How useful are you

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Score:
Quite Good. Starting from the year zero, you might be able to advance civilization to the 17th or even 19th century. You are technologically useful.

Wrong Answers 3
Right Answers 7

I grew up in the cold war era when we half suspected (suspect?) nuclear war was (is?) imminent in our lifetimes.

I read books like Lucifer's Hammer and wanted to be the guy who knows how to get things working again.

Junkyard Wars., man! I wanted to be on that show...

Muz

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I got one wrong. It says I'm technically useful and that I could bring the world from zero back to the 19th or 20th century.

BTW, I also read Lucifer's Hammer.....good book......Niven and Pournell at their best

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Loved Lucifers Hammer....

I'm not going to take this test..... I know that I'm technically proficient enough to qualify as a door stop or a traffic cone.....

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Impetus

As I was reading Lucifers Hamer I was reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.

Makes an interesting couplet....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Impetus

As I was reading Lucifers Hamer I was reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.

Makes an interesting couplet....

Read both books a long time ago. I thought Rand's book was a bit depressing in parts, while Lucifer's Hammer was pretty much upbeat throughout....maybe even too much so. Was it a bit optimistic for Tim Hamner and his girlfriend to drive all night in their car on the railway tracks without the grade even once dropping below water enough to stop them? What the hell...it would have wrecked the story...

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Yes, Atlas Shrugged was an emotional read.
The idealist is often depressed by the compromises imposed upon us by reality.

I like The Fountainhead a lot too. I identified with the Roark character so much...

In "Hammer" I liked Hamner's idea of saving all the books in the septic tank.

I had books on everything. When I was touring I'd scour the used book stores in town and send a box of books home by Canada Post every couple of weeks.

Muz

Read both books a long time ago. I thought Rand's book was a bit depressing in parts, while Lucifer's Hammer was pretty much upbeat throughout....maybe even too much so. Was it a bit optimistic for Tim Hamner and his girlfriend to drive all night in their car on the railway tracks without the grade even once dropping below water enough to stop them? What the hell...it would have wrecked the story...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
First time I took the test, they said I would bring civilization to the 10th century,

the second, the 15th, then I began to forget the ones I guessed correctly, and lost ground, so I

quit.

Didn't know any of them, but at one point had 5 correct and 5 incorrect, which proves that guessing
should give you about 50% correct, I guess.8O:-|:x

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Ayn Rand thought that the working person (tradesperson, for example) was infinitely replaceable - that the creative spark was the only thing that mattered.

What a load of crap.

She convinced her husband and best friend that she (Ayn) and her best friend's husband ought to be able to have sex with each other - even if it hurt the feelings of her spouse and best friend.

What a bully.

Her books are ok reading, but her philosophy sucks ass.

Pangloss

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Man, did you actually read the book?

Rand wrote that no job was unimportant or ignoble as long it was done to the best of one's ability.from the executive down to the worker in the mine.

Francisco D'Anconia would return to work in the mines to remind himself of that. Roark, to the quarry.

John Galt took pleasures in the simple expertise of flipping hamburgers for a living after withdrawing his mind from the bloodsuckers.

It was pulling one's weight, being productive that was her measure of a man's worth, not the nature of his work.

Not to say that I think her philosophy is perfect...like I said, the idealist is often confounded by friction with reality.

What do you think of her philosophy on love?

Muz

Ayn Rand thought that the working person (tradesperson, for example) was infinitely replaceable - that the creative spark was the only thing that mattered.

What a load of crap.

She convinced her husband and best friend that she (Ayn) and her best friend's husband ought to be able to have sex with each other - even if it hurt the feelings of her spouse and best friend.

What a bully.

Her books are ok reading, but her philosophy sucks ass.

Pangloss

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Same as the Muzuki :
Score:
Quite Good. Starting from the year zero, you might be able to advance civilization to the 17th or even 19th century. You are technologically useful.

Wrong Answers 3
Right Answers 7

I do have another 17th century civilization on the go elsewhere. But I'm glad to pitch in should we reduce this one to the stone age, no worries.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Pangloss

I agree with your criticism of the "philosophy" but I disagree with your synopsis of the rationale behind "Atlas Shrugged"

My take on it is that if the "free-enterprise system" was conducted by people without ego, everything would be just swell. If a manufacturer (Fancisco D'Anconia) cultivates the skills and stimulates the appetite for knowlege and understanding, demonstrates that there is honor and skill in undertaking to do anything with pride and foresight.....that one can't get from mere "belief"....etc.

Sorry for the interruption....not meaning to hijack the thread...mea culpa mea culpa....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There's a slight chance I'd advance civilization up to the 10th century..I can't even start a fire without matches.

It takes more than technical know how to advance civilization. Intelligence and a generous personality are at least as important.