Eiffel Tower is the world's most disappointing tourist spot

Blackleaf
The British have been asked to name their most disappointing tourist spots around the world. Not surprisingly, the British have named FRENCH tourist areas as the top 2 most disappointing: the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.

The United States, though, had the most entries in the Disappointing Top 10. British tourists are disappointed with Times Square (3), the Statue of Liberty (5) and the White House (7).

A similar poll for British tourists within the UK sees, Stonehenge as the most disappointing. Blackpool Tower, in Britain's biggest coastal resort (which looks like a smaller version of the Eiffel Tower) was also in the list.

The favourite tourist spot for the British in Britain is the magnificent and ancient Alnwick Castle in Northumberland. The Royal Crescent in the ancient city of Bath - one of the most beautiful cities in Europe adorned with Roman statues, Roman baths (that are still steaming away from the natural hot springs they were built on) and Georgian architecture - is also one of Britain's best-loved tourist areas.

Eiffel Tower 'most disappointing' tourist spot

By Natalie Paris
17/08/2007
The Telegraph

The Eiffel Tower is "frustratingly overcrowded and overpriced" while Stonehenge is "just a load of old rocks" according to a report which has named the top ten most disappointing tourist spots.

The Eiffel Tower topped the blacklist for Brits abroad

The Louvre's Mona Lisa and New York's Times Square also have difficulty enticing tourists to rush back, the survey reveals.

Even Egypt's great pyramids, one of the seven wonders of the world, made the list of underwhelming and overrated attractions, because of the oppressive heat and the persistent hawkers.

But top of the list was Paris's famous tower, which almost a quarter of the 1,000 plus British tourists questioned dubbed a flop.

Felice Hardy of Virgin Travel Insurance, which commissioned the survey, said holidaymakers looking for unexpected delights should opt for less mainstream destinations.

"It's easy to be swayed by brochures that opt for the mainstream and focus on cliched tourist sights around the world, but many of them are overcrowded and disappointing," she said.

Those looking to avoid the crowds but witness something spectacular could do worse than seek out the only recently unearthed fortress of Kuelap in northern Peru, a just rival to crowded Machu Picchu in the south.

The far-flung, jungle-clad temples of Cambodia are another option waiting to be discovered, as is the Javan temple of Borobudur, where you might get to enjoy some cultural exchanges as one of the few international tourists appreciating the Buddhist reliefs.

Blackpool Tower, at Britain's biggest coastal resort in Blackpool, Lancashire, was 3rd in the blacklist for Brits at home. It opened in 1889.

Walking the trails at the Taroko Gorge in Taiwan is highly recommended for more active travellers as is traversing China's beautiful Tiger Leaping Gorge.

The sights voted most disappointing around the world by Brits were:

1) The Eiffel Tower
2) The Louvre (Mona Lisa)
3) Times Square
4) Las Ramblas, Spain
5) Statue of Liberty
6) Spanish Steps, Rome
7) The White House
8 ) The Pyramids, Egypt
9) The Brandenburg Gate, Germany
10) The Leaning Tower of Pisa

THE WORST

The sights voted most disappointing in Britain were:

1) Stonehenge
2) The Angel of the North
3) Blackpool Tower
4) Lands' End
5) The Princess Diana Memorial Fountain
6) The London Eye
7) Brighton Pier
8 ) Buckingham Palace
9) The White Cliffs of Dover
10) Big Ben.

THE BEST

Ten tourist spots in Britain that are sure NOT to disappoint:

1) Alnwick Castle, Northumberland

2) Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, County Antrim

3) The Royal Crescent, Bath, Avon

4) Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Southwark, London

5) The Backs, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

6) Holkham Bay, Norfolk

7) Lyme Regis and the Jurassic Coast, Dorset

8 ) Tate St Ives, sunny Cornwall

9) Isle of Skye (UK's third-largest island after the mainland island of Britain and the Isle of Lewis)

10) The Eden Project, Cornwall.

telegraph.co.uk

s243a
The article would be more interesting if there was more feedback as to why they were disappointed.

SwitSof
Quote: Originally Posted by s243aView Post

The article would be more interesting if there was more feedback as to why they were disappointed.

