Reading difficulty

SwitSof

Electoral Member
Hi, was wondering if you yourself or ever taught children who had/have reading difficulty.
How did you teach yourself or these children (maybe your own or the ones you came in contact as a teacher/volunteer) how to read with this learning disability?

I was volunteering fixing an elementary school and then teaching children and my group was to teach children how to put books' plastic covers from a sheet of plastic so from measuring, cutting till folding the covers. It was just a day's thing, so even though I thought there are better things to teach, but the programme was fixed already.
I had half an hour extra so I asked the children I was teaching, only 2, both were in 5th grade, so about 10 years old, to read. The girl could read quite fast and pronounce the words almost perfectly.
The boy on the other hand mispronounced a lot of words and was quite slow in reading.
I suspect he saw the first syllable and just pronounced the words he heard before, because what he mispronounced were completely different words to what were written.

I want to bring this into the attention of the headmaster but it'd be a more useful suggestion to bring up how to help these children. Plus it's a small school in a village where I suppose the school administrators are already occupied struggling carrying out the regular curriculum, running out the school etc.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hi, was wondering if you yourself or ever taught children who had/have reading difficulty.
How did you teach yourself or these children (maybe your own or the ones you came in contact as a teacher/volunteer) how to read with this learning disability?
There is no substitute for endless practise to master any skill.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Kids are taught to sight read today. Really, it's not the best of ideas considering how the look of one word may have a completely different sound that another word that looks almost the same ie: good food, cow and low, bow and bough. For some kids, it's so much easier to grasp reading if they learn by phonics. Ain't English a great language?

Wolf

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
reedin

Phonics is essential.

Wee lernd to reed usin foniks allmost alla th tyme.

An praktisd an praktisd til we wuz perfekt

Thets whut th kidz todae nead.

Mor praktiz.

eh?:fart:

For what it's worth; girls, most of the time, are more advanced in reading, at an earlier age, than are boys.

But, just take that young boy, set him up in front of the class and make him read when he's obviously having difficulty, and is comparing himself to his peers..........Marvelous things happen:
Stuttering
Low self esteem
Things that take years to, or can't be, corrected.
Giving him a smack on the head helps too.
You might try that.
It's what they used to do.
Ridicule works wonders also.
:angry3:

Jees Walter, Mike Harris a hero of yours or are you being sarcastic?? Or are you Mike Harris?? Did you or did you not say "I want those phukkin Indians out of there today??"

Sorry, just askin.
N'Ugg.