fibromyalgia

missile
Doc; the one who ripped into you was definitely out of line! Sorry about your troubles

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by JoeSchmoeView Post

I forgot who DocDred was when I posted to this thread.... if I remembered that he was DITL the Troll I wouldn't have bothered replying. I doubt he has a wife.... but I suppose his imaginary wife could have fibromyalgia.

Whaa???... A troll fixes fibro? Here I thought they only ate billy goats and attacked threads.... hehe

Have but four points found, but the rheumo darned near blasted me through a wall while she was discovering them. Can't take anti inflamatories because they don't er on with heart meds ... so I walk it off as I can. Ouch....

Wolf

darkbeaver
Cannibis Sativa, liberal applications for pain. Stay away from the big pharma stuff, you can't survive that crap.The pain relief and antiinflamatory qualitys are strain specific, find your strain and keep it with you.

Impetus
Isn't an Indica strain better for pain relief?
I find it does wonders for the neurological pain.
Last trip to the Compassion Club I picked up some of each (AAA and White Rhino) just to compare.
The White Rhino is an indica and I can just feel it go out and settle down the tingles and pinpricks in my legs and feet. The Sativa (AAA) seems to go right to the head and makes me want to eat.

Some of the members with fibro use Indica.

Muz

Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Cannibis Sativa, liberal applications for pain. Stay away from the big pharma stuff, you can't survive that crap.The pain relief and antiinflamatory qualitys are strain specific, find your strain and keep it with you.

Cosmo
Unfortunately I can't do the pot thing. I hate the feeling ... just end up cowering under the covers in a fit of paranoia. Shell is a member of the Compassion Society, though, and she found the "Herer" strain the best. Controls the pain but doesn't knock her on her butt.

I just stick to the narcotics. Ho hum.

Dreadful Nonsense
I actually suggested to sandy to try pot...thanks muz for the strains and where to get if she ever does wish to give it a try......I wish she would try it...anything at this point of the game to see her live a better quality of life...pain all over the place, her mind is effected by it...she is not fast on the uptake anymore, which to be honest used to cause me angst and i would snap at her..thats the only thing that really bugs me....she has changed as a person, she used to be so quick and alert and on top of everything before me..doc explained it to me......it is hard man....if you only really knew...I have learned a lot ..I love her and will always be there totally for her though....

Her problem stems from sleep disorders....she does not enter deep sleep....i think i posted it about her only once entering it and getting frightened....too wierd....on a side note....She has never been to any doctor since i have known her that has not asked her if she was abused sexually as a child.....she says no..is sure she hasn't....but it is wierd they ALL ask this of her.....

thanks for all the kind concern and comments everyone.....

Unforgiven
I am starting to worry that people are going to get the wrong idea about pot's abilities.

Quote: Originally Posted by ImpetusView Post

Isn't an Indica strain better for pain relief?
I find it does wonders for the neurological pain.
Last trip to the Compassion Club I picked up some of each (AAA and White Rhino) just to compare.
The White Rhino is an indica and I can just feel it go out and settle down the tingles and pinpricks in my legs and feet. The Sativa (AAA) seems to go right to the head and makes me want to eat.

Some of the members with fibro use Indica.

Muz

Cosmo
Interestingly enough, DocDred, people who have these chronic illnesses are way more likely to have been abused. I'll try to dig around for some links on it later.

heh heh ... thought you were talking about me at first since my real name is Sandy too. If she can handle it, pot really is a miracle worker for fibro.

Hats off to you for learning about the disorder. It is tough.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmoView Post

Interestingly enough, DocDred, people who have these chronic illnesses are way more likely to have been abused. I'll try to dig around for some links on it later.

heh heh ... thought you were talking about me at first since my real name is Sandy too. If she can handle it, pot really is a miracle worker for fibro.

Hats off to you for learning about the disorder. It is tough.

ha! another Sandy ...and i liked you right off....go figure!

Real name, real life, cyber life...you sound like me too!!!

hey i never said hi.
Hello, how do you do?( said in my best My Fair Lady voice, i cross dress online ya know!)

Impetus
How so? The info is all out there...
Muz

Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

I am starting to worry that people are going to get the wrong idea about pot's abilities.

lone wolf
People got the wrong idea about pot's "abilities" from propaganda like "Reefer madness". It's time they let us in on the truth....

Wolf

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpetusView Post

How so? The info is all out there...
Muz

Info isn't what it used to be.
A little bit of knowledge in the wrong hands can be a dangerous thing.
There is a tendency for those crusaders on the road to glory to usurp one thing for another use. Often corrupt.

And it's not about what is the truth, it's about what people believe.
Sometimes the truth just doesn't matter.

