The West Coast: Empty??

4sarad

Jan 2, 2007
Alright, I have to admit that I'm another one of those Americans determined to move to Canada ASAP. I'm sure you're all sick of us!

I do have a question though. I'd love to live on the coast of BC, but from what I can tell, there's NOTHING there. Is this true or do I just have poor researching skills? I'm looking mostly in the mid to upper BC area. I see Prince Rupert and Kitmat (which seems to be pretty far inland). Is there anything else? I'm looking for a town with preferably more than a couple thousand people where I could afford to buy a nice little plot of land and build a home. Any ideas? I'm a librarian and my husband is a novelist, so as long as the town has a library that's all that matters job-wise. (and we do enjoy cloudy days, rain, and cool temperatures)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Try further south....the upper portion of BC is colder, and wetter. Most BC'ers live in the sourthern portion of BC

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's hardly empty. There are thousands of miles of beautiful, unspoiled fjords and inlets that are home to native settlements as well as wild animals. Of course there are a few prospectors and a few sawmills etc. There is a link below to a map that shows the main population centers

http://tinyurl.com/3dhn86

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Try the sunshine coast, (Pender Harbour, Gibsons), or Powell River area.

I've been to Prince Rupert, wouldn't live there if it was the last place to live in B.C.

The gulf islands, quadra island, savory island, texada island, all near the coast, (if you want to live
on an island).

From Prince Rupert down would be too remote for me, lots of small towns, and fishing areas.

If you want the more northern west coast, but don't mind going a little in land, Smithers is a very nice small town, can't remember how far from the coast, probably a couple of hours drive.

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
Over a million people live in the Southwest corner of the province.... it's hardly empty. I think we've reached our capacity though.... you're going to have to move to Saskatchewan. I believe they're accepting people there. Do you have wheat farming experience??

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, I didn't have the "pleasure" of being to Prince Rupert, but a buddy of mine was an RCMP officer in that "town" for a few years, and tho he says it was kind of nice there with the clean and everything, it's a pretty miserable place to live, if you like "stuff" and "folks" and modern things. He said it basically ran like one ENDLESS episode of that "North of 60" program- if that's your bag, Prince Rupert's your town, otherwise....... :D

The folks suggesting the areas on the "inland coast" north of Vancouver are on the right track, tho

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Over a million people live in the Southwest corner of the province.... it's hardly empty. I think we've reached our capacity though.... you're going to have to move to Saskatchewan. I believe they're accepting people there. Do you have wheat farming experience??

It may be a little more than that but who's counting:

Lower Mainland and southern Vancouver Island

More than two-thirds of British Columbia's population is concentrated in the Lower Mainland and southern Vancouver Island region. This region had a population of just over 2.7 million people in 2001, up 7.3% from 1996. It accounted for 69% of B.C.'s total, and 9% of the nation's population.
This region consists of the urban centres of Vancouver, Abbotsford and Chilliwack on the mainland, and Victoria, Duncan, Nanaimo and Parksville on Vancouver Island.

http://tinyurl.com/27ub6e