Too snotty?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Dear Mademoiselle [...],

[...] returned her 2" binder, bought as per the specific Grade 2 supply list, and told me she needs a "smaller" one. She is unsure what size, and seems confused as to the fact that she had two binders when she left for school today, a 1" and a 2".

If the teal 1" binder has gone missing, please, let me know.

As for replacing the 2" with a smaller binder, I hope you will be more specific, and provide ample reason, considering the 2" is now unreturnable due to the school's specific request that everything be labeled before the start of school.

Sincerely,
Karrie.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's perfect. To the point. Explains what you want clearly. If somebody reads rude or snotty into it's because they're feeling it.

Schools can be sooooooo frustrating.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Dear Mademoiselle [...],

[...] returned her 2" binder, bought as per the specific Grade 2 supply list, and told me she needs a "smaller" one. She is unsure what size, and seems confused as to the fact that she had two binders when she left for school today, a 1" and a 2".

If the teal 1" binder has gone missing, please, let me know.

As for replacing the 2" with a smaller binder, I hope you will be more specific, and provide ample reason, considering the 2" is now unreturnable due to the school's specific request that everything be labeled before the start of school.

Sincerely,
Karrie.

A hell of alot nicer than I would have been....or have been.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I have found many in the profession of teaching our children to be incompetent fools who would never make it in the real world. So, no, not too snotty at all.

As a note to be fair,there have been a few teachers worth their salt.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
alright, I think I'll toss it back into her pack then, and send it with her tomorrow. lol. I just don't want to piss a teacher off and have them take it out on my kid all year.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I have found many in the profession of teaching our children to be incompetent fools who would never make it in the real world. So, no, not too snotty at all.

As a note to be fair,there have been a few teachers worth there salt.

One could conjecture that those that are worth THEIR salt are those that didn't teach you.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
alright, I think I'll toss it back into her pack then, and send it with her tomorrow. lol. I just don't want to piss a teacher off and have them take it out on my kid all year.

Karrie,
I wouldn't worry bout that - it's the kids who have parents that pay no mind that fall between the cracks... seems to me teachers need a l'il push to show 'em that someone - a vigilant parent in fact - is watching how their child is treated and educated.
Anyway, I'd like to see the teacher that thinks she can take anything out on any child of yours. You have strong momma-bear instincts too ... I know, I know, it takes one to know one :p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie,
I wouldn't worry bout that - it's the kids who have parents that pay no mind that fall between the cracks... seems to me teachers need a l'il push to show 'em that someone - a vigilant parent in fact - is watching how their child is treated and educated.
Anyway, I'd like to see the teacher that thinks she can take anything out on any child of yours. You have strong momma-bear instincts too ... I know, I know, it takes one to know one :p

Yeah, I do have the momma bear instinct. I've taken more than one issue to the principal regarding my kids, and if I think my kid needs something, I don't hesitate to push for it. I've had more than one person at their schools comment on it. With my son, the most notable was my push to get him seen by a counselor and have him assessed, so that i didn't have to do the 'something's wrong with your kid' dance all year long with his teacher. She hinted ONCE about behavioral disorder, and I had him STRAIGHT into the school counselor, and got the teacher straightened out. lol. It gave me and the teacher peace of mind to know that nothing was wrong, and it brought a third party in to make sure the teacher and I were on the same page about how the issues (social issues like I've never seen at any other school) would best be handled.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

As a note to be fair,there have been a few teachers worth their salt.

I second that!

Teachers are idiots. They have the arrogance to think that because they teach, they can teach anything regardless of prior training in any specific subject area ... and that's just for starters. After that, I think it's fair to say that children could actually learn quite a bit about bullying from teachers. Ever seen a 50 year old bag telling secrets in the corner? Only if she's a teacher. Ever had a door slammed in your face? Only by a teacher. Ever had someone try to steal your scholarship money? Only a teacher. The list goes on and on for what I have to say about teachers - but I shouldn't rant. I haven't posted for a few months so a rant like this would make me seem nuts - but I not nuts, teachers are.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

Valid concern. The letter sounds perfect ...

