AVRO Arrow. One of the saddest Canadian Aviation tales

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The AVRO Arrow would still perform with the best if we had one. At the time, there was nothing to touch it. When the Arrow was scrapped I made a promise to pee on either Diefenbaker or his grave....alas I haven't yet done either. If you compare the performance with any of the aircraft listed, it doesn't do half bad as is was in the fifties. With normal modifications to bring it up to date with current times, it would do even better.

http://tinyurl.com/2bywau

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Under normal circumstances I would be saying "ROAD TRIP!" alas, the destination is Saskatoon and I wouldn't even travel there to pee on Harper's head.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Under normal circumstances I would be saying "ROAD TRIP!" alas, the destination is Saskatoon and I wouldn't even travel there to pee on Harper's head.

Not even if I pay for the gas???

I think security would have us even as we unzipped.:lol::lol:

Ottywaw's closer, but he's covered in ArseyMP there.

Aw well...........................outhouse will have to do.

Jeez, now ya got me THINKIN about it. Not good.

:canada:(in spite of Steve)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My hubby's going through there on Monday... I'll see if I can get him to do it for #juan. LOL. I think he'd gladly help.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The day of the manned interceptor was over so we sold out and went to American-made Bomarcs - then had to replace our AVRO CF-100's with American-made Voo Doos. Methinks the Yanks didn't want to be outshone - and we've been polishing their boots ever since. Figures.... Dief was a Tory!

Wolf

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Not even if I pay for the gas???

I think security would have us even as we unzipped.:lol::lol:

Ottywaw's closer, but he's covered in ArseyMP there.

Aw well...........................outhouse will have to do.

Jeez, now ya got me THINKIN about it. Not good.

:canada:(in spite of Steve)

Yeah University security. Like those bitches wouldn't end up in the trunk waiting for their turn at getting pissed on.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, the day of the manned interceptor was over, but only until they managed to unload a batch of Bowmarcs on that hick from Prince Albert. that heretofore, were unable to hit anything but the launching pad After that, the Americans built nothing but manned bombers and interceptors by the thousands. A lot of those bombers and interceptors were being rolled out when Dief the dope bought the bloody Bowmarc.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Yeah ... today's Canadore College flight school - a place I've been to many times - sits on the site of 28 empty Bomarc bunkers.

From John A and his attempt to sell off a nearly-complete CPR to the USA, through Dief's destruction of the Canadian aerospace industry and Mulroney's trade-away of a lot of the rest, to Harper doing to us whatever Uncle Sam wants, name me one Tory who actually looked out for Canadian interests.

Wolf

Reactions: snowles

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The day of the manned interceptor was over so we sold out and went to American-made Bomarcs - then had to replace our AVRO CF-100's with American-made Voo Doos. Methinks the Yanks didn't want to be outshone - and we've been polishing their boots ever since. Figures.... Dief was a Tory!

Wolf

You are SO GREEEEN!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
...and how am I so green? The Canadair-built F-86 (under licence from North American) with its Orenda engine out-performed even the final version Uncle Sam's own Sabres. The Arrow was head-and-shoulders above the best you had. ;-)

Wolf
The Canadair-built F-86 was the last jet I flew. The Sabre mark 6 had nearly twice the thrust of the earlier North American version. Jackie Cochrane(an American lady aviator)used a Canadian Sabre to break the sound barrier and set a ladies speed record.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Yeah ... today's Canadore College flight school - a place I've been to many times - sits on the site of 28 empty Bomarc bunkers.

From John A and his attempt to sell off a nearly-complete CPR to the USA, through Dief's destruction of the Canadian aerospace industry and Mulroney's trade-away of a lot of the rest, to Harper doing to us whatever Uncle Sam wants, name me one Tory who actually looked out for Canadian interests.

Wolf
We have the lowest unemployment rate in 30+ years. Stupid NAFTA.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Thanks to McDonalds, Walmart and Burger King - Note: all American companies who pay as little as possible - while companies like Weyerhauser close plants and move machinery to their homes in the US.

Wolf

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I wouldn't want Canada to be a WMD supplier like the US, so it's kind of good that the Arrow project was shut down. We can put our efforts into science and research instead.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
And what do you think the aerospace industry was? We're still in there with Canadarm and the Mars project. What could have been had the whole project not gone bust? Besides - where do you think Agent Orange came from ... or the uranium for atom bombs?

Wolf

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
#juan, that's pretty cool that you flew the F-86. Amazing stuff.

Speaking of aircraft, remember when the Vulcan was a staple at the Abbotsford Airshow? I use to love watching that pig, especially when the pilot would tilt the nose up and put the pedal to the metal. It sounded like it got about an inch to the gallon of gas. The sound would rattle fillings.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
#juan, that's pretty cool that you flew the F-86. Amazing stuff.

Speaking of aircraft, remember when the Vulcan was a staple at the Abbotsford Airshow? I use to love watching that pig, especially when the pilot would tilt the nose up and put the pedal to the metal. It sounded like it got about an inch to the gallon of gas. The sound would rattle fillings.

Hi Rick
The Vulcan bomber was a test bed in a lot of ways for the Concord. The Rolls Royce Olympus engines on the Vulcan were eventually, with a bit of refinement, used on the Concord. During Expo 86 the Concord came to Abbotsford and we all got to hear that ground shaking rumble once again when that big white delta wing was climbing out after a low pass. It was an impressive beast.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
...and how am I so green? The Canadair-built F-86 (under licence from North American) with its Orenda engine out-performed even the final version Uncle Sam's own Sabres. The Arrow was head-and-shoulders above the best you had. ;-)

Wolf

Yeah the final version which was most likely obsolete. Basically you took an obsolete aircraft, put a stronger engine in it and said...

"Hey... our version is a lot better than yours!"

Enjoy!