Are Crows fair game?

Impetus
I know that farmers have had it in for crows since before the first scarecrow was invented, but I wonder what they do about them nowadays.

We have crows, you see, and these crows have developed a bad habit of congregating in the big tree outside our bedroom window at 5:AM every day and their "cawing" wakes us up. Of course, once our alarm clock goes off at 6:30 they flock off...but we're losing that last 90 minutes of essential REM sleep every day.

What do I have to do, build a scarecrow and hang it in the tree or is there a simpler, permanent way of dealing with them apart from cutting down the tree?

I'm sure the local farmers would rather I shoot them...

Muz

Dreadful Nonsense
You do realize that some of them are sorcerors. I'm serious man....
You have a larger than average piece of land , do you not.
I would ask Twila for something to build on the opposite side of your house to attract them.....

Dreadful Nonsense
BINGO!!! just thought of this and it's right up yer alley....fix a few real bright white strobe lights to the tree facing skyward and shielded from your view...put em on timers.....unless some of them are ex acid freaks come back as crows to learn about flying that should do er.....
doc a fied or what?

Twila
Bright and flashy objects such as pie tins and Mylar party balloons, which cost little, can be very effective at repelling crows Just hang them in the tree in your yard.

Crows are exceedingly smart. You've got to figure out how to "teach" them correctly to avoid that tree. just be careful you don't teach them inadvertently the "wrong" lesson.

Avro
I'll support the farmer in what ever solution he comes up with even if it means shooting the pesky critters as long as food gets I my table I really don't care.

Impetus
I think I figured out my own solution...

I've always had a bird feeder (very nice "condo" style unit on a high pole) and usually in the summer we don't fill it up since there's plenty of food to be had. We'd prefer they start eating more bugs.

Well, with the heat and shortage of bugs the small birds have flocked off. Turns out it was them keeping the crows away since they're really territorial. I refilled the feeder on Friday and they''ve been back in full force and guess what? NO crows to be found.

These little birds attack the crows like Spitfires on a Heinkel bomber and drive them away.

Bag of bird seed - $8.99
Ability to sleep in the morning - Priceless!

Muz

Dreadful Nonsense
Lol!

wallyj
Crows,I hate'em. Feathered rats,flying balls of vermin,sitting in thier murders mocking us good folks.Kill them all I say. Just give me a time and place and I'll send over a few buddies to take care of your problem,free of charge. They enjoy thier work and are experts in the field.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by wallyjView Post

Crows,I hate'em. Feathered rats,flying balls of vermin,sitting in thier murders mocking us good folks.Kill them all I say. Just give me a time and place and I'll send over a few buddies to take care of your problem,free of charge. They enjoy thier work and are experts in the field.

Stands in from of Wally here with a can of agent orange..."You Vill now call up Zee bird friend zen tell im that vee no longer need his services...SCHNELL!!!
"

Twila
Humans - are they fair game? I think they should be....murderous, smelly, stupid creatures...do away with them...the bring nothing but destruction and death to the planet....

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Humans - are they fair game? I think they should be....murderous, smelly, stupid creatures...do away with them...the bring nothing but destruction and death to the planet....

but pulease leave me and Twila till we meet....and i would walk one hundred miles and i would walk one hundred more just to be the man that falls down at your door delelalalaldela dlelaldlealdlelald dlealdle delda ldealdel

DaSleeper
Everyone has a problem with crows....especially on garbage day...
I have found that shooting one and leaving it for a couple of days by your driveway will keep the crows out of your garbage for years.....they have a life expectancy of ten years and being highly intelligent they know better than to go where they can be shot.

They tear up the neighbour's garbage but leave mine alone

wallyj
Good idea,but shooting just one,you can do better.Shoot them all.Do not rest until the entire species is wiped from the face of earth and are roasting on a spit in Hell.

Nuggler
cut down the tree

tamarin
Leave the crows alone. The majority are smarter than your neighbours and better looking. And they'll likely out-IQ your kids. The fact crows are black probably suggests a latent racist element here as well. And for goodness sakes, if they're into your garbage, buy a lidded container. See, I told you they were smarter!

Impetus
Smarter than my neighbours, I'll concede but they are the ugliest birds around.

