Are Canadian stupid ?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Are Canadians Stupid?
Not getting it…

By Tom Nichols

I don’t know quite how to ask this question, but I suspect that a lot of Americans are about to, so I’ll put it as directly as I can: Are Canadians stupid?
A recent poll found that a majority of Canadians, including a whopping three-quarters of Quebecers, believe that U.S. foreign policy was the root cause of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. This shouldn’t be so shocking; their previous prime minister, Jean Chretien, said practically the same thing a few years back (which I wrote about in NRO here.) In other words, they believe that the Americans brought 9/11 on themselves.

What makes this such a jaw-dropping finding, and prompts my question about the intelligence of the average Canadian in general (and of Quebecers in particular), is that it comes only a few months after Canadian authorities broke up a conspiracy among Islamic extremists in Canada in which a dozen men and five minors were arrested. They were apparently planning to blow up the Toronto Stock Exchange and the Canadian parliament, storm the national public-broadcasting building…oh, and they were going to behead the Canadian prime minister, too .

How can anyone in Canada, knowing this — and I assume it was news published there both in English and French — still believe that foreign policies, American or any other, have much to do with terrorism? How many such plots need to be broken up before the Canadians, or at least some Canadians, get the point? Do these same Canadians who think U.S. foreign policy is generating terrorism also think that Canada’s foreign policy would be to blame if their prime minister were decapitated on live television? Canada, after all, has over the past several years gone to no small lengths (especially under Chretien) to distance itself from the United States, and publicly opposed the war in Iraq. (As did Germany, by the way…but that didn’t stop Islamic terrorists from plotting to blow up two trains in Germany this summer, either.)

So let me for a moment address our Canadian friends (and I swear, I still do still think of them as friends), and try to state the obvious one more time. Unfortunately, I don’t speak French, but I’m sure some helpful Canadian colleague will translate this for me: It’s not about foreign policy, it’s about who we are. As long as we are a secular, tolerant, open, and free society — and by “we” I mean all of us in the West, including Canada — the terrorists will continue to strike, because everything we are, our very way of life, is repellent to them, and they are going to do everything they can to destroy it completely.

Is that clear enough, or will it finally sink in only when pieces of the Canadian parliament are falling out of the sky in burning flinders?

On the other hand, let’s not be too hard on our friends to the north. We have plenty of people down here in the Lower 48 who believe the same silliness about how this or that policy — and, of course, support for the Israelis — caused 9/11. (A small number of Americans are even so reality-deprived that they think the Bush administration pulled off 9/11, despite tapes shown this week on al-Jazeera of some of the hijackers meeting with Osama bin Laden and training for the attack.) And let’s face it: If we’re going to get into a “who can say stupider things than whom” contest with the Canadians, we have to acknowledge that Michael Moore is an American, which would give us an unfair head start right away.

The real problem here is that the Canadian poll results are just another example of a kind of denial that has set in among certain people, both inside and outside of the United States, over the past five years. These people desperately want to find some reason, some issue that can be solved, as the mainspring behind Islamic terrorism. Otherwise, they would have to confront the terrible reality that there is nothing we can give the terrorists that will stop the killing. We can change our policies, but we can’t change our culture or beliefs—or at least change them enough to suit the Islamic fascists who would turn the world into one big Taliban-run Afghanistan if they could. And so rather than face the fact that we’re at war with a relentless enemy with whom no negotiated peace is possible, such people retreat into fantasies about how the whole thing could be settled somehow if we could only figure out how to stop doing whatever it is they don’t like.

Blaming America, and American policies, might bring many Canadians a sense of comfort (and to some, no doubt, that smug feeling of superiority that too many Canadians seem to exhibit regarding Americans), but it is a foolish and only temporary escape from reality. The terrorists are going to continue to try to kill Americans, Canadians, Frenchmen, Germans, Russians, Australians, and anyone else they can get their hands on who won’t bow to their impossible demands.