Vereya
Quote: Originally Posted by trieditView Post

Throughout the day I take a maximum of 3 additional endocet. Added to that the car wreck at the end of May which brings twice a week physio which includes accupuncture, stretches, deep massage, chiropractic adjustment, and ultrasound. Which we have to be careful with because I have two steel rods in my back from scoliosis surgeries in the 1970's.

Triedit, I have had the same kind of surgery, fifteen years ago, so we are in the same boat with you here. It's allright most of the time, but sometimes my back is just killing me. Strangely enough, I get especially intense and strong pain when I am nervous about something or upset. Seems to me, that every ailment has got something to do with the nerves. I wonder if it's the same way with you?

triedit
V--I think there's something about having a foreign body implanted that does that. Seriously. We have this metal that's not really supposed to be there. Who knows what chemical reactions (causing neurotransmitters to fire) those bad boys are causing. Have you considered having yours removed?

Vereya

V--I think there's something about having a foreign body implanted that does that. Seriously. We have this metal that's not really supposed to be there. Who knows what chemical reactions (causing neurotransmitters to fire) those bad boys are causing. Have you considered having yours removed?

Actually, I have never really thought about it, but it seems like a scary thing to do. What if the scoliosis will start to progress again, once they are removed? besides, this will be a really difficult surgery, as I understand that there is now some tissue around those rods.

triedit
If you are over 25, you're likely done growing so the curvature coming back is not an issue. But it is risky surgery--any spinal surgery is.

Mods please allow this...here is a forum that deals only with scoliosis in all its phases. I have learned so very much there, perhaps you will too.

www.scoliosis.org/forum/index.php (external - login to view)

Also, consider a chiropractor. I grew up thinking I couldnt go to one because of the rods but I have one now who is awesome. If you are in the GTA pm me and I'll give you his number.

Twila
Is Fibromyalgia a autoimmune condition like Rhumatoid arthirtis?

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Hmmmm might be....

what i know is there are these fibroid things that interface if you will with the nerves and muscles....they get inflamed forever and misery occurs.....it causes mental problems as well...depression,confusion,slower on the take,......
wierd pains all over the abdomen....these leg jumps....weird feelings like elastic bands being pulled in your legs.....the list is endless it seems

triedit
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Probably, although arthritis developes in the joints. This is more random, soft tissue stuff like the middle of your arm or the middle of your cheek. Its genearlly not associated with movement pain, it's more constant although movement can both aggrivate it and help it. It's actually more similar to Lupus without a rash involvement, although many of us are also sensitive to the sun.

Twila
The reason I ask is because there are many types of arthritis. Gout being one that is cured by eating correctly. I've taken some medical courses, one being medical terminology. The word Fibromyalgia means fibre muscle pain. Fibro=fibre, my/o= muscle Algia= pain. And it's all sparked a memory of something I'd learned that I can't quit put my finger on right now.....maybe I'll peruse my text books..

Unforgiven

Probably, although arthritis developes in the joints. This is more random, soft tissue stuff like the middle of your arm or the middle of your cheek. Its genearlly not associated with movement pain, it's more constant although movement can both aggrivate it and help it. It's actually more similar to Lupus without a rash involvement, although many of us are also sensitive to the sun.

So how do you get diagnosed for Fibro? I mean obviously you visit your doctor but are there things to bring up or someone else you should see?

triedit
After the family doc you need to see a rheumatologist to rule out things like Lupus and arthritis. There are some physical tests they can do, but not many. No blood tests that I know of, although there might be an antinuclear antibody test. I get those every year anyway so I don't know if it's part of the diagnosis "machine".

Fibro is usually what they label you when nothing else fits. As Doc mentioned there are 18 points that when pressed cause unreal pain. That's a good indication, even if you don't have all 11 recommended for diagnosis. For me, the diagnosis came when the dna test for lupus came back negative.

You should also have a sleep study if you have chronic pain, snoring, or difficulty sleeping. Many people get relief from all symptoms just from using a CPAP machine while sleeping. That is, until stress or some trauma irritates it again.

The fatigue is frustrating. You get plenty of rest but still feel too exhausted to do anything.

My worst symptom besides pain is the "brain fog". I had just gotten it under control when the car wreck happened and now it's worse than ever. SRI's help, but it's still troublesome. It feels like early onset altzheimers...you forget what you were talking about or forget the name of someone you know well. Just for a few seconds. But it happens ALOT, not like normal people.

Unforgiven
Thanks I'll have a think on that.

Dreadful Nonsense
We went to doctor after doctor....only a rheumatoid arthritis doctor, we have one of the best ,can diagnose fibromyalgia....