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Your letter is good, Karrie, but your worry is a valid one.

Most teachers are good, interested in our kids. Some shouldn't be interacting even at a Tim Horton's level with people.

Let's hope yours is the former.

N'Ugg.

Philo Cojones

Aug 28, 2007
Kind of concerned about the lack of respect for teachers around here. most are worthless? they're all idiots? Generalizing is a dangerous game kids. I'm probably closer to a school headin age then most of you (just guessing here)...never had a problem with most of my teachers. only ever one....and we, as students, complained, and fixed the problem. Logic like your peoples is akin to "all cops are dirty" and "all lawyers are crooked". This kind of thinking isn't going to help anything. just because you've had a few bad experiences doesn't make it so everywhere and anywhere.

and no, I'm not a cop, teacher, or lawyer. ;)

in any case, Karrie: why the christ does it matter to this school what size binder your kid has? I'd tell them where to stick it. I commend your letter....I would have been far more scathing and difficult.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Kind of concerned about the lack of respect for teachers around here. most are worthless? they're all idiots? Generalizing is a dangerous game kids. I'm probably closer to a school headin age then most of you (just guessing here)...never had a problem with most of my teachers. only ever one....and we, as students, complained, and fixed the problem. Logic like your peoples is akin to "all cops are dirty" and "all lawyers are crooked". This kind of thinking isn't going to help anything. just because you've had a few bad experiences doesn't make it so everywhere and anywhere.

and no, I'm not a cop, teacher, or lawyer. ;)

in any case, Karrie: why the christ does it matter to this school what size binder your kid has? I'd tell them where to stick it. I commend your letter....I would have been far more scathing and difficult.

I think kids are far less critical of the quality of their teacher than their parents are philo. We are, admittedly, THE toughest customers around. I wouldn't say all teachers are idiots, but the idiots sure stand out in the crowd, and it all gets judged accordingly. Especially when you're dealing with teachers at an elementary level, who haven't the slightest clue how to deal with elementary aged children.

As for the binder, appaerntly there is a specific purpose for this binder, which is, get this, to carry around their coiled notebook. Ha! So, because the 2" is so big, the coiled note book won't open and lie flat in it. Thus, they need a smaller one. Personally, I have no clue why they could carry the coil notebook around loose in their pack in grade one, and now need it in a binder (do they get more destructive as they age? not in my experience!), but I hope to find out when my daughter returns today.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Karrie

I won't comment on the actual topic because I think the responders have give you excellent confirmation of your decision regarding your daughter's school supplies.....

I have a question which refuses to go away so I'm gonna ask it:

Do we now address female teachers: "Madamoiselle" these days? Or is that her advertised preference? Or a mandate from Quebec? Or ???

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie

I won't comment on the actual topic because I think the responders have give you excellent confirmation of your decision regarding your daughter's school supplies.....

I have a question which refuses to go away so I'm gonna ask it:

Do we now address female teachers: "Madamoiselle" these days? Or is that her advertised preference? Or a mandate from Quebec? Or ???

My children are in French immersion, so yes, they address their teachers as Mademoiselle or Madame accordingly.

Philo Cojones

Aug 28, 2007
Philo. You must not have children in the school system.

no kids. just opinions. ;-)

What i do know, and what is at issue here, is that judging the many by the inept few is detrimental to change. how is anything going to be fixed if the good teachers are not recognized? and they're all painted with the same brush?

I know i'd sure as hell be insulted if someone said "All conference Marketers are morons." Wrong. A few conference Marketers you've come in contact with (and heard stories from your friends, etc...) were bad and as such, you've labeled the entire group. pretty lame.

it's like those people who get a bad waiter/waitress at one restaurant and tell everyone they know that the "service is terrible there" and they're "never eating there again." also lame.

too much hate and nitpicking in this world kids..... let's try and tone it down a little.