Instead of ignorantly pointing fingers at U.S. foreign policy, the Canadians — citizens of our sister nation — should join the Americans in an attempt to lead the Western community in defending our common values of tolerance and liberalism, extolling them in one voice in the face of our would-be oppressors, and cooperating with each other to find, capture — and if need be, kill — the kind of people who would blow innocent men, women, and children to pieces for the sake of their own demented ideology. Any other course of action would be…well, stupid.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
OH JEEZ
APPARENTLY, OSAMA LOVED AMERICA during AFGHANISTAN vs. SOVIET UNION BECAUSE AMERICA WAS FUNDING mahjahudin (wrong spelling. Oops! A stupidity!)
BUT LATER, OSAMA HATES AMERICA FOR INTERFERING AND LURKING IN SAUDI ARABIA. YES, THEREFORE, OSAMA GAVE FREAKING LARGE WARNINGS ALL OVER AFRICA (U.S. embassy bombing) TO GET THE **** OUT OF SAUDI ARABIA.
BUT NO, THEY HAD TO STAY FOR OIL.
AS A RESULT, THEY GOT WHAT WAS COMING AT THEIR FACE: 9/11
YEAH
WOO HOO!

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
I wonder what childish comment you would have made had the Toronto bombings been successful.

BTW, you need to work on "kinder, gentler" nation thing a bit. :roll:

Thanks for the advise :d
Well, as matter of fact, Toronto bombing has not yet happened so :p for that
If there was bombing, Canadians would think otherwise about Afghanistan. I would

Oh p.s.
I was being sarcastic. It should be easy to figure lol
Or are my facts so true for you? :cool:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Thanks for the advise :d
Well, as matter of fact, Toronto bombing has not yet happened so :p for that
If there was bombing, Canadians would think otherwise about Afghanistan. I would

Oh p.s.
I was being sarcastic. It should be easy to figure lol
Or are my facts so true for you? :cool:

So what you're saying is, you have to wait until there are dead Canadians before you change your mind? The fact a plot was foiled isn't good enough for you?

You're one stupid Canadian.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Yes I am
In fact, my mama is funding this war and I don't weee
So what you're saying is, you have to wait until there are dead Canadians before you change your mind? The fact a plot was foiled isn't good enough for you?
Gee, I didn't say that..
Well, if you put it that way, it took 9/11 for Americans to go war with Afghanistan AND Iraq.
So..I guess we are all stupid!

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007

After bombing of the train, resulting destruction and death, the Spaniards were asking serious question and demanded troops to return. After so much right-wing governments BS (BS includes lies, deception, and delay of the truth), they were voted out and replaced with more left wing party.

Can this happen in Canada?
Possibly.

What I meant to say was that opinions change and questions are raised.
Is it worth it because they would bomb us some more if we stay in Afghanistan.

And 9/11 thingy
Where are the terrorists anyway?
Shouldn't they be bombing America or Canada?
Ah geez...so ineffective organization, can't do any damage in long term..

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
After bombing of the train, resulting destruction and death, the Spaniards were asking serious question and demanded troops to return. After so much right-wing governments BS (BS includes lies, deception, and delay of the truth), they were voted out and replaced with more left wing party.
A sad day to be sure...

Can this happen in Canada?
Possibly.
I hope not...

What I meant to say was that opinions change and questions are raised.
Is it worth it because they would bomb us some more if we stay in Afghanistan.
Is it better to fold up shop and hitail it home, only to prove that violence on the homefront will buckle our resolve everytime and thus showing wouldbe tyrants that they can commit atrocities at will, without the threat of being deposed...all because, all they have to do is blow up a few people in the Nations that appose his rule and are fighting to dismantle his regime?
And 9/11 thingy
Where are the terrorists anyway?
Shouldn't they be bombing America or Canada?
Ah geez...so ineffective organization, can't do any damage in long term..
Detention centers, hightend security, better intel, a stronger foriegn secret service...all play a part in the lack of hostility on our shores.