I think it's more how it's talked about a lot of times thus people have high expectations towards them and these expectations are not met...
I must admit when I went to the top floor of Eiffel Tower, saw Mona Lisa in The Louvre and went around the Times Square (haven't been to the other places in the list), there was no particular emotion/feeling evoked for me.
At least the view from the top of Eiffel Tower is indeed beautiful, but it doesn't particularly give you as if you were in the city of romance nor anything like that, well I reckon it's more important of the company you were with at that time and I was with a stranger traveller whom I met that day which was ok, but he was not even a friend. So I guess these sites are considered overrated. I'm sure there are beautiful scenes in Venetia, Prague, etc. as well that would give you similar feeling of appreciation.
As for Mona Lisa painting, I could see only for about 5 minutes as it was a very long queue and it was much smaller than I thought and being a non-expert in art, probably I just don't see what the art enthusiasts would see. It didn't evoke any particular feeling by looking at it.
And as for Times Square, yeah it just looks like another metropolitan busy area. Probably if you're there during the countdown, it'd give you a different feeling by being there. Then again I've walked across the busiest intersection in the world: Shibuya intersection in Tokyo, so probably Times Square is just similar to me.
Last edited by SwitSof; Aug 17th, 2007 at 03:42 PM..Reason: typo

eh1eh
I know I wouldn't be disappointed if I saw a giant bubble wrap dome like that one in Cornwall. Imagine the pops from that.

TenPenny
Proving once again that the typical Brit is, in reality, a moron. Eiffel tower is disappointing?

hermanntrude
i was rather impressed by the eiffel tower. especially the way the elevators go up sideways. it reminded me of charlie and the great glass elevator.

by the way tenpenny... the average HUMAN is, in reality, a moron.

SwitSof
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

i was rather impressed by the eiffel tower. especially the way the elevators go up sideways. it reminded me of charlie and the great glass elevator.

Actually I was admiring the engineering side of it I must admit, the planning, the building.
A magnificent thing like that was built by people though. The engineer is certainly not an average human. He finished it in time too!

Twila
The view from the Eiffel tower is AMAZING! You just can't appreciate how large Paris is until you're up there!

The Louvre disappointing? How can history be disappointing? Mind you, it takes a good week to see most of it. Or are they only referring to the Mona Lisa (hence the brackets)?

hermanntrude
and it really was a first. Nothing like that had ever been built before. At the time it was quite remarkable... and unlike a lot of things built less than 30 years ago, it's not falling down yet, despite the fact it was supposed to be a temporary structure.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

The view from the Eiffel tower is AMAZING! You just can't appreciate how large Paris is until you're up there!

The Louvre disappointing? How can history be disappointing? Mind you, it takes a good week to see most of it. Or are they only referring to the Mona Lisa (hence the brackets)?

I'd say probably the mona lisa. That's pretty much what most brits do in the louvre... get out the map, find the mona lisa, elbow their way to the front, take a picture and leave.

Twila
Quote:

get out the map, find the mona lisa, elbow their way to the front, take a picture and leave.

Really? When my husband and I went we were like lost for the whole day! we actually never got to the Mona Lisa! Too much other stuff to see...besides...isn't it just a replica? Or did the original turn up again?

hermanntrude
I've no idea... I thought it was an original but I don't know for sure. I walked past it... couldn't bothered to get too close, since there was a scrum around it. We spent a few hours wandering around the insides, looked at all sorts. It's a fascinating museum.

TenPenny
We made sure to see the Mona Lisa, but spent a lot of time wandering the Louvre, looking at...well...everything.

SwitSof

Really? When my husband and I went we were like lost for the whole day! we actually never got to the Mona Lisa! Too much other stuff to see...besides...isn't it just a replica? Or did the original turn up again?

It was the original when I was there, June this year. Which was why the very long queue and the time for a group of people to see was probably even less than 5 minutes. But if I'm not mistaken, the original is rotated in different museums/galleries every now and then.

Twila, was it romantic for you and the hubby to be in Paris?
Last edited by SwitSof; Aug 17th, 2007 at 06:15 PM..

SwitSof

When my husband and I went we were like lost for the whole day!

Yeah, I'm going back to see other things cause it's too HUGE to be able to see everything in a day.
It took me 4 hours and several sitting-down breaks yet still very sore legs to go to all 4 floors of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan and the Louvre is much bigger.

jjaycee98
Quote: Originally Posted by s243aView Post

Probably thought it should do something besides just stand there. I honestly think our society is so jaded by the over abundance of everything that they won't value many things from the past. Personally I was awed by the Eiffel Tower and the Leaning Tower of Pisa was so amazing. These people would think the Roman Catacombs were just alot of holes dug in dirt and Venice just an old city with narrow streets and flooded alleys.

Modern machinery and tools make many things easy that used to take years to accomplish. If they do not value the effort of human hands, feet and backs then they won't find many historic sites of any interest or value.