nation states

Tonington
Mine has crept up too. It's up to 48% right now...

hermanntrude
it's a tough life being a leader. I'm looking forward to when my population hits 500, 000, 000. Then I get to choose my own prefix.

I'm thinking something along the lines of "bumhole"

Tonington
cornholio

Phil B
My population seems to be quite static - but I'll keep my current tax rate of 29%

hermanntrude
good luck with that, Phil. You'll find it difficult keeping them down. I've noticed most of the larger population nations in nation states have a tax rate of 100%

Tonington
Unless you're willing to let freedoms slide. I've seen quite a few 1Billion + nations with low taxes, but crappy rights/freedoms. I don't think those things are supposed to be diametrically opposed, but that seems to be the game is made.

Phil B
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Unless you're willing to let freedoms slide.

I would be tempted to put a presidential lane in on the motorways......

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by Phil BView Post

I would be tempted to put a presidential lane in on the motorways......

I think that'd count as corruption

Niflmir
Hahaha, they wanted me to cut the tax rates. Instead I just let them decide where the government spends the money. I am quite pleased with the change. Next I am going to allow public nudity, requiring it seemed a little too extreme. Hmmm...

hermanntrude
I allowed public nudity. But i went for the tax cuts since the rate was already too high. I also allowed breastfeeding in public places, as i was rather shocked to discover it wasn't allowed. apparently now breastfeeding around street corners and bus shelters is now taking over from smoking and hanging out

Niflmir
Maybe I should have enforced nudity, put ******* out of business?

hermanntrude
you can't have enforced anything in an anarchy, can you?

Niflmir
Yeah, that's what I was originally thinking, but due to the irony of a government in an anarchy... I think I will stick with the allowed but not enforced.

hermanntrude
I think there ought to be a button to submit an extra response to an issue where the ideal one isn't available.

Tonington
Ditto on that. Some of the choices are just too extreme, and you know how this game will twist it. Seems to operate on slippery slope principles

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by Phil BView Post

My population seems to be quite static - but I'll keep my current tax rate of 29%

29%, mine started at 48 and is edging up daily along with population. They must be multiplying like rabbits and gestation must only last a few hours. I am going to impose separate sleeping quarters and chastity belts.

hermanntrude
I had to post this... this is the current description of my nation:

Quote:

People are now classified as male, female, or genderqueer, the insurance industry is outlawed, skateparks can be found in every city, and Members of Parliament are often found living in cardboard boxes. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Osmelia's national animal is the bumtruffle, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the dog turd.

I think it's hilarious.

any new players interested? join up, go on, you know you want to....

Sal
I received this telegram: Compliance Ministry
Quote:

Received: 1 day agoLaws have been enacted to bring the Republic of Salpride into compliance with the United Nations resolution "Repeal "Max Barry Day"".

What the heck am I supposed to do with this thing. It is notice number two. I ignored the first one. Guess they aren't going way.

hermanntrude
it's just notification. Because you are a member of the UN, your nation has to abide by the decisions made by the UN.

Recently a proposal was made that suggested there ought to be a "max barry day" celebrated in all nations, in recognition of max barry, the creator of nation states, which was voted in. Then someone proposed we repeal it, and THAT was voted in too, so now we dont have one. Bloody idiots would vote for anything. I voted against repealing and for the original proposal.

Sal
Okay, phew. But wouldn't that be a stat day?

My income tax rate seems to keep climbing along with the population. Immigration officers, and pediatricians and OB/GYNs must be rich in my nation. My people must be genetically linked to the rabbit.

hermanntrude
it's hard to keep the tax rate down. Mine is hovering around the 50% mark and I'm deliberately avoiding some issues because all the actions possible would require a tax rise.

Sal
Yes I too have avoided some and even cut down some of the rainforest because I knew if I didn't tax rates would be over the top.

It's hard to be king huh?

hermanntrude
very hard.

Sal
You do realize we may have to begin, robbing, killing, mutilating and maiming just for fun?

hermanntrude
i made it compulsory to carry a gun. strangely the effects weren't that bad at all. Crime is still unknown in osmelia

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

i made it compulsory to carry a gun. strangely the effects weren't that bad at all. Crime is still unknown in osmelia

Hm yeah. I have been attempting to be all benevolent and create the ideal nation. I may become slightly more fascist.

hermanntrude
OK I need more members to join. It's boring with only 5 members playing. Let's get more nations from CC.

It's easy to play, and mildly amusing at times

Hazmart
I would like to introduce the Free Land of Trishna!
This is kinda fun, I am a little nervous as I wouldn't call politics my thing, I am already worried about our crime rate! yikes! The pressure!

www.nationstates.net/trishna (external - login to view)

hermanntrude
hehe nice one.

Join up with our region. It's called "intact cannonade". Password is "cancon". Also apply for UN membership

Hazmart
Done and done!