sleep paralysis

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Anyone experience this? Got any good stories?

It's happened to me a few times, which is why I NEVER nap during the day. Some liken it to astral travelling and other nonesense, but I think most people experience this at least once in their lives.

For me, it tends to be stress related, which is part of the reason why I had to take a nap!

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen

It's happened to me a few times, which is why I NEVER nap during the day. Some liken it to astral travelling and other nonesense, but I think most people experience this at least once in their lives.

For me, it tends to be stress related, which is part of the reason why I had to take a nap!
what is sleep paralysis....i got that thing where you stop breathing...it's a nightmare and that first breath is painfull.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mastral.html

What you've got sounds like sleep apnea, Doc, quite a different phenomenon, and potentially dangerous.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/SleepApnea/SleepApnea_WhatIs.html

Yeah they want me to go and take a sleep test or something....where you sleep overnight hooked up to wires......
It's like you wake up...and you cannot inhale....terror sets in ...you get the tinniest of breath...then a lil more until it all starts working again....I also get really bad acid reflux where i literaly vomit pure stomache acid into my lungs and breathe that in....this is the worse...

your lungs are all sensitve for days.... after about an hour of wretching up chunks of food from yer lungs and vomit...it takes about 4 hours to actually calm down.....i combat this by not eating anything 4 hours before i go to sleep...and the last thing i eat is a bowl of all bran ceral....Then instead of taking my losec (tum tum meds) in the morning i take it at night....losec acts on the stomache pump that pumps acid....i sometimes without the meds feel this process......

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Wow Said, that must feel freaky. Me, I can't wake up fast enough to ever experience it. Like almost all people with firbomyalgia, I don't get enough Slow Wave sleep, and so I'm always slow and groggy waking up. And if I am sleeping in a state where paralysis occurs, I'm so deprived of it that I'm certainly not going to wake up easily. lol.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Geez, I was hoping for some good stories. I guess I'll post one or two.

Like the link Curiosity posted, youoften get the feeling that someone is there, or you do see someone. One time, I dreamed that my friend came over. He rang the bell, I looked out the up stairs window, felt the cold air, saw him and said "come on up". He came up, had a conversation about what I had done over the week end and he left. I woke up really confused, thinking 'was that in my sleep". It's very real and very vivid.

Another time, I actually left my body and saw myself sleeping. Someone was at the top of the stairs waiting for me and, after a few seconds a voice said 'are you coming'. I said no, it's too cold outside and went back into my body.

Freaky stuff I tells ya.

Keep in mind the above happens after the paralysis. Every time I experience paralysis (I'm used to it now) I try to wake myself up, think I've woken myself up - only to wake up later. :lol: