Are Crows fair game?

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Yep a flock of crows is called a murder....wanna know what a "group" of ferrets is called? It's soooo funny.....

They're called a mischief! How apprey po, no?

AAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... it sure is....man Our Twila is the cats pajamas....hey why do We say that ? what the? what are cats pajamas
anyways?

JoeSchmoe
City people... if it's a noisy bird, have it removed.... cut down the tree.... whatever it takes to remove the vermin. Of course traffic noise and pollution is something that you have to live with! hehehe

Farmers.... if it eats stuff on my farm, kill it.

A lot in common.... both have very little respect for nature or animals. Kinda sad really.... I live in amongst lots of trees.... birds galore. Better cawing and squaking birds than the honking of horns!!

Crows as Clever as Great Apes, Study Says (external - login to view)

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Yep a flock of crows is called a murder....wanna know what a "group" of ferrets is called? It's soooo funny.....

They're called a mischief! How apprey po, no?

a group of ravens is known as an unkindness or a conspiracy

JoeSchmoe
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

a group of ravens is known as an unkindness or a conspiracy

A murmuration of starlings.

Twila
www.thealmightyguru.com/Point...malGroups.html (external - login to view)

For all your animal group naming needs

hermanntrude
a stubbornness of rhinos, a fling of sandpipers, an escargatoire of snails, a mustering of storks, a regatta of swans...

collective nouns are fun

eh1eh
Hummingbirds - A charm of hummingbirds, a troubling of hummingbirds, a hover of hummingbirds

hermanntrude
a nonexistance of hummingbirds <sulk>

Twila
Quote:

hey why do We say that ? what the? what are cats pajamas

All I can find suggests it's from the roaring '20's. Flapper era....ah...the 20's I wish I hadn't missed that! I'd have made a cool flapper...snazzy jazz cat.

eh1eh
Jays - A band of jays, party of jays

lone wolf

a nonexistance of hummingbirds <sulk>

Set up a hummingbird feeder - even a clear glass of "nectar" - mixed one part sugar four parts water. If there's a hummingbird within ten miles, you'll have two of them fighting over it in minutes.

Wolf

hermanntrude
untrue! I KNOW there are hummingbirds in edmonton, people tell me all the time. However I had a feeder up for months and not one blasted bird visited it. I think they're just trying to annoy me

Impetus
Try hanging it outdoors...

Muz

untrue! I KNOW there are hummingbirds in edmonton, people tell me all the time. However I had a feeder up for months and not one blasted bird visited it. I think they're just trying to annoy me

Twila
Hermanntrude, what you got in your feeder? My mom has been monitoring hummingbirds since 1970! Ever year she marks the first sitting. She uses her own homemade mixture of sugar, water, red food dye...and has great success....

It might help if you (next year) plant hummingbird friendly flowers?

hermanntrude
You don't have to tell me these things. I read up on everything about hummingbirds. I think i'm just in the wrong part of town.

By the way the red food dye is unnecessary and may even be harmful to the birds. Red is attractive to the birds (mostly because insects can't see it so red flowers tend to have nectar left over for the birds), but it's only really the feeder that needs to be red.

Curiosity
Anyone of you Mensa Candidates...

How about giving us a collective noun for a significant number of forum members....

hermanntrude
a schism

Twila
Quote:

By the way the red food dye is unnecessary and may even be harmful to the birds.

I will be sure to tell my mom. If she doesn't know already she's going to be devestated....

hermanntrude
I should add it probably isnt harmful. It's just that people tend to leave it out now since it's not necessary and COULD be.

Nuggler
SORRY to pee on the parade but red food dye is definitely harmful to hummingbirds.

Like Hermm says, they are attracted by the colour of the container, the liquid doesn't have to be red.

They won't drop dead in five minutes or whatever, but, over time, I believe kidney damage comes to mind.....................or liver.............

Tell yer maw to quit the red.

Twila
Quote:

Tell yer maw to quit the red.

Even if it was just suspected of causing the littliest of damage, I'd be telling her...but this is a for sure...first call when I get home type of deal.

Poor little hummingbirds...she's going to be upset....I hope it's the bottle that's red....fingers crossed.....

Minority Observer84
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

How about giving us a collective noun for a significant number of forum members....

Trolls

Twila
a Genius

wallyj
a slough

Unforgiven
A Babble

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

fora fawna

55Mercury
a diatribe of forum members

no no, I got it now:

a globaloney of forum lurkers.

:?D
Last edited by 55Mercury; Aug 15th, 2007 at 12:44 AM..Reason: not so sober second thought

Dreadful Nonsense
VW clown Beatle

Twila
k, so my mom said she'd stopped dying the water years ago and now just has a red plastic container.....seems she already knew!

one giant PHEW!

Zan

Had an experience with one these cute l'il gaffers today- well ok, they're not called gaffers, it's a Warbler. Poor thing flew into a window at work. He stayed where he landed, upright but not moving for a long time - a good few hours. He seemed to have an injured wing, only one eye was opening, and the tip of his little beak was bent. A couple of us took trips outside every half hour or so to see if he'd moved - he hadn't. He wasn't in the best spot - by a bike rack, and vulnerable to predators or just being stepped on by passers by. He had a collection of fans after a while, also checking on him - on one of my visits to check on him I was touched to see an attempt by some kids (I assume) to provide sustenance - there was a Dorito and a little puddle of soda pop on the sidewalk beside him!
Anyway, after much ado, we decided to place him in a little basket and put him in a corner with some water where he was a bit safer. By this time I'd decided if he hadn't moved by the end of the day, he was coming home with me - to either die in peace or recover.

This has a happy ending - on our last check on him, he had finally flown away. Happy me.