Nuisance bears....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I saw an interesting one this morning. There is an old forestry road that runs into the bush beside my place. It's a foot path now - used mostly by bears since the blueberries were so lousy this year. Guy just across and down a bit has this mean little cat - female with a four-month-old kitten. She'll attack anything that moves and is stupid enough to go within a hundred feet of there - dogs, other cats, freight trains maybe. I think I might have dated her.

Anyhow, just as the sun was coming up, I was sitting out at the picnic table having a coffee when I heard the silly cat start growling. Sort of sounds like a jet fighter on start-up so you can't really miss it. I heard the bear touch gravel just at the end of my driveway. Hey - I don't bug it; it won't bug me. There's nothing here for it, garbage is in a sealed bin, barbecue's clean and in the shed and I'm sitting. Bears can't see all that well - and I can make myself look REALLY big if I have to. (It scares the bear and gives this worried butt the chance to break through yon door) So, I watched the bear. They are kind of funny....

That cat's growl broke to a scream - like someone stepped on its tail. It made like a fuzzy throwing knife - spit like a lawn sprinkler - and went right for the bear. The bear stood up to get a better look just as the cat climbed it. Poor ol' bar moaned, then yelped, then beat the cat in a race for the bush. Man can bears ever run!

Wolf

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've noticed a lot of big animals really don't like a fight with anything too much smaller (thus more agile) than them. If it comes flying at them, loud and with claws out, they'll often hightail it.

Good guard kitty.