Animal Liberation Front threatens primate researcher

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Animal Liberation Front saboteurs have threatened to make an example of an Oregon primate researcher, possibly with firebombs, if he doesn't "quit the torture industry and issue an apology" for his work.
The underground group, which the FBI characterizes as a domestic terrorist organization, has issued a claim of responsibility for vandalizing the Lake Oswego home of Dr. Eliot Spindel.
A contractor on Tuesday discovered that Spindel's garage door had been spray-painted with a threat: "ALF eyes on you!"
"Our message to Eliot is simple: Quit the torture industry and issue an apology or we swear we will make an example of you," the ALF wrote in a claim of responsibility released late Thursday by the North American Animal Liberation Press Office.
Spindel's research at the Oregon National Primate Research Center in Hillsboro, a division of Oregon Health & Science University, has focused on blocking the damage that pregnant smokers do to their fetuses.
The researcher, who uses monkeys in his work, said in an interview Friday that he would neither apologize nor quit.
— Bryan Denson;

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
To be fair, since some animals can have rational conversation , pass knowledge orally and use tools... at what point does experimentation become wrong?

Who knows, in 20 years people may look back at the researcher like a serial murderer and the ALF in question as White Roses.

If everyone is doing what they think is moral then whatever happens they can rest easy.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
While generally I support the use of animals to cure man's ills, this research is not on my list of priorities. If a pregnant woman is to lazy to quit her disgusting habit for her own child perhaps we should give her a historectomy to pervent her form having kids. Even if you could block the effects of smoking on the fetus how would you stop the bitch from smoking in the house or the car with said child?

Smokers make me sick, thay are selfish, stinky, lazy, weak and dumb.:roll::angryfire:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I grew up in a generation where moms and dads smoked. Dads rolled their own. Industrial pollutants were hardcore, asbestos was a key house material, gas had lead and your cat and dog and hamster slept with you. Kids were healthy as hell, virtually none had asthma and autism hadn't been invented.
If something out there today is causing havoc, it ain't smokers.
Maybe, it's anti-smoking lobbyists and soap boxers. Pontificating, querulous - and not to be forgotten - stinky pups!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
To be fair, since some animals can have rational conversation , pass knowledge orally and use tools... at what point does experimentation become wrong?
I believe the point where it becomes wrong is when an animal CAN converse rationally, pass knowledge orally and use tools....And we know that animals do those things....

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
There are plenty of human bodies they could use for human-specific lab research. Why they test animals in the hope of achieving transference is ludicrous when they have plenty of the real thing that's available. Career criminals should be sentenced to the lab not prison.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Career criminals should be sentenced to the lab not prison.
Yes for sure! Lifers would be good candidates! Hell, given the lifer the choice...do the research and get better gruel or better accommodations or better yard time....

Why torture the innocents? What does that say about our society? Mahatmi Ghandi said "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
ah Jimi Hendrix said it best when he wrote:

I just want to talk to you. I
won't uh, do you no harm,
I just want to know about your different lives, on
this here people farm.

I heard some of you got your families, living in
cages tall & cold,
And some just stay there and dust away, past the
age of old.
Is this true? Please let me talk to you.

I just wanna know about, the rooms behind
your minds,
Do I see a vacuum there, or am I going blind?
Or is it just remains from vibrations and echoes
long ago,
Things like 'Love the World' and 'Let your fancy
flow',
Is this true? Please let me talk to you. Let me
talk to you.

I have lived here before, the days of ice,
And of course this is why I'm so concerned,
And I come back to find the stars misplaced
[ Lyrics provided by www.mp3lyrics.org ]
and the smell of a world that has burned.

The smell of a world that has burned.

Well, maybee, maybe it's just a change of
climate.
I can dig it, I can dig it
baby, I just want to see.

So where do I purchase my ticket,
I would just like to have a ringside seat,
I want to know about the new Mother Earth,
I want to hear and see everything,
I want to hear and see everything,
I want to hear and see everything.
Aw, shucks,
If my daddy could see me now.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Doc, those are terrible lyrics and I'm a Hendrix fan.
no soup for you:angryfire:

i think if you listen to the song you might get a lil different feel for the words.
He is speaking of course about zoo's in the secound paragraph...the first leading up to it...what follows is a commentary on the human condition that would allow for such things and what has become of the planet...
thanks for dissing it though ...here have some real stale halloween candy gauranteed to give you a belly ache.....:p

LOL...just kiddin with ya.....NAUGHT...Hendrix is sacrosanct

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I grew up in a generation where moms and dads smoked. Dads rolled their own. Industrial pollutants were hardcore, asbestos was a key house material, gas had lead and your cat and dog and hamster slept with you. Kids were healthy as hell, virtually none had asthma and autism hadn't been invented.
If something out there today is causing havoc, it ain't smokers.
Maybe, it's anti-smoking lobbyists and soap boxers. Pontificating, querulous - and not to be forgotten - stinky pups!

Oh I get it, smoking prevents illness then right?:lol:

Hey if disease ridden smokers want to get in line to test new cancer drugs I'm all for it. Until then I think the animals are best suited for it.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Smoking isn't a key factor in childhood illness nor a major threat to anyone other than smokers. And that's a longterm thing. Part of a huge variable that will contest the human condition over decades of living.
More research should be devoted to stress and noise as illness variables.
Only a human supremacist, a follower of a creed far more repugnant than racism or sexism or sectarianism, would use animals to study human diseases.

Doc, great lyrics stand on their own. These are limp and lame unaccompanied by music. But the lad sure could play!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected. -Chief Seattle.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected. -Chief Seattle.
nice words...true too....the present loss of bees comes to mind

just thought of a great thread....zooooomydo.......

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.
- Mark Twain

The assumption that animals are without rights, and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance, is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality.
-Arthur Schopenhauer

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
"The assumption that animals are without rights, and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance..."

This underpins the creed known as human supremacy and dictates the action of its followers known as human supremacists...me, I just call them a-holes.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
"The assumption that animals are without rights, and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance..."

This underpins the creed known as human supremacy and dictates the action of its followers known as human supremacists...me, I just call them a-holes.

I think a lot of it came from that line in the bible where it states man shall have dominion over the earth.....real forsight in that one.....naught!!!!!