Votes: 26 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
I myself had never really made a point of locking my door unless I was gone for the day (ie. work) but when I was home or out shopping/having abeer or three or wotnot, it usually stayed unlocked. These days my door is locked for the shopping trips or runs to the corner store and all I can attribute it to is a change of residence from London to Edmonton (with a few months stopover on the Island). It's a strange feeling to have the need to lock up all the time... so I wonder... is this the norm?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Shell and I disagree on this one. I wouldn't bother locking the door but she insists. We do live in an apartment building, though, with security doors. If I lived ground floor, I'd probably be more likely to lock up.

Gad ... remember the days when you left the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition of the car at all times? Man, Canucklehead, we be gettin' old!

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
We ain't getting old, people are just getting nutty ;)

Ya, it's a very strange thing to lock the door behind you... it feels very very unnatural and confining. Either that or the meds wore off and the paranoia is back full force ROFL. (and fer those of ya who dun knowme... it's a JOKE!)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I leave it unlocked if I'm in the neighborhood. When I lived in a little acreage community, we never locked the house up, just the front door. The back was always left open 'just incase.' Incase a vehicle broke down and we needed to call a neighbor to let the dog out, or someone needed into the house for something. Besides, if someone breaks in, they're just gonna kick it in anyway... may as well not have them wrecking stuff.

But in the city, there's foot traffic. So there's the idea that once you get home, you wouldn't know if someone had come in the back door. So we lock everything when we're out. When we're home though, everything gets left open.

Actually, two days ago my husband had left for work, and returned fifteen minutes later when he wasn't expected. He walked right in the front door and when he saw me jump yelled "Hi! I'm Michael Moore!"

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Haven't left my keys in the ignition for a while (only because I want to stay in habit) but my door is never locked. Guess it's one of the big advantages of living out here in the boonies....

Wolf

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
I leave it unlocked if I'm in the neighborhood. When I lived in a little acreage community, we never locked the house up, just the front door. The back was always left open 'just incase.' Incase a vehicle broke down and we needed to call a neighbor to let the dog out, or someone needed into the house for something. Besides, if someone breaks in, they're just gonna kick it in anyway... may as well not have them wrecking stuff.

But in the city, there's foot traffic. So there's the idea that once you get home, you wouldn't know if someone had come in the back door. So we lock everything when we're out. When we're home though, everything gets left open.

Actually, two days ago my husband had left for work, and returned fifteen minutes later when he wasn't expected. He walked right in the front door and when he saw me jump yelled "Hi! I'm Michael Moore!"

LOL

When I was in London, my apartment door handle broke and seeing as it was a long weekend... good luck getting in touch with anyone to fix it so... I left the door handle off for two days before getting around to picking up a lock to replace it with. I had no concern for my stuff or that Michael Moore would be on me couch polishing off the last of my cold pizza n beer... although that woulda been one helluva wild convo when I got back if he were there :lol:

Last edited:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I do lock my doors when I'm away for any length of time, but I don't when I'm at home, or just stepping out briefly.

On more than a couple of occasions though, I've left my back patio door open by accident and come down in the morning to my curtains flapping out the open door. I've left my garage door open - which is probably really bad because there's a door into my kitchen (which I also hardly ever lock) through the garage. I've even left my keys hanging in the front door lock overnight before.... but that's just due to being in no condition to operate a set of keys at the time ;-) hmmm come to think of it, I've even left my van parked in the driveway with the windows down more than a few times.

I chalk it up to the fact that there's a much more affluent neighborhood only a block away.... I figure anyone who's intent on doing a B&E is gonna take the trouble to walk the extra block where all the good stuff's at. :lol:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I chalk it up to the fact that there's a much more affluent neighborhood only a block away.... I figure anyone who's intent on doing a B&E is gonna take the trouble to walk the extra block where all the good stuff's at. :lol:

Aren't those affluent folks more likely to have alarm systems too?

Wolf

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just don't really see the point in worrying about locks all the time... theives usually break them or pick them to get in. The only people I've known who were robbed had their homes locked up tight when it happened. I worry about locking up at night, because I sleep so deeply I'd never know if someone was in the house with me. But other than that, I don't stress. Even with my van being broken into last night. What's the point of living in fear?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I always lock my door,always,always,and having doing it for the past 30 years since I left the roost. I do have a large number of psycho ex's though. But my parents still to this day do not lock the door. I think it is because my brothers and sisters would come and go at all hours and they want us to be always welcome. And,no one has ever broken in,even though they live in a moderately size city.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
I am a bit paranoid about this "locking door"
AT NIGHT.
During the day, we actually leave our door open,unlocked...but when we noticed stupid flies invading our home, we really had no choice...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have my doors locked 'almost ' all the time. I would feel so silly and neglectful if someone came barging in, causing us unnecessary harm, which could have been prevented with locked doors. Same
thing with my car, always locked, even when I just run into a store for a minute or two, or, when parked in the driveway.

I never feel like I'm trapped inside, just secure and safe, and things are the same in my house with the doors locked or unlocked, doesn't change my activities inside, just makes me feel safer.

Those locks are installed for a reason.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Aren't those affluent folks more likely to have alarm systems too?

Wolf

8O

well ya..... but I have one too...........

his name's Rascal, and he sets up a pretty good commotion whenever anyone or anything walks by

My Alarm:

Last edited:

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
It is so sad to here that people have to actually lock their doors when they're at home. I have not locked any doors to a home in my entire life. Not ever, not to the grocery store and not to go away for an entire winter. Never.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
8O

well ya..... but I have one too...........

his name's Rascal, and he sets up a pretty good commotion whenever anyone or anything walks by

My Alarm:

Aha! The K-9. Happy looking variant too.... Beats any ten thousand dollar electronic gizmo. Custom nipper apparatus isn't available on gadgetry....

Wolf

Last edited:

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
My doors are always locked.
If someone wants to steal my stuff, they have to work to get at it. I'm not going to hand it to them. If there was a home invasion while I'm here, then those locks might slow them down enough for me to call 911, grab my dog, hide, or whatever.
Check your home insurance policy. You may not be covered for theft if your doors aren't locked.
I also drive with my car doors locked. My mother had a guy try to get into her car at an intersection once. Scared the sh** out of her as he pulled on the door and pounded on the roof cuz he couldn't get in.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
My husband and I rarely locked doors - if someone wants in they will find a way (that was then - but this is now....)

Living alone as I do - I lock my doors all the time. If people have to break in while I am here at least they''ll have to make a noise getting in... I'm not really great at living solo having never lived alone in my life. I don't worry so much about it - but my family do so I play the way they ask me to.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I lock the doors now, because the thieves that we see around here are mostly teenage crackheads, all they want to do is run in and steal something they can sell for a fix. They do it even if you're in the house; they just hope they can run faster than you. God forbid you leave the garage door open when you're in the basement.

Gone are the days when we'd leave the garage unlocked in case the neighbor needed a tool.