Master of the BBQ- South African Style

Twila

httpukyoutubecomwatchvvq2SOmwzjUU

Crashed
Excellent! I love the "keep the chick out of the loop" strategy. What's with all the sausage?

55Mercury
Quote: Originally Posted by CrashedView Post

Excellent! I love the "keep the chick out of the loop" strategy. What's with all the sausage?

Say Crash, good to see ya.

Yeah that vid was kinda fun, what with the perfunctory ritual swigs and the whole hierarchy scheme of things.

But you're the cook, so give us the skinny on the to-prick-or-not-to-prick philosophical conundrum with sausage grilling. Was the ostracized outsider right? i.e., don't be a prick?

:?)

Impetus
Hey Crash!
Our resident BBQ master!

I fall into the non-prick camp. The newcomer was right!

The fat will find its way out on its own and if you prick them they dry out.

Cook on a low heat to make sure they're cooked through and so as not to burst the skin.

Muz

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpetusView Post

Hey Crash!
Our resident BBQ master!

I fall into the non-prick camp. The newcomer was right!

The fat will find its way out on its own and if you prick them they dry out.

Cook on a low heat to make sure they're cooked through and so as not to burst the skin.

Muz

I think it is proper etiquette to refer to Clash as "Meister" in this format.
As in: "Yo Dawg, he da sausage meister awnah B B Q yo." or "Yo Dawg, da chicken meister is in da house yo." I like to think one day he will hold a clinic on tongs (the care and handling of) cause I'm totally there.

Crashed
Definitely no pricking or probing. Not only will the sausages dry but the fat will cause flare-ups. And unless you're equipped with an atomizer or water bottle, flames will singe the meat. I don't know 'bout you fellas, but i don't like my sausage burnt.

Next to the 10" French knife, tongs are a cook's best tool.

Impetus
The Q-Meister has spoken!

What's a French Knife? DO I have one in the knife block set I bought?
I'm more of a cleaver-type guy myself...I like the weight behind it.

Muz

Quote: Originally Posted by CrashedView Post

Definitely no pricking or probing. Not only will the sausages dry but the fat will cause flare-ups. And unless you're equipped with an atomizer or water bottle, flames will singe the meat. I don't know 'bout you fellas, but i don't like my sausage burnt.

Next to the 10" French knife, tongs are a cook's best tool.

Brat
So there ya have it!
Don't be a prick while BBQing!

I need new knives. Mine are fifteen years old and I just can't sharpen a good edge on them anymore.
Any suggestions on knife brands?

Crashed
Here ya go Muz...
www.chefsresource.com/160420.html (external - login to view)

Brat, i've always used Henkell knives. A little pricey, but very dependable and they keep an edge and last forever. There's also Victorinox as a slightly economical alternative. Grohman (from Nova Scotia) also put out a decent product.