Are Crows fair game?

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by wallyjView Post

Consider my avatar.

Thinking outside the box again aren't ya.

wallyj
Just having a little fun. Crows are magnificent birds.

Twila
Quote:

Just having a little fun. Crows are magnificent birds.

I'm going to have to get to know you a bit better....I thought you were serious about the doing away with.....

Minority Observer84
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Humans - are they fair game? I think they should be....murderous, smelly, stupid creatures...do away with them...the bring nothing but destruction and death to the planet....

If only people really saw it that way ........

Minority Observer84
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpetusView Post

I think I figured out my own solution...

I've always had a bird feeder (very nice "condo" style unit on a high pole) and usually in the summer we don't fill it up since there's plenty of food to be had. We'd prefer they start eating more bugs.

Well, with the heat and shortage of bugs the small birds have flocked off. Turns out it was them keeping the crows away since they're really territorial. I refilled the feeder on Friday and they''ve been back in full force and guess what? NO crows to be found.

These little birds attack the crows like Spitfires on a Heinkel bomber and drive them away.

Bag of bird seed - $8.99
Ability to sleep in the morning - Priceless!

Muz

Well done ! I'am glad you found a sensible solution to your problem without killing anything .

Impetus
Quote: Originally Posted by Minority Observer84View Post

Well done ! I'am glad you found a sensible solution to your problem without killing anything .

Well, it was just a bit of deductive reasoning...now that I've filled the feeder we've also had the Blue Jays return. But no crows!

Muz

hermanntrude

I know that farmers have had it in for crows since before the first scarecrow was invented, but I wonder what they do about them nowadays.

We have crows, you see, and these crows have developed a bad habit of congregating in the big tree outside our bedroom window at 5:AM every day and their "cawing" wakes us up. Of course, once our alarm clock goes off at 6:30 they flock off...but we're losing that last 90 minutes of essential REM sleep every day.

What do I have to do, build a scarecrow and hang it in the tree or is there a simpler, permanent way of dealing with them apart from cutting down the tree?

I'm sure the local farmers would rather I shoot them...

Muz

You should try living up north with the ravens. They're bigger, cleverer, and make a whole VARIETY of noises

Twila
Quote:

Now that I've filled the feeder we've also had the Blue Jays return.

Ah blue jays...the second noisest bird. Do they have a song that doesn't sound like a dying elk?

Colpy
Crows make fine targets, basically a varmit, they are on the year-round license here in NB. I used to shoot them on sight, but am a little less apt to waste ammo on them now.

They are smart.........got so they would not approach my camp, but would roost in a tree about 120 yards off, across the river, well out of shotgun range. Then I bought a lovely, accurate .223 Rem rifle. 55 grain Super Explosive Hornady bullets at 3200 feet per second make'em blow up real good!

hermanntrude

Ah blue jays...the second noisest bird. Do they have a song that doesn't sound like a dying elk?

I had a visit from a bluejay yesterday. Fantastically beautiful creature. They are rather noisey, though, eh? I never realised they're named after their noise

Twila
Quote:

They are rather noisey, though, eh? I never realised they're named after their noise

Completely noisy birds...but so beautiful..it's kind of funny they're so beautiful yet so noisy.

hermanntrude
there's a species of Jay in the UK, which we just call a Jay. Also beautiful but much rarer than a bluejay.

missile
I think that seagulls and pigeons should be wiped off the face of the earth

hermanntrude
i'm not a fan of pigeons, either. they live on the stairs outside my apartment and make stupid noises for ever. Seagulls amuse me here, since they're about 4000 miles from the sea

karrie
The gulls are THICK this year. We went boating at a lake not far from here, and the whole thing was white with feathers from the dumb birds. Tubing was disgusting, you came out with feathers plastered to your face. Ugh.

Twila
Quote:

Tubing was disgusting, you came out with feathers plastered to your face. Ugh.

better feathers then.....other white sticky bits.

karrie

Yeah, well, I'm sure it was all mixed in there. It's next to impossible to keep them from defecating in the lake, despite all the laws regarding sewage.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by missileView Post

I think that seagulls and pigeons should be wiped off the face of the earth

Oh you don't really want that. They eat all sorts of garbage we cast off and a good portion of the roadkill left around.

Dreadful Nonsense

sounds like my sex life has been posted somewheres

Twila
Quote:

It's next to impossible to keep them from defecating in the lake, despite all the laws regarding sewage.

has somebody tried to communicate this to them? I'm sure if they knew it was against the law....j/k

tamarin
Humans have always considered other species as either a resource or a nuisance. We commodify everything.

wallyj

I'm going to have to get to know you a bit better....I thought you were serious about the doing away with.....

No ,never,I am serious about crows being magnificent birds. I rarely see them anymore but I do smile at those rare times.Using the scarecrow as my avatar I couldn't resist taking a literal shot at the bird. I also know that they are not responsible for that very stupid game "crowquet". But years ago,when I lived near Detroit,I loved to watch the Tigers beat up on those damn Blue Jays.
Last edited by wallyj; Aug 13th, 2007 at 03:21 PM..Reason: sp.

Twila
Quote:

No ,never,I am serious about crows being magnificent birds. I rarely see them anymore but I do smile at those rare times

You should come to Burnaby BC in the fall. There is approx 10,000 birds in this particular murder. It's amazing to watch. They fly around BCIT. The first time I saw it I thought something was horribly wrong...then somebody explained about the large flock. Now it's amazing to watch and to hear...and they'll fly so close to you....the trees are filled and the sky almost turns black!

Dreadful Nonsense

You should come to Burnaby BC in the fall. There is approx 10,000 birds in this particular murder. It's amazing to watch.

what ya mean murder Twila? is that a word for crows flocking?

I once saw an almoat total white crow , out in vancouver when i lived there.
There was this area, might be burnaby come to think about it, it was filled with crows....the white one i saw when i lived on Nelson next to the park for a few months...alas things didn't work out for us....

Minority Observer84

Well, it was just a bit of deductive reasoning...now that I've filled the feeder we've also had the Blue Jays return. But no crows!

Muz

Do blue the jays squawk too ? Just curious.

hermanntrude
the bluejays have a very loud call which sounds a bit like "JAY JAY JAY"

Minority Observer84
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

the bluejays have a very loud call which sounds a bit like "JAY JAY JAY"

Looks like a problem substituted with another problem .

Impetus
Quote: Originally Posted by Minority Observer84View Post

Do blue the jays squawk too ? Just curious.

Funny...they don't squawk much at all.

The crows were back for a brief assault this morning though.
Have to recruit more songbirds...

Muz

lone wolf

Funny...they don't squawk much at all.

The crows were back for a brief assault this morning though.
Have to recruit more songbirds...

Muz

Don't squak? Forget to fill the feeder and you'll hear 'em loud and clear....

Wolf

Twila
Quote:

what ya mean murder Twila? is that a word for crows flocking?

Yep a flock of crows is called a murder....wanna know what a "group" of ferrets is called? It's soooo funny.....

They're called a mischief! How apprey po, no?