20 Things you Didnít Know About... Hygiene


Twila
#1
discovermagazine.com/2007/sep...-about-hygiene (external - login to view)

Quote:


Cleanliness is serious business; dirty hands killed a U.S. president.
by Liza Lentini and David Mouzon
1 ďHygieneĒ comes from Hygieia, the Greek goddess of health, cleanliness, and . . . the moon. Ancient Greek gods apparently worked double shifts.
2 The human body is home to some 1,000 species of bacteria. There are more germs on your body than people in the United States.
3 Not tonight dear, I just washed my hands: Antibacterial soap is no more effective at preventing infection than regular soap, and triclosan (the active ingredient) can mess with your sex hormones.
4 Save the germs! A study of over 11,000 children determined that an overly hygienic environment increases the risk of eczema and asthma.

Quote has been trimmed
 
lone wolf
#2
Actually, that #8 has some truth to it. Piddling in the shower can cure your athletes' feet. Icky, but ... well, icky....

Wolf
 
karrie
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Actually, that #8 has some truth to it. Piddling in the shower can cure your athletes' feet. Icky, but ... well, icky....

Wolf

teatree oil is much nicer to use than one's own urine.. I'm assuming you were talking about peeing your own feet, not someone else's, right?
 
eh1eh
#4
What could be cleaner than peeing in a giant overhead bidet. Get over the icky factor. You can drink urine in an emergency so it can't be that bad.
 
karrie
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

What could be cleaner than peeing in a giant overhead bidet. Get over the icky factor. You can drink urine in an emergency so it can't be that bad.

Is that like an "all guys do it, but no one admits it" sort of thing? The shower I mean, not the drinking. LOL.
 
lone wolf
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

teatree oil is much nicer to use than one's own urine.. I'm assuming you were talking about peeing your own feet, not someone else's, right?

Teatree oil costs money. Piddle's free - and always available. Just a li'l bit of intel courtesy of Her Majesty's Infantry - where foot problems can be Courts Marshal offences....

Wolf
 
Twila
#7
hmm, maybe it would work for men to piddle on their own foot...easier to aim. For women aiming can be an issue... and especially difficult if it's on the outside of the foot...
 
lone wolf
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

hmm, maybe it would work for men to piddle on their own foot...easier to aim. For women aiming can be an issue... and especially difficult if it's on the outside of the foot...

Use the plug....

Wolf
 
Zan
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

hmm, maybe it would work for men to piddle on their own foot...easier to aim. For women aiming can be an issue... and especially difficult if it's on the outside of the foot...

lol Twila - I was just trying to picture the logistics of such a feat (errr....feet??) when I read Wolf's post. Guess someone's using their noodle.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Use the plug....

Wolf

 
eh1eh
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Is that like an "all guys do it, but no one admits it" sort of thing? The shower I mean, not the drinking. LOL.

Right, I would never admit to drinking pee.
 
DurkaDurka
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Right, I would never admit to drinking pee.

Fan of the water sports are you, eh? Don't tell me you like brown showers now do ya?
 
eh1eh
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Fan of the water sports are you, eh? Don't tell me you like brown showers now do ya?

Learn what brown can do for you.
 
DurkaDurka
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Learn what brown can do for you.

LMAO... does UPS deliver?
 
Nuggler
#14
Anyone seen the historical pictures? Not so sure where I saw them now.

American Civil War. Surgeons cutting off limbs, going on to the next, blood and guts all over the place and nary a wash basin in sight.

Ah yes, the good ol days.

 
Vereya
#15
I wonder, how did the medical team get their hands stained in manure, in the first place?
 

Similar Threads

1
personal hygiene could be making us ill
by Karlin | Oct 27th, 2005
1
Ideas That Just Didnít Fly
by GL Schmitt | Oct 24th, 2005
44
The best things about you
by choppie | Aug 9th, 2005
no new posts