My garbage is in a sealed Glad bag in a heavy duty plastic garbage can in my garage.
We have way craftier varmints than crows to keep the garbage safe from.

We do live across the road from a farmer's field though.

I don't get the racism angle though...maybe sub-species-ism...

Muz

Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

Leave the crows alone. The majority are smarter than your neighbours and better looking. And they'll likely out-IQ your kids. The fact crows are black probably suggests a latent racist element here as well. And for goodness sakes, if they're into your garbage, buy a lidded container. See, I told you they were smarter!

wallyj
Three more reasons why these flying rats should be plucked alive and boiled in oil. Crowsfeet,no woman wants them. Eating crow,literally or figuratively.very unpleasant. Crowquet,what a stupid game. Extinction is our only hope.

DaSleeper
Worst than crows and a bit bigger are the ravens, who are a protected species......but they get the message when they see a dead crow....you can tell them from their hooked beak which his made specially for tearing up garbage bags

tamarin
Evolution should be kind to the black czars. As the generations unfold and the years pile up like mountains, larger crows will likely evolve. It'll be a common sight then for them to be plucking kids from schoolyards. Nature abhors a vacuum and with such a plentiful food supply for the aspiring changeling, maybe the crow in the end will be our answer to overpopulation.

wallyj
Yes,that is why we should take them out now. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your children and your grandchildren.Remember Hitchcock's "The Birds". Better to be safe than sorry. Perhaps a bounty on these avian assassins would speed up the process.

tamarin
Yes, but we must also act on behalf of the earth. Surely, that's a higher calling. Let the black princes thrive.

wallyj
No,the noisy nubian never-do wells must be destroyed. On behalf of the earth and future generations it must be done. We can always take photos and stuff a few of the fleabags to placate the enviroMENTALists.

tamarin
Ah, Wally, we shall never settle this except over a game of cards. What do you say a night of poker and let the chips fall where they may...

wallyj
I'd love to ,but it is too dangerous to venture outside,those damn crows and maybe even flying monkeys. Also I am not too fond of lions,tigers or bears.But worst of all is fire,just listening to the Springsteen song loosens my bowels. I think I will just stay put and wile away the hours,conferring with the flowers,consulting with the rain. Cheers.
Last edited by wallyj; Aug 12th, 2007 at 05:53 PM..

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by oldnuglyView Post

cut down the tree

lol too easy...went over all our heads too....roflmao

Twila
I still vote for lowering the human population. They're much more bothersome and a whole lot uglier then even your mangiest of crows...

tamarin
Twila, more than one meeting of scientists has mulled such a possibility. Don't trust the white-robed priests of tubes and intrigue. Even when they might actually do the world the greatest of services.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by wallyjView Post

No,the noisy nubian never-do wells must be destroyed. On behalf of the earth and future generations it must be done. We can always take photos and stuff a few of the fleabags to placate the enviroMENTALists.

Consider that all things have something to do with something else. Also consider that 99.9% or so of all the species that have ever lived are now extinct. What happened when the last of the Mamoths kicked the bucket?

wallyj
Consider my avatar.

karrie
On the Mounted Animal Nature Trail
You'll be sure to see
All Mother Nature's favorite pets
All sitting rigidly.
They're never hungry anymore
They're last meal left them stuffed.
Don't worry they won't walk away
If you you try to pet their fluff.

Where the dog goes... (silence)
And the cow goes... (silence)
And the bear goes... (silence)
And the pig goes... (silence)
And the crow goes... KWAH!
I guess it was alive.
You can see all this
At the Mounted Animal Nature Trail.

The Mounted Animal Nature Trail
It's good for mom and dad.
Where else can grandma and the kids
See the Silence of the Lambs.
Don't have to walk a hundred miles
Or climb the steepest hill.
And the only fiercesome sound you'll hear
Is the ringing of the till.

And the crow goes... KWAH!
I guess it was alive.
You can see all this

The only things that bite are the bugs.
Unlike any themepark the mice won't say hello.
And if your having problems with your own family pet.
You can bring him in and add him to the trail.
"Everybody!"

And the crow goes...
"Don't cry for me argentina, the truth is I never left you"
Where's its metal bra.
You can see all this

(by The Arrogant Worms)