Question for Twila/others can jump right in

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
How are we...
Have you always been an animal lover....may i ask?....
You also seem to have a deep understanding about animals , is this self taught or did you go to school or have you ever been a breeder.

I don't say this lightly for your posts have given you a wieght for me when it comes to animals.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Yes, I've always loved animals. Had cats and dogs from the day I came home from the hospital. Lived in the country and played on numerous farms....played with goats, cows, horses, sheep. Had 2 of my own goats and I was a staple girl for a farm that had cattle horse.

I'm going to toot my own horn here and say animals like me to. I've had so many experiences that are almost unreal when it comes to animals. Animals that I'm told dislike people come up to me. Animals that I"m told I won't see in the zoo because they're reclusive, walk past the fence for me. Actually had a cheetah come up to the fence, take a good gander at us and then show us her stalking technique which blew the tour guide away!

My dad is the same way. Cats are drawn to him. He had a horse when he was a kid that was mean to everybody but him, which is how he came to own it!

I think because I love animals so much they know I won't harm them in any way. That I don't expect them to let me cuddle and hold them or even pet them unless they let me. I'm polite. I always ask first. I've never been bitten viciously by an animal, never had an animal break the skin.

P.S I study body language in humans and animals. It's something I'm really good at for some reason. I also have an excellent memory. I think this helps me communicate to animals and for me to understand them. I will say I'm terrified of Great White Sharks and Crocodiles. But those are the only creature on this planet that scare me.

Thanks for asking.

Do you like animals? Got a favourite species?

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I love animals too...And yes on occaision I've been told that this cat or that cat likes me and it's odd for he/she never approaches people.
My uncle was a breeder in the Ottawa valley...I loved when they sent me up there to be with him....i would fall asleep with the beagles and pups in their little houses....
when i was 17..this one prize dog Penny, was pregnant...please don't lol at this..i never share this and when i do always people make fun.....

she was getting on and this was her last litter...i knew her since she was a puppy...anyway...after supper i went into where she was going to have her pups....I looked in on her and this thing happened...wierdest thing i ever expierenced...we shared emotion..i sensed she was sort of scared ...she did not get up to come to me ..she was a few feet away and then this wave of orgasmic emotional feeling swept over me...it terrified me...it was nonsexual...but definatly the same orgasmic feeling without the sexual activity....

30 years later in a Tibetan initiation with the Mother Goddess the same thing happened...

Penny had her pups that night.....

ok braces for the inevitable..i ask you please not to.....

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's not everybody who gets to have that kind of connection with an animal, Doc. Its incredibly special.

We had a cat that wondered off the street and into our house quite pregnant. I made a place in the closet for her to have her kittens. The day she gave birth she would not let me leave the front of the closet. I tried to go and sit on the bed to watch tv while I waited for the kittens to be born and she came screaming up onto the bed, grabbed me by my nose with her teeth and pulled! So I sat in the closet with her while she gave birth. We'd only known each other a couple of days!

I would never belittle, laugh at or degrade a persons connection with an animal. I understand that connection. I know the absoloute joy, bliss, whatever you want to call it that is felt.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
It's not everybody who gets to have that kind of connection with an animal, Doc. Its incredibly special.

We had a cat that wondered off the street and into our house quite pregnant. I made a place in the closet for her to have her kittens. The day she gave birth she would not let me leave the front of the closet. I tried to go and sit on the bed to watch tv while I waited for the kittens to be born and she came screaming up onto the bed, grabbed me by my nose with her teeth and pulled! So I sat in the closet with her while she gave birth. We'd only known each other a couple of days!

I would never belittle, laugh at or degrade a persons connection with an animal. I understand that connection. I know the absoloute joy, bliss, whatever you want to call it that is felt.
k my lack of articulation could be misjudged here....
I know the absoloute joy, bliss, whatever you want to call it that is felt
exactly it......

I told a very hig up Rinpoche about my feelings during the initiation..he said they were not sexual but a pure feeling.....

Maybe we confuse certain expierences ....

The cat having her kittens and wanting you there...man thats so beautiful....you really must be a special person Twila....
you know..you really are just nice here...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Maybe we confuse certain expierences .

and emotions. Intense emotion can be scarey for some people. Intense emotion such as absolute bliss and that kind of connection is found in many experiences.

Thanks for the compliments...I'm much better with animals then I am with humans. I'll forgive an animal quicker then a human. I find that sometimes with the higher intelligence that humans are suppose to have that when they neglect to use them to the detriment of an innocent, I have no sympathy, or forgiveness for it.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
I'm much better with animals then I am with humans. I'll forgive an animal quicker then a human. I find that sometimes with the higher intelligence that humans are suppose to have that when they neglect to use them to the detriment of an innocent, I have no sympathy, or forgiveness for it.
I've been accused of being cold hearted, Twila, because I am like that too. Humans can annoy the sh*t out of me, but I never hold a grudge against an animal. I may not like the personality of every non-human creature I meet, but it's more indifference than anything.

Animals are not burdened by revenge, guilt, malice with forethought ... any of the things us humans are prone to. Once you understand their social system, animals are both predictable and wonderfully uncomplicated. They like you or they don't. You're either alpha or you're dinner.

I do love the simplicity. The affection I get from my Jack Russell is as pure and as uncomplicated as it gets. She loves me. If I piss her off or allow her alpha status, she bites me, then forgets it 10 seconds later. None of that raking up old grievances stuff. Everything is immediate. No deep, convoluted motivation.

I figure that a person an animal likes is usually a person I will like as well. I've found it implies an emotional honesty not always present in humans.

Doc ... I get that moment of perfect understanding you had with Penny. I've had that with animals before and there's something profound about it.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Good topic Cosmo - I too have noticed Twila's involvement with the world of animals - as if she is in their heads and instinctively understands them - no doubt the animals sense this too judging from their behavior with her. It's beautiful that a few humans still identify with the animal world - they have given civilization so much.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Every horiziontal surface is kitty domain. Even keyboards. Our work cat risks death daily by hopping on keyboards.:x

BTW Twila. You are the uber animal girl fo' sho', but I think you're pretty good with the humans too.:smile: IMO.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I love sharks, they're fascinating fish. One day I will swim with them, for great whites I think I'll stick to the cage, leave the open water for professionals.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If you take a cat it will distract the sharks as the cat attempts to swim away.:smile:

First you need to know which kind of shark he's swimming with...if it's great whites the cat would be safe but not you...

I've been terrified of great whites ever since reading a National Geographic on them and found out they actually swim as North as the west coast of Vancouver Island. I've never seen the movie Jaws..I don't think I could handle it.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Jaws is bad. Hey how did they know that first girl that was eaten by the shark had dandruff?

They found her head and shoulders on the beach. lol... Now if you've seen the movie that is really funny cuz they actualy find her 'head and shoulders on the beach'. Yuk. LOL :smile: