Age discrimination


Curiosity
#31
We argue this discrimination all the time in my group of 'consumers'....

I think special consideration for seniors be given on items of necessity - but items of choice in lifestyle should be at the discretion of the seller or provider as some seniors can afford the perks and some cannot.

We promote Senior's Days during the month (usually low customer days) where seniors get a discount on items for sale or restaurants or theaters. They enjoy their perks at reduced rates on those days or if they 'choose' can pay full price on other days. There is less general discrimination.

I don't know about movie theaters giving reduced rates - probably do - but many seniors centers use their large screens and rent movies for free viewing.... and knowing seniors they probably have lots of eats as well....

I don't know whether hair cutting is the same for all age groups or not.... interesting thoughts about that...

During August - prior to the new school year starting there are many offers for low income families for clothing sharing and reduced school supplies costs. These take on the idea of a huge party rather than a 'giving to the poor' theme.... the kids have a great time and nobody seems to mind getting a bargain - because used clothing stores operate year round here and there seems to be little stigma attached... but most kids have an upbeat attitude about this anyway!

The taxes are very low for seniors but medical necessity is an additional burden. I guess I am not for across the board group discounts because there are too many loopholes.
Last edited by Curiosity; Jul 20th, 2007 at 07:20 AM..
 
MikeyDB
#32
If you don't like the policy of "senior's discount" let the management know. Stores and businesses aren't compelled under law to give discounts to seniors, and you are free to not patronize businesses that apply this policy. Bus and transportation services that grant seniors fares are pehaps doing it because the senior has spent a great deal more money over the say 65-70 years than a younger person and since the demand placed on a bus or train to carry a senior of oh say 130 lbs is just about the same as anyone aged any other number of years who weighs the same. Over that 65-70 years when junior needed a hockey outfit to play hockey and miss junior needed a hockey outfit or a prom dress, the parent/adult, who paid for it didn't pay a reduced price he/she paid the price that that outfit or equipment cost everyone.

Even though the parent doesn't "use" the toys and the costs of meeting the needs of their children over roughly twenty years, it seems entirely appropriate that seniors not be given any kind of special treatment when it comes to their personal needs...absolutely right.

If your barbershop continues this discriminatory practice, let the manager know that you think it grossly unfair and discrimination that an elderly person with just as much hair as you to cut pays less for having their hair cut.

Insurance companies frequently offer discounted rates to seniors for their auto insurance and if your company employs this policy, feel free to find an insurance company that charges everyone the same rate.

Seniors have spent far too much time and money in serving their community and paying over their lifetimes for many things that they personally never used, and that's simply the price of living in a community ordered by the social organizing principles of the times. Retired military shouldn't be given any discounts or special treatment either. They volunteered for the military so why should they even entertain the idea that once they retire that they're entitled to any special benefits?

While the earning potential of the elderly is greatly reduced, and the younger person can reasonably expect to maintain their income for many years, the elderly are sitting on enormous wealth accumulated over the years and should be required to liquidate those assets and pay their fair share.

Let's expose the enormous amounts of money the taxpayer pays to keep hospitals open and services available to the elderly. The elderly are a burden on society and brittle bones and failing heart lungs and eyes are no excuse to give these pikers a free ride.

Consider the amount of light (electricity use) that the senior needs...far in excess of a younger set of eyes. Think about the entertainment uses the senior demands from everyone.... That loud music blaring overhead for decades while every light in the house is burning.... Thin about the power consumed by the elderly keeping their milk cold, why do old farts need cold milk????

It's time we put these scabs, these parasites on notice.

Then we can turn our attention to fat people, and bald people and everyone knows that females fill landfill sites with menstruation pads while men have to keep cleaning up after them....

If we did'nt have to pay for shipping those feminine hygene products, all that make-up and do-dads that women demand for their entire lives....the costs of other products and the amount of waste would be radically reduced....

It's a crippling burden for the younger people to have to bear, knowing that that funny old woman and the funnly old man paid less for their bus fare than the kid with the boom-box and the young mother with her stroller and two kids in tow....

I don't know why when old folk reach the age of ...oh say 70 that their simply not taken to a disposal site where the burden of their existence can be finally dealt with!

Down with old-age and down with special treatment!

Finally the bubble has been burst!
 
Zzarchov
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

You forgot to mention the seniors who haven't much of anything at all, actually very poor.

And how is that different than the young who haven't much of anything at all, actually being very poor?


