According to a poster here on CanCon

View Poll Results: Becoming American would be a fate worse than death for most Canadians.
Yes, that's right we're bigots. 4 16.67%
How dare the poster speak on behlaf of MOST Canadians 7 29.17%
No, that's completely untrue. 6 25.00%
Other, Don't know, Don't Care 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

BTW ... didn't a lot of AMERCAN guys die too so I could have that right?

Wolf

Would be true, but I wouldn't go abusing the priviledge of it...

thomaska
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

You've known me long enough to have known that was a hypothetical...albeit possible scenerio...

I fear that if another Trudeau gets into power here...the then US president may believe us in need of a "regime change"...

Oh I know you were being hypothetical...

Maybe its only just the slow news days that get the super squad(that believes we're going to invade) going.

Eveytime I read one of those threads I can't help but think about the South Park movie where Canada andthe US go to war, and the Saddam and Satan show up to harvest the souls or something...

55Mercury
cripes, do ya have to post to be able to read page 2, or is this thread just that hot a topic?

:?\

wow there it is, page 2, in all its limited glory.
Last edited by 55Mercury; Sep 8th, 2007 at 03:41 PM..Reason: frig

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

Oh I know you were being hypothetical...

Maybe its only just the slow news days that get the super squad(that believes we're going to invade) going.

Eveytime I read one of those threads I can't help but think about the South Park movie where Canada andthe US go to war, and the Saddam and Satan show up to harvest the souls or something...

rotflmffao!!!

Great anology...

thomaska
Just now looked at the poll...

"Yes that's right, we're bigots"

Well gosh, I can't imagine why no one wants to vote in the poll....

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Would be true, but I wouldn't go abusing the priviledge of it...

Abuse?... No. Exercise to the fullest extent?

Wolf

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Abuse?... No. Exercise to the fullest extent?

Wolf

There is a fine line between "use" and "abuse", with free speech, comes grave and great responsiblity.

DaSleeper
It should have the option....None of the above.....sometimes election ballots should have that option too...

55Mercury
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage [but if you post to the thread you can read the next page! anyone else have this problem?]

Most likely causes:
  • <LI id=causeNotConnected>You are not connected to the Internet. <LI id=causeSiteProblem>The website is encountering problems.
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
What you can try:

[IMG]res://ieframe.dll/bullet.png[/IMG] Diagnose Connection Problems

[IMG]res://ieframe.dll/down.png[/IMG] :expandCollapse('infoBlockID', true);" target="_blank">More information (external - login to view)

#juan
Quote:

I know it sounds like an insult to you when it is suggested that not everyone in the world wants to be just like you. Sorry. Most Canadians want to be Canadians......even though that option doesn't appear on your nasty little poll.

I do not apologise. ITN started the other thread down this tack. I threw in the bit of hyperbole that "most Canadians would rather die than be forced to be Americans". "Most" means "most", not "all", but "most". I still believe that most Canadians want to be Canadians, as opposed to being American.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I do not apologise. ITN started the other thread down this tack. I threw in the bit of hyperbole that "most Canadians would rather die than be forced to be Americans". "Most" means "most", not "all", but "most". I still believe that most Canadians want to be Canadians, as opposed to being American.

I would agree with you 100%...perhaps it was the method, not the message?

But then again, you do have a history of being overtly critical of the US. To some... even hysterically so.

Dreadful Nonsense
i can't vote on this nonsense...
i have no problem reading the thread....to whom ever asked...lol

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

I have a Chevrolet emblem on my backpack...

It was free with the purchase of a $30,000 SUV...

What a bargain, huh?

Nice one.

I think we might actually need a box of KD on ours one day...

Toro

That is not what you said.

This is what you said

Becoming American would be a fate worse than death for most Canadians.

That is a very different statement. And it is ridiculous.

You said you used "a bit of" hyperbole. Okay, I'll take you at your word. However, these are what I think are fates worse than death.
  • Seeing your children tortured and murdered.
  • Brutal genocide.
  • Your wife raped repeatedly.
I assume that you truly do not mean this. I mean, really, do you think that most Canadians, if they could have stopped the genocide in Rwanda by doing so, would not become Americans?

So therefore, I assume that when you mean "a bit of" hyperbole, you really mean "a lot of" hyperbole.

The original assertion is also suspect, when you consider all the Canadian hockey stars and coaches - Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Mike Keenan to name a few - (and what's not more Canadian than hockey, right?) not to mention all the Canadian entertainers who have opted to become Americans.

I would also bet that most Canadians would gladly give up their Canadian citizenship for $100 million. And since death has greater consequences to one's life than foregoing $100 million, the falsehood of this facile statement becomes even more evident.

Kreskin
So this is where all the ilks hang out.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

So this is where all the ilks hang out.

Wasn't that a Dr. Suess character?

thomaska
Quote: Originally Posted by ToroView Post

Wasn't that a Dr. Suess character?

Not sure if these ilks have one star or two stars on their belly...or no star at all!

Kreskin
I'm trying to organize an Ilk Festival.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I'm trying to organize an Ilk Festival.

Is that like the club, where I need my Grandpa to get membership?

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

No, that's your local "gentleman's club"

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I thought it WAS a service club....

Wolf

triedit

translation: This thread is lame

Zan
Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

translation: This thread is lame

Kreskin - make sure you invite triedit to the Festival.... I like her ilk.

triedit
My ilk is bigger than your ilk.

Zan
ermmm, I've heard it's not the size of the ilk that matters...

I think not
You can all play word games all you like, but I tell you that I know juan from the telus days and his vitriol is genuine. He's an American hater, hence a bigot. Period.

Zan
You've been beating that horse for 2 days across at least 2 forums. I think we're all pretty clear on where you stand on the issue.

55Mercury
anyone else smell sour ilk?

:?D

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

You've been beating that horse for 2 days across at least 2 forums. I think we're all pretty clear on where you stand on the issue.

Good, and it's been 4 forums actually.

Zan
We must be coming from a different set of values, ITN. I wouldn't do that. You obviously would and are proud of it. Now's the place where I usually nod politely and say you're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine.... and have a good day.