Women and Shopping

Curiosity
Yesterday I took the midmorning and early afternoon to do some things for myself to bring cheer into my life instead of the dirge I have been in over 9/11.

There is a new midde-to-upscale but fun store here and I decided to invade it to see what they had.

WHAT THEY HAD ???? EVERYTHING FUN!

Well not music or electronics, but home decor, wonderful clothing, shoes, crazy winter hats (which I love), and the first thing I grabbed up.... a huge leather purse. And lots of wood carvings imported from Africa - no not mass produced either !! Let's hear it for positive trade relations.

I buy leather because it lasts so long and it has been years since I upgraded my daily handbag. I found one which will carry my whole life in it - and it was only $20 bucks with the "opening" coupon...wheee... My bedroom smelled of new leather this morning..ugh.... but I am in heaven.

I bought some tops at $8.00 each - a racy shower mat which looks like white grass and dries almost immediately....the lady said it tickles one's toes ....$9.00 bucks... it didn't but it did dry quickly... and I was prevented from sliding around like a skateboarder while getting showered on - and a little table lamp which I can turn on without blinding the television screen in the den...it was $14.00 bucks woo hoo....

They have those big shopping carts (I can see why) so I lumbered out with my finds - and when I got home I phoned six people who at 10 am are gonna have a cheer up day for themselves too....

I love store openings...when I have a coupon....a credit card.... new staff and new displays....yay!
Ahem back to work now to pay for the fun!

karrie
I went out and bought two whole new outfits yesterday.

Then took my 7 yr old daughter shoe shopping, bought her new sneakers, and these super cool brown leather boots.

Then off to OldNavy to buy her two new outfits to compliment the super cool brown boots. I found this great, heavy hoodie, and snagged it up.

A woman who almost never shops, and I spent over $300 yesterday between my daughter and I. lol.

Curiosity
O O Karrie - I envy you having a daughter to shop with and for - especially at Old Navy!

I'm not a regular shopper - buy when things are given away which I am doing this weekend at a fund raiser so I have some hangars empty (that spurred me on haha)....

Two people have mentioned my new purse this morning.... do ya think it was time to retire the old one? They must think I've gone mad....

You win in the bucks department little one - but there were two of you !!!

karrie
I went 25 years of my life without owning a purse Curio... now I own 6. I get comments all the time. Nothing spurs on talk at the check out at the grocery store like an interesting purse. lol.

eh1eh
Quote:

Nothing spurs on talk at the check out at the grocery store like an interesting purse. lol.

Ya, like the kind that is so vast inside you can't find anything. That get the conversation going in the check out line.

karrie
on top of my recent purchases Curio, I'm splurging tomorrow morning to go get my hair done, perm and cut. I wanted a new look before hubby came home for the weekend.

I'm psyched. It's always nice to get some of the maintenance done that I've fallen behind on. lol.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Ya, like the kind that is so vast inside you can't find anything. That get the conversation going in the check out line.

you sound grumpy eh. What's the matter? Wait behind a few too many disorganized people in your day?

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

you sound grumpy eh. What's the matter? Wait behind a few too many disorganized people in your day?

Not to mention my own wife.

Toro
My wife never stops shopping.

Fortunately for me, she almost never buys anything.

Curiosity
Karrie

We have these little 'mini parties' which we take for granted but there is nothing like being caught up on the drudgery and getting spruced for a special person like a homecoming hubby...

Toro

Shopping is like hunting - you don't always bag something - it's the thrill of the hunt!

You are a lucky man if she comes home empty handed.... a rarity among women.

karrie
shopping exhausts me and makes me angry.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Yesterday I took the midmorning and early afternoon to do some things for myself to bring cheer into my life instead of the dirge I have been in over 9/11.

My bedroom smelled of new leather this morning..ugh.... but I am in heaven.

Shopping, for me, is a sport of Olympic proportions! I even like to shop for groceries. Gimme a debit or credit card, set me loose in a mall and you have one very happy Cosmo.

There's nothing like a little "retail therapy" to cheer oneself up!! I love coming home and going through all the cool finds, doing the big fashion show for Shell (she hates shopping!) and making her try on all the new stuff I got her. She grumbles the whole time but since I am the shopping queen she humours me.

As for the bedroom smelling like leather ... mmmmmm! That is the scent of pure luxury for me. I love it! Even when I was vegetarian I refused to give up my leather clothes and accessories! My favourite coat is my full length leather.

Smart of you to go out and indulge yourself a little in light of the date. The anniversary of something so horrifying needs to be memorialized with something positive. It's one of those situations where most of us will never forget where we were when we heard. It's a day for me to be grateful for what I have, for the friends I haven't lost and to be mindful that I live in a country where I'm neither driven to desperate acts nor having to bear the consequences of those so driven.

No, I'm not sympathetic with the terrorists, but I think you have to live an anguished existance to do something like that. It's just plain sad all around.

Curiosity
Thanks Cosmo - I took another half hour and returned to pick up two items I denied myself yesterday.

Now I am on a guilt trip - but I'll give up lunch or something hehe....

Shopping gives me a high - I rarely went shopping as a kid because I got hand me downs so there wasn''t much incentive ......

When I hit my teens and found out there were stores with real clothes....I went nuts and I was put on a strict allowance but I still enjoyed spending hours comparing what I wanted most and I think that freedom of a 'high' has given me cheer all my life.... I'm not a mad spender either...I just love the challenge to see how much I can get and still be careful with the money.

Groceries are like an outing for me - I have been shopping at the same store since it opened and know the staff - I sit with them in the coffee shop after I am finished my purchases...

jjaycee98
So what is the name of this Fabulous New Store? Are they a chain? I'm a great browser!

Vereya
Shopping.... mmm.... I face several months of very intensive shopping. I am getting a new flat, so I will have to redecorate and furnish it. I am making the first and most necessary purchase this weekend - a brand new, big and comfortable couch, and I am already thinking of curtains, carpets and all that stuff. I am going to have the time of my life!!!