Yes there are rich seniors and poor seniors, but so too does that hold true for the younger generation, who unfortunatly is being forced to shoulder the burden of the baby boomers (the so called "worst generation", childred of the aptly named "greatest generation"). A group which had more than ample opportunities to amass wealth and many many did (though they also amassed silly amounts of debt).

Seniors still are able to hold onto that cushy job until the day they die, doing little work (they have a 20 something assistant to do all his work for 1/4 his pay and no chance to rise in the ranks since the rules were changed and mandatory retirement scrapped).

So seniors have no special needs the rest of the population doesn't have. Yes some are poor, but I don't see poor people of other age groups getting a break.

Same service, same price.
 
jjaycee98
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

For the most part I agree Kreskin, why should anyone pay a different price for the same product or service?

My son can get a haircut for under $20.00. I can't get one for under $40.00, and usually it's more like $60.00. I've also read that in general, men pay a different price for drycleaning shirts than women do for blouses.

With seniors however, I always assumed it was a small way of acknowledging the life time contribution of our elderly population to society. For that reason, I don't mind that segment of the population getting a deal.

Your haircut price has nothing to do with saving money or being overcharged. Go to "Great Clips" or "Hair Cutters" and others and you can still get a haircut for LESS than $20. The $40 or $60 haircut is your choice! And if you can afford a %60 Haircut then why are you belly aching about a buck difference in a Movie ticket.
 
MikeyDB
#35
You go Jaycee...

Maybe we can get people all fired up about student fare passes on busses and all the places where a student card gets you a break....

Yeah let's manufacture another huge dilemna in the thinking of all these wonderful folk who see the middle class disappearing as outcome of too many breaks to too many people....

It has to be someone....anyone else's fault why life is so unfair...we simply have to take the time to open another can of disgust and hatred based on whatever we can find to whine and bitch about...

Hey...how about....the servicemen in Iraq and Afghanistan wouldn't have to fight to protect us from terrorism if we simply dropped old folk all over the place over there and after decomp has set in, the bacteria and poisons generated would take care of all our problems...

We could sell "Popeiels Amazing chute-less parchutes" to old folk as long as we kept the printing fine and put a nice picture of a puppy or a flower on the package....
 
Walter
#36
Private companies should be allowed to charge whatever they like to whomever they like for their goods and services and not be subjected to some bureaucrat's notion of equality. Let the market decide what the price should be.
 
Kreskin
#37
Is it ok for all identifiable groups to be discriminated against based on age, nationality, gender etc?

When the US came out with social security at age 65 the average life expectancy was than 65. Today it's in the range of 80, and the 65+ group can on average afford a movie easier than a 22-year old.

New Movie Pricing:

Adult - 10.00
Child - 6.00
Senior - 7.50
Native - 8.25
Iraqi - 3.65

Women 10% off!
 
Zzarchov
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Private companies should be allowed to charge whatever they like to whomever they like for their goods and services and not be subjected to some bureaucrat's notion of equality. Let the market decide what the price should be.


So, it was ok to have "White only" restaurants if they were private?
 
Walter
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

So, it was ok to have "White only" restaurants if they were private?

The thread is about age discrimination regarding prices, not race discrimination.
 
Zzarchov
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

The thread is about age discrimination regarding prices, not race discrimination.

So some discrimination is ok, but not others. Where do you draw the line and who draws it? What about Gender discrimination? Religious? Orientation? Height? Weight?
 
#juan
#41
A few things about seniors:

Seniors probably don't throw yell and things at each another in the movie theatre.

Seniors likely don't stick their damn gum on the underside of their seats.

Seniors don't pour their drinks on the floor

Seniors don't carve their initials on the furniture

Seniors walk into the theatre on time, and sit down and watch the movie.......they don't make three or four trips to the consession counter/bathroom/etc, forcing everyone to let them by five times during the movie.

Theatre owners, restaurant owners, bus companies, all benefit from the patronage of seniors. Any discounts are well justified.
 
Zzarchov
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

A few things about seniors:

Seniors probably don't throw yell and things at each another in the movie theatre.

Yes they do, they talk REALLY FRICKING LOUD cause their hearing aides need turned out. I always move away from seniors who sit near me, they always "loud whisper" their thoughts on the movie. No biggy, everyone whispers and inside joke to their friends, but this is REALLY loud.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Seniors likely don't stick their damn gum on the underside of their seats.

Yes they do, about as much as anyone else. Laziness is not a criteria of youth.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Seniors don't pour their drinks on the floor

No, but they spill them far more often. Few intentionally pour drinks out. One of the problems of lowered dexterity and age (as well as many diseases, which while sad, still make a mess)

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Seniors don't carve their initials on the furniture

Got me there, but most people don't period. I've never seen a 30 year old do that, nor a 45.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Seniors walk into the theatre on time, and sit down and watch the movie.......they don't make three or four trips to the consession counter/bathroom/etc, forcing everyone to let them by five times during the movie.