Though much of that is distasteful, it is a necessary evil and is doing our lands much good.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Are Canadians Stupid?
Not getting it…

By Tom Nichols

I don’t know quite how to ask this question, but I suspect that a lot of Americans are about to, so I’ll put it as directly as I can: Are Canadians stupid?
A recent poll found that a majority of Canadians, including a whopping three-quarters of Quebecers, believe that U.S. foreign policy was the root cause of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. This shouldn’t be so shocking; their previous prime minister, Jean Chretien, said practically the same thing a few years back (which I wrote about in NRO here.) In other words, they believe that the Americans brought 9/11 on themselves.

OK...In a word...yes.

I do believe that American foreign policy is to blame for much of their woes. But!!! You can not blame the raped woman for wearing fishnet stockings late at night.

The issue is that the US has meddled in areas of the world for no more reason then Communist paranoia and corporate interest.

Of this I am factually positive, but that does not negate the evil and the immense ignorance behind the attacks of 9/11...

We here in Canada, have become complacent to global issues. We have forgotten what it's like to be part of the bigger picture. Some would say we are asking for our own 9/11 by participating in an unjust war in Afghanistan. To that statement, there is some truth. We could be asking for some of our own troubles by being in Afghanistan. But the sacrifice is well worth the ends.

I know many believe that the war on terror is pure fantasy, but it isn't. Daily there are small acts of terror perpetrated on innocent people the world over. If we buckle to those that would use terror, we give them what they want.

It's a learned behavior...

Like dealing with an unrulely child, you do not reward misbehavior, you stifle it. In some cases positive reinforcement works. Take for example monetary concessions and such. But these only work when both parties are place a mutual intellegence at the table. It is extremely difficult to do so with a group that uses murder as a bargaining chip and has sought to remove items in antiquaty from existance to further a religiously founded governance.

With these people...there is no middle ground.

Add to that years of western manipulation and you're bound to get blowback...

But what some fail to realise is, two wrongs do not make a right...

We need to stick to our guns, whether you believe in the means justifying the ends or not. Packing up and taking our ball home now only serves to further the violence.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hmm.... Terrorism.... Seems to me we had it in Canada before it became an American fashion statement - and even today we bend all over ourselves to appease the troublemakers. FLQ might be a distant memory, but separatiste still write policy.

Wolf

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hmm.... Terrorism.... Seems to me we had it in Canada before it became an American fashion statement - and even today we bend all over ourselves to appease the troublemakers. FLQ might be a distant memory, but separatiste still write policy.

Wolf
Very good observation...

With our history in terrorism, why do you think we have become complacent to it oh so easily?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The more we give, the more they'll want. Sending in the troops was the one place Trudeau actually used his head. They don't want to separate. That would involve actual survival. It's a great threat to use on a sentimentalist people.

Wolf

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The more we give, the more they'll want. Sending in the troops was the one place Trudeau actually used his head. They don't want to separate. That would involve actual survival. It's a great threat to use on a sentimentalist people.

Wolf
I was actualy referring to global terrorism or that of the Islam-o-fascist types. As in the article. How would you answer my query with that in mind?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Canada is a bit too confident in its "we're-not-the-US-Everyone-likes-us" image.

Wolf
Yes...I would whole heartedly agree, but why? When did we change from a Nation of touthgritting go getters to the new version of backseat observationists?

I like to be liked, I'm sure you like to be liked, we all like to be liked...But are we willing to sell ourselves out to get that affirmation?

There was a time when as a Nation we saw unjust actions and stood tall in the face of them and did what had to be done, no matter how bad it tasted...Hell...Lester B. was thinking along those lines when he created the Peacekeepers. (IMHO, his vision was not of rubber bullet rationed handringers, but hard nosed visionaries that stood in the face of tyrants and snarled) Hell I'll even go further left and say Trudeau was doing the same thing as he envoked the War Measures Act.

We've changed...