Age discrimination

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Should companies be able to discriminate on pricing based on the age of the customer? Doesn't the Canadian Charter of Rights prohibit discrimination based on a number of factors including age?

The senior age group holds a ton of wealth, and it's generally debt free. Why in heck should a 45 year old pay more to see a movie than a 66 year old?

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Should companies be able to discriminate on pricing based on the age of the customer? Doesn't the Canadian Charter of Rights prohibit discrimination based on a number of factors including age?

The senior age group holds a ton of wealth, and it's generally debt free. Why in heck should a 45 year old pay more to see a movie than a 66 year old?

Good question, Kreskin.

Should companies be able to charge different prices for different people?

What if there is a group whose members are chronically poor? Retirees, for example, probably have less disposable income than working folks, most especially true if they are on fixed incomes.

Consider that, and also consider that they have been paying into the system all their lives - maybe they should get a break.

But what about making somebody else pay more? If old folks pay less, than non-old folks, by definition, pay more.

What about women - most surveys show women make less money than men - should there be "lady's pricing"?

Then the men pay more.

Recent immigrants and visible minorities and the disabled also make less - does that mean able-bodied white male citizens should carry the rest of the country?

I think my argument, by the way, is bunk - we've had "seniors prices" all across the economy for decades and it seems to work just fine and have wide public support.

Maybe sometimes we think inequality does not always result in unfairness.

Pangloss

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
For the most part I agree Kreskin, why should anyone pay a different price for the same product or service?

My son can get a haircut for under $20.00. I can't get one for under $40.00, and usually it's more like $60.00. I've also read that in general, men pay a different price for drycleaning shirts than women do for blouses.

With seniors however, I always assumed it was a small way of acknowledging the life time contribution of our elderly population to society. For that reason, I don't mind that segment of the population getting a deal.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Good points. While it's possible that seniors have less disposable income they have plenty more assets that can be converted into income. Most of them pass away with a pile of money in bank accounts while the working stiffs are paying enormous pre-retirement debt and assorted expenses. Seniors aren't disadvantaged as a whole.

My issue isn't about seniors paying less, it's about non-senior adults paying more, discriminated against by one factor (one that's often irrelevant). It doesn't seem fair to me in the slightest.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'm all for senior's discounts. With a bit of luck I'll get the opportunity to enjoy them myself...and if I don't get the opportunity well I'll be dead and won't care.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Kreskin:

If we're talking about seniors with clear title on their homes - then sure, I agree with you. What of the seniors that rent? I rather suspect that most seniors are less well off then the rest of us.

But that's beside the point, sort of. Differential pricing needs to be justifiable and supported by the public - it must be seen as fair by some measure.

This looks like it meets those conditions.

Pangloss

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For the most part I agree Kreskin, why should anyone pay a different price for the same product or service?

My son can get a haircut for under $20.00. I can't get one for under $40.00, and usually it's more like $60.00. I've also read that in general, men pay a different price for drycleaning shirts than women do for blouses.

With seniors however, I always assumed it was a small way of acknowledging the life time contribution of our elderly population to society. For that reason, I don't mind that segment of the population getting a deal.

This is grossly unfair. Your son pays $20 for a haircut and I'm asked for the same even though I have maybe a quarter of the hair he's got. In terms of work done, a barber can cut my hair in a couple minutes and if your son is like my grandson, he has at least four times my volume. I protest....:angryfire::smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm all for giving seniors a cut in price at a barber shop, since the pricing is more appropriate to the service provided. But to go on a ferry or watch a movie, not.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm all for giving seniors a cut in price at a barber shop, since the pricing is more appropriate to the service provided. But to go on a ferry or watch a movie, not.

Then you'll be happy to learn that during the week I get on the ferry for nothing. Unfortunately, free doesn't extend to my car. I feel it is my right because of all that waiting in line over the years...the movies too...:smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Then you'll be happy to learn that during the week I get on the ferry for nothing. Unfortunately, free doesn't extend to my car. I feel it is my right because of all that waiting in line over the years...the movies too...:smile:

For that you should pay $40 for a haircut.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For that you should pay $40 for a haircut.

Hey, in the movie theatre they knock a dollar or two off the admission fee but they still charge almost six bucks for a large popcorn and another three or four for a drink. I took my grandson and two of his friends and the bill was close to seventy dollars. There ain't no justice....:smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Hey, in the movie theatre they knock a dollar or two off the admission fee but they still charge almost six bucks for a large popcorn and another three or four for a drink. I took my grandson and two of his friends and the bill was close to seventy dollars. There ain't no justice....:smile:
A theatre these days is highway robbery.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What about another group - war vets?

I'm just trying to see if it is the principle of the thing or if it's the group.

Pangloss
That might be better because they have often forfeited the opportunity to make money to serve the country.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Often seniors, the disabled and youth have limited funds. There's nothing wrong with giving them a discount.
They usually don't provide discounts to the disabled at the box office. If they're under 65 they pay the freight.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

You forgot to mention the seniors who haven't much of anything at all, actually very poor.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
This is grossly unfair. Your son pays $20 for a haircut and I'm asked for the same even though I have maybe a quarter of the hair he's got. In terms of work done, a barber can cut my hair in a couple minutes and if your son is like my grandson, he has at least four times my volume. I protest....:angryfire::smile:

but look on the bright side Juan, a bottle of shampoo will last you 4 times longer ! :smile::smile:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I feel that seniors should have a discount. It's not like there are a ton of perks that come with old age.;-)