Book List

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
Hi
For those of you that like to read books could your list what books you,ve read , plan to read or are reading ?

God Delusion
Breaking the spell
Letter to a Christian nation .
Letter to an Atheist
Against All Enemies .
The Audacity of hope
Infidel .
America the book .
Selfish Gene .
Scriptures of the West .
Failed states .
Dante's Inferno
Manufacturing Consent .
Perilous Power: The Middle East & U.S. Foreign Policy Dialogues on Terror, Democracy, War, and Justice.
Great war For Civilization
In defense of atheism .
God is not great .
End of Faith

Those are what I can list right now from memory will be adding to it as i remember more.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Gulliver's Travels, Personal Injuries, The Philosopher's Stone, The Art of Teaching, The Illiad

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Here are a few past favorites:

Les Miserables

Shogun

I Am A Cat

The Broken Commandment

The Cricket Match

Sherlock Holmes (series)

Don Quixote

Macbeth

and a few goodies written by Yanks:

Moby Dick

Huckleberry Finn

Old Man + The Sea

Maggie, A Girl of the Streets

The Miseries and Mysteries of New York

The Story of a Country Town

Amby Dukes

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The Duncton wood series, a great story of religion and civilization lived vicariously through moles. heh

The Chapman series on boats and seamanship is fantastic too, though a technical read.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
First of all, let me advise you to stay right the hell away from Gunter Grass's The Tin Drum. It won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1999........and it is complete garbage. I'm within 100 pages of the end.......and I don't think I'm gonna make it. The Swedish Academy must have been smoking some VERY good dope.

Great Stuff

1984, by George Orwell

Anything by John Steinbeck.

I read a lot of history.........my next two up are a history of the first regiment of British riflemen, serving on the Iberian Peninsula against Napolean's troops.

Next up is a book about the Iranian hostage crisis.......the 444 days of captivity of the American hostages.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I read a lot of history.........my next two up are a history of the first regiment of British riflemen, serving on the Iberian Peninsula against Napolean's troops.
Read the 'Sharpe' books by Bernard Cornwell as a companion to these.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
1984- George Orwell
The Count of Monte Christo- Alexandre Dumas
Guns, Germs and Steel- Jared Diamond
The Ingenuity Gap- Thomas Homer-Dixon
The Weather Makers- Tim Flannery
To Kill a Mocking Bird- Harper Lee

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Right now I'm rotating my way through...

Decartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain
The Reformation: Europe's House Divided
Earthly Powers: The Clash of Religion and Politics in Europe, from the French Revolution to the Great War
Cataclysm: The First World War as a Political Tradgedy
The Anatomy of Fascism

Want to order up a copy of Love, Justice and Power by Paul Tillich once one of those is finished. Got my eyes out for a couple of Tolsloys.

Guns, Germs and Steel rocks.

If you enjoy satire Jennifer Government is a must read.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
1984 by Orwell - quite a gem.

Also, Joyce's Ulysses.

When I was a college freshman back in 1970, it was thought at the time that Lady Chatterley's Lover was among the best. Today, however, it is no longer viewed that way.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
1984 is, indeed, a great novel. And as for Lady Chatterley's Lover, I would place it in the same category with Nabokov's books - very well written, but about nothing. Not really worth reading, in my opinion.

And right now I am in the process of reading what appears to me one of the worst books ever written - the Sparrows by one Horace W. C. Newte. You know how it happens sometimes - you start reading a book, about half-through you see that is is trash, but you keep reading it just because you've already read so much, there's no point in giving it up. The same with this Sparrows novel. The heroine is the kind of a girl I would like to knock on the head real hard, hoping to knock some sense into her. She's stuck-up, selfish, sanctimonious, and stupid into the bargain. I am really hoping that things will turn out bad for her, because she really deserves it, but there seems to be very little hope of that :-( And the plot itself is so predictable, it's absoltely boring.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
No listing would be complete without a selection from the 19th century Russian classicists such as:

The Brothers Karamazov

Crime and Punishment

and perhaps the greatest of them all, Fathers and Sons.