Absolute baloney, Seniors CONSTANTLY walk back and forth to the washroom, don't get me wrong, im glad they do rather than the alternative, but age often equals weaker bladders.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Theatre owners, restaurant owners, bus companies, all benefit from the patronage of seniors. Any discounts are well justified.

Bus companies are publically funded for starters, and are used far more by the young, as for the rest, it may be good business, but so would gender discounts, and so would cultural discounts in some areas. Doesn't mean its ok.
 
Twila
#43
Show respect to seniors. Giving discounts is a great way of showing just how much we appreciate what they've done.
 
#juan
#44
Zzarchov

My post above, like the topic, was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek. I know you just have to "win" an argument at all costs but try to restrain yourself . It's not a contest.
 
Dreadful Nonsense
#45
There are a vast amount of very poor seniors.Even if the stats say other wise. Can't understand the chart but I see poor seniors everywhere.
Some are suffering due to it.
In a lot of cases it's just hard luck.

On the other hand.
Do you think someone with assests of 2 million dollars should still get Canada pension?
 
Twila
#46
Quote:

Do you think someone with assests of 2 million dollars should still get Canada pension?

If you buy RRSP's and have 2 million dollars should you be allowed to cash them in? CPP is paid for by the employee and the employer. It's not a freeby from the gov't
 
Dreadful Nonsense
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

If you buy RRSP's and have 2 million dollars should you be allowed to cash them in? CPP is paid for by the employee and the employer. It's not a freeby from the gov't

It depends on how much income you make. If you are at the poverty line it gets paid for you.Everyone gets CPP, although if you are really low income you get only the basic.
Maybe i'm thinking about some other thing....me mum gets two deals and is subsidised...
 
#juan
#48
Would we call this "age discrimination"

http://tinyurl.com/2e3nb5
 
Zzarchov
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Zzarchov

My post above, like the topic, was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek. I know you just have to "win" an argument at all costs but try to restrain yourself . It's not a contest.

Age discrimination is a big problem, "Tongue in cheek" is not a good idea for sensitive subjects. If you must be tongue in cheek, self depreciation goes alot smoother.



I also see no reason to grant some magic respect for seniors based on living long. The latest batch of approaching seniors (boomers) if anything should be scolded for the derailment of everything the generation before them set in motion (often the things we most brag about).

We went from moon landings and the invention of the internet in the pre-boomer days, to a big lull where all we do is focus on creature comforts, luxury items, asset stripping rather than wealth creation, massive amounts of debt, and more research into age defying and other cosmetic treatments than to whiping out major diseases.

So what is there to be grateful for? Working all those years? Big deal, everyone before you had to do that and everyone after you will have to work far harder to pay for your mistakes. If you really feel bad, feel free to retire, those of us who lack the opportunities to advance you had (as you create bottleneck by not retiring) would absolutely love it.

I don't doubt there are many poor seniors, but there are many more poor young people, you see them all the time too, you just ignore them.
 
Pangloss
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Show respect to seniors. Giving discounts is a great way of showing just how much we appreciate what they've done.

Twila:

I had a couple of really lousy and mean grade school teachers - can I make sure they pay double for everything?

Pangloss
 
Pangloss
#51
Zzarchov:

I pretty much agree with the logic of your last post, but who are you to say who anyone ignores? That's pretty arrogant of you, Zzarch.

I see plenty of homeless, and they seem to be mostly 45+ years old. I could be wrong. Calgary could also have different homeless demographics.

But really - seniors discounts? Who, exactly, does it hurt? Who is compelled to offer it?

Much ado about nothing, I'd say.

Pangloss
 
Zzarchov
#52
Ignoring the poor is far from an arrogant thought, especially the poor young.

But, If 10 people can honestly PM me the name of the person who served them coffee today (they wear name tags and talk directly to you) I will post an apology. I realise they aren't guaranteed to be a poor person, many are going through college, many more I know who work there are just stuck there because its the best job available, even if they have higher education.

So if you can name the person who gave you your burger, or your coffee or sub today, let me know. Be honest though.
 
Twila
#53
Quote:

Twila:

I had a couple of really lousy and mean grade school teachers - can I make sure they pay double for everything?

Pangloss

ah, revenge is a dish best served cold......
 
Pangloss
#54
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

Ignoring the poor is far from an arrogant thought, especially the poor young.

