Age discrimination

Zzarchov
That is pretty self defeating logic. An assumption itself is by any means Hubris. It is just as arrogant to assume that when I watch the news it is truth or a semblance to it, and not some magnificent charade. But its a reasonable assumption that is in fact just a cable news show, so I stick with it.

When one posts that there are far more poor elderly than poor young, despite statistics to the exact contrary, because they see many poor elderly then I do not consider it an unfair assumption that they must therefore ignore the poor young.

triedit
Zzar--how old are you?

daisygirl
When I was teaching, I usually taught in lower income areas. I, therefore, spent a large amount of money buying books as presents for the kids as well as pencil cases, fancy pencils, etc. I also made a big deal out of birthdays and special holidays.

I would also take some kids with problems out to dinner so that we could talk and each summer, I would make several trips to African Lion Safari with a car load of kids so that they could see the shows there, go on the air-conditioned bus to tour the grounds and see all the animals up close, get lunch and get a souvenir with which to remember their trip, all at my expense. No one asked me to do this but I knew that most of these kids would probably miss out on some of these things if I didn't help a bit.

I'm 56 now and on Disability due to severe injuries in 1991 and a brain aneurysm discovered in 2002. I was off work for 3 years due to the injuries in 1991 and the doctors didn't think I would ever be able to teach again but I proved them wrong. The aneurysm was too much though, so I "retired" with just over a year to go in 2002.

So, should I just give up and say I'm worthless because I'm old. Screw you, babes. I've worked harder in my life than you ever will and when I am a senior, any discount I receive, I will deserve. For years I worked 20 hour days, because I was a workaholic and I was always trying to find ways of reaching students who had learning problems. I took course after course, after school and in the summer...never content to settle for just being satisfactory. And I gave my kids all that I had to give. It has been extraordinarily hard for me to give up that life.

Someday, hopefully, when you are older, you will realize the foolishness of how you are speaking. I spoke that way once myself...then I grew up.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by daisygirlView Post

When I was teaching, I usually taught in lower income areas. I, therefore, spent a large amount of money buying books as presents for the kids as well as pencil cases, fancy pencils, etc. I also made a big deal out of birthdays and special holidays.
I would also take some kids with problems out to dinner so that we could talk and each summer, I would make several trips to African Lion Safari with a car load of kids so that they could see the shows there, go on the air-conditioned bus to tour the grounds and see all the animals up close, get lunch and get a souvenir with which to remember their trip, all at my expense. No one asked me to do this but I knew that most of these kids would probably miss out on some of these things if I didn't help a bit.
I'm 56 now and on Disability due to severe injuries in 1991 and a brain aneurysm discovered in 2002. I was off work for 3 years due to the injuries in 1991 and the doctors didn't think I would ever be able to teach again but I proved them wrong. The aneurysm was too much though, so I "retired" with just over a year to go in 2002.
So, should I just give up and say I'm worthless because I'm old. Screw you, babes. I've worked harder in my life than you ever will and when I am a senior, any discount I receive, I will deserve. For years I worked 20 hour days, because I was a workaholic and I was always trying to find ways of reaching students who had learning problems. I took course...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
What about seniors who never worked hard and have lots of money? Do you deserve to pay more now for the same services that they get cheaper? What about immigrants from sweat factories who worked harder than any of us and did so starting at age ten? Should they get their discount at say 55 because they've outworked us and probably put cheap sweaters on our backs for peanuts?
Last edited by Kreskin; Jul 21st, 2007 at 12:39 AM..

daisygirl
The system will never be fair or equal to all...it just can't happen. I think we have to go by the old saying "Respect your elders" and show them that they are in their golden years and we would like to give them something back for that. I have always agreed with that premise. No, it may not be fair to all even then. I, for example, cannot go to a movie theatre since that space is too confining for my legs...I would never be able to sit there for that length of time. Others, even with that discount, would still not be able to afford the movie.

I have never had any kids. Is it fair that I have to pay taxes for the School Board?

Personally, I think the whole pay system is out of whack. When you get sports figures making $130 million a contract and actors getting $32 million a picture, there is really something wrong. When we start boycotting movies and sports until the salaries are more in line, then I will feel better. Is that going to happen? Nope. Do they get free clothes, etc? Yup. So it's not the seniors that you need to target...

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by daisygirlView Post

The system will never be fair or equal to all...it just can't happen. I think we have to go by the old saying "Respect your elders" and show them that they are in their golden years and we would like to give them something back for that. I have always agreed with that premise. No, it may not be fair to all even then. I, for example, cannot go to a movie theatre since that space is too confining for my legs...I would never be able to sit there for that length of time. Others, even with that discount, would still not be able to afford the movie.

I have never had any kids. Is it fair that I have to pay taxes for the School Board?

Personally, I think the whole pay system is out of whack. When you get sports figures making $130 million a contract and actors getting $32 million a picture, there is really something wrong. When we start boycotting movies and sports until the salaries are more in line, then I will feel better. Is that going to happen? Nope. Do they get free clothes, etc? Yup. So it's not the seniors that you need to target...

My issue isn't about seniors paying less. It's about others being discriminated against systematically and openly when our charter says otherwise. There's a difference.

Tonington
Very true Kreskin. If we are to be lackadaisical about one type of discrimination, we should not be surprised when perhaps one form of discrimination hits home.

Conversely to the senior pricing issue which is but a taste of the larger problem, seniors also receive unfair treatment in the workplace, such as mandatory retirement and casual dismissal of job candidates based on age.

Unfair policies by landlords, democratic denial for young teens, does anyone remember those Heritage Canada commercials where the women fought to be recognized as citizens before the law?

