Thoughts, ideas, creative endeavours ... they are all children of our intelligence. Most of us sign them to give them roots in a system that will support them if challenged.

Probably a bit more existential than you were looking for, eh? Forgive me ... I'm still drinking my first coffee of the day.

(No signature)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... she signs it (no signature), and what's below it? The biggest fanciest sig of them all. LOL.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I wouldn't think of ever leaving a hand written note to anyone. My writing skills have deteriorated to the point of illegible. I blame my paperless job for that.... hell, I can't even type good. I'm pretty close to being Helen Keller.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
just the kind of answer i was looking for i think, cosmo.

I WAS born pre-internet but i always hated snail-mail anyway so the internet was wonderful for me. I often forget to sign (or even post) snail mail sometimes.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Lovley Cosmo.:smile:

I think this makes a case for signatures on every post. Now I've seen some forums where the sigs are bigger than the posts, yuk. But a simple small sig that appears every post might give each post that feel. Just a suggestion. Any intrest out there to bug Andem? He is reasonable as the ranks were picked by us.:smile:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I wouldn't think of ever leaving a hand written note to anyone. My writing skills have deteriorated to the point of illegible. I blame my paperless job for that.... hell, I can't even type good. I'm pretty close to being Helen Keller.

Whatever you do, don't answer the iron.