But, If 10 people can honestly PM me the name of the person who served them coffee today (they wear name tags and talk directly to you) I will post an apology. I realise they aren't guaranteed to be a poor person, many are going through college, many more I know who work there are just stuck there because its the best job available, even if they have higher education.

So if you can name the person who gave you your burger, or your coffee or sub today, let me know. Be honest though.

Zzarchov -

That isn't what you wrote: you accused someone else of ignoring the young poor.

"I don't doubt there are many poor seniors, but there are many more poor young people, you see them all the time too, you just ignore them."

That was the arrogant thing - to assume you know what someone else is thinking.

Second - I only got out twice today, once to get my eyes examined - Jerry*, receptionist, and Derek, eye doc, and then to my local store for laundry detergent - Corrina, who lives two blocks from me, was my clerk.

Doesn't matter though - retail experiences are designed to be fast and impersonal, to maximize profits, so we are disencouraged to learn our server's names. Plus - it is the height of trivia to remember personal details of someone I met for less than a minute and will never see again.

So, your point is woefully off-topic.

Pangloss

* Her daughter broke her back recently. I lent her all my books on tape I use when touring as a roadie. How's that for ignoring the people I deal with?

-p
 
Zzarchov
#55
No its not, I addressed that. I don't think its an arrogant thought to assume most others ignore the young poor they see every day.

I put out a specific challenge you quoted and even responded to you. Your quite off your game today.
 
MikeyDB
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

Ignoring the poor is far from an arrogant thought, especially the poor young.

But, If 10 people can honestly PM me the name of the person who served them coffee today (they wear name tags and talk directly to you) I will post an apology. I realise they aren't guaranteed to be a poor person, many are going through college, many more I know who work there are just stuck there because its the best job available, even if they have higher education.

So if you can name the person who gave you your burger, or your coffee or sub today, let me know. Be honest though.

I can't afford to go to Tim Hortons or any restaurant for that matter. For the disabled elderly that I'm a contibutor to as a demographic....I'd be willing to bet that the chances of an elderly person taking the time to read that name tag would be greater. The last time I was in Harvey's...when a friend bought me an order of fries, I read the name tags of everyone I met who was serving me or taking my money or doing anything behind the counter. I speak to them using their name....as in "No Joel no pickles or onions thanks..."

The elderly bashers who think is so grossly unfair that a senior gets a 2.50 break at the movie theater can kiss my ***. When talkies were first shown in theaters, it was a nickel to get into see a movie. When color was projected on the screen, it cost far less to go to a movie than it does now.

Partly that's because Arnold Shwartzennegger his governorship from California needed to make an income comparable to the Queen of Catsup who he married....

Partly because the sophistication of the average movie goer today isn't satisfied with "plot" and "dialogue" there has to be fifty people killed violently in the first fifteen minutes...to hold their attention...

It takes all the magic of computer aided graphics and "surround sound"....plenty of gratuitious violence and tons of sex and rock and roll to make a movie that the limp minded movie goer of today can summon the patience to sit through....

If you want to blame somone....which seems the pulse of these kinds of bitching and whining...look at the world that's been created by the hunger for fame and wealth that drives the movie industry and everything else for that matter.

"Boomers" are to blame just as every previous generation is to blame for the shortfall in ethics morals and the day to day flim-flam of postmodernity.

Blaming the elderly is really really easy...... continue I find it soooooooo entertaining.
 
Walter
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Partly that's because Arnold Shwartzennegger his governorship from California needed to make an income comparable to the Queen of Catsup who he married....

Schwartznegger actually married into the Kennedy clan. It's John Kerry who married the Queen of Catsup, some broad with the last name of Heinz.
 
MikeyDB
#58
Sorry....thanks for the heads up Walt....
 
DurkaDurka
#59
I don't see the problem with giving the elderly a break, they have done their share, let them enjoy free coffees and discounted bus rided in their golden years... As long as they know we will use them as fuel for the matrix at any given moment.
 
Pangloss
#60
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

No its not, I addressed that. I don't think its an arrogant thought to assume most others ignore the young poor they see every day.

I put out a specific challenge you quoted and even responded to you. Your quite off your game today.

Not so, Zzarchov - the arrogance is presuming to know the mind of another. My game is razor sharp, me bucko. The assumption itself was the arrogance.

Pangloss
 

Similar Threads

1
the 'discrimination' chip
by givpeaceachance | Nov 25th, 2008
2
Discrimination in Canada
by Walter | Apr 10th, 2008
34
Age Discrimination?
by AirIntake | Jul 14th, 2005
no new posts