No, discrimination in all it's forms is a threat to any nation calling itself democratic. Just because a large demographic of the populace-we'll say in this case 25- 55 year olds- are unaffected by the majority of ageist concerns, does not mean this rights infraction should be viewed in a lesser light.

damngrumpy
Women pay more than men for a hair cut and cloths. The truth is its free enterprise and people who are selling things can charge what they like. The oil companies can charge what they like and do, but exceptions are made when it come to industry and farming.
Hey I'm 61 and if they want to charge me less I'll take it if I want that service or product.
Often as not, business people will charge a certain age group less in order to increase their market share or to expose a particular demographic to their product.
Movies are a prime example, the last theatre moving I went to see, was Moores 911, since then I have not seen any promo's that interest me. I rarely watch movies on television either for the same reason. I don't go to live concerts anymore as I don't feel the entertainment value is there and the old acts, coming back, well hell I've seen almost all of that when they were around the first time,
As far as I am concerned the market should charge whatever to whoever they want and if people don't like it they don't have to make a purchase.
Invoking the charter of rights and freedoms into consumer pricing is just silly and would never see the halls of the high court.

Pangloss
Ok, first understand I don't necessarily disagree with Kreskin or any of the "equal pricing for everyone" camp. Just some observations:

We discriminate all the time, and it's a good thing we do. The younger a person is, the fewer the rights they have. With some exceptions, you cannot work at all before a certain age, you cannot be left alone, you cannot drive a car, vote, have sex, sign a contract, not go to school, purchase firearms or explosives or alcohol.

You cannot be a member of the Senate before you're 25, among other qualifications.

Not too many people seem to be in too much of a twist about these things.

But these are all age-based discriminations, aren't they?

Pangloss

#juan
Quote:

You cannot be a member of the Senate before you're 25, among other qualifications.

The main other qualification is that the body has to be warm and known to have twitched in the last three years....

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

What about seniors who never worked hard and have lots of money? Do you deserve to pay more now for the same services that they get cheaper? What about immigrants from sweat factories who worked harder than any of us and did so starting at age ten? Should they get their discount at say 55 because they've outworked us and probably put cheap sweaters on our backs for peanuts?

As a senior at 68 years of age, I would like to express the following thoughtful argument to those who disapprove of senior's benefits:

Nyah, Nyah, Nyah, and Nyah

Zzarchov
We'll see who's laughing when it comes time to pick a nursing home to put you in.

Edit: On second thought, thats a low blow. I've been into the back of waay too many nursing homes and thats not a fate I'd wish even jokingly. I apologize.

#juan

Zan

Pangloss
Too much flame, too little fun.

Back on topic - should I get a discount when Lynn, my older-than-limestone neighbour (whose walk I shovel - quite happily) get in front of me in the grocery store check out and she gets into another of her 30 minute conversations with the checkout clerk?

I love the woman, but sweet baby jesus! I'm too young to be running out the clock like that!

Pangloss

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by PanglossView Post

Too much flame, too little fun.

Back on topic - should I get a discount when Lynn, my older-than-limestone neighbour (whose walk I shovel - quite happily) get in front of me in the grocery store check out and she gets into another of her 30 minute conversations with the checkout clerk?

I love the woman, but sweet baby jesus! I'm too young to be running out the clock like that!

Pangloss

Did you know that Lynn will drive 40 kilometers in her 1981 Lincoln just to save 4 cents a pound on tomatoes?

Dreadful Nonsense
You know i see the legal point Kreskin is making.
But the spirit of the charter is being challenged here as well.

what about the law is an a s s and all that rot

MikeyDB
Some may suggest: "You only think discrimination is "wrong" if it's directed at you."

If through some study, argument, test, a child of 10 who's physically proportioned for the task of operating the switches, levers, pedals and gizzies necessary to operate an automobile, isn't that sufficient? Isn't the fact that this child qualifies through his/her size to be considered capable of operating a motor vehicle? Or is this single criterion but one of many that qualify a candidate for testing that could lead to driver licensing?

And it's not sufficient in and of itself because it is but a subset of the greater set of skills and abilities that contribute to judging the prudence of granting the driving privilege. Potential candidates for licensing are required to demonstrate many other skills as well... The capabilities of this individual with respect to their manual dexterity, their hand eye and over-all physical co-ordination, vison exam, a familiarity with and cognitive ability to internalize abstract concepts for example. And there exists a plethora of analysis from many different fields and separate disciplines within those many fields that argue that a ten year old simply hasn't lived long enough to be expected to consistenty intuit synthesize and understand critical information in the paragidm of dynamic incessant modifications to conditions...that operating a motor vehicle is.

It's reasonable to apply these standards to the qualification process of eager young drivers because to permit them the control of a vehicle in busy traffic , failing weather conditions and spontaneous mechanical failure....without satisfying these qualifications they are more likely to result in their and potentially other peoples catastrophic outcome.

Moving on...

Elderly folk who choose to continue to drive their vehicles, sharing the roadway with many many others, have a responsibility to acknowledge to themselves that their safe operation of a motor vehicle relys on a broad spectrum of conditions and abilities. It is prudent for society and for the individual to require driving proficiency tests when age injury or disease reduces anyones competency.

Stands to reason.

The "moral" injustice suffered by the young the middle aged and every demographic you'd care to name, is everyones responsibility and if the few dollars less that a senior needs to purchase a movie ticket or a bus ticket or whatever the circumstances might be....if that's as a notion at the top of the pile of injustices and unfairness foisted on you by the world.....trust me, you're not doing too badly.

Whine if it makes you feel better...that's what children do.

Pangloss
Hey Mickey -

Deep thought are great, but keep the tone light, willya? This is one of the happy threads. . .

Pangloss

Pangloss
Y'know. . .

". . .you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind!"

Toni Basil, wasn't it?

Pangloss