Superstitions

triedit
Are you superstitious?

Here are some common ones...

You'll 'cut off' fortune if you use scissors on new years day
Coral beads are said to change color indicating whether the wearer is ill or well.I
f you go to the bathroom in the night with no clothes on, insects will fall on you
An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.
If you want to see a friend again, then don't ever say goodbye to them on a bridge.
Never take a broom with you when moving house - buy a new one.
If your ear is burning, then someone is talking about you. To determine whether what they are saying is good or bad, remember this rhyme, - Left for love, Right for spite!
If the palm of your right hand is itchy, then it foretells that money is coming to you, but don’t scratch it as that stops the money from coming! If it’s your left palm that is itchy, then scratch away, as that means that you'll soon be paying out money
How you start the year is how you will end it, so you must ensure that you are wearing new clothes & looking your best, have paid off all your debts & are with your partner (to ensure that you are still with them at the next New year).
Dropping a pair of scissors is said to warn that a lover is unfaithful.
Never place shoes on a table as it means bad luck for the remainder of the day.
A bride must sew a swan’s feather into her husband’s pillow to ensure fidelity.
You must knock on wood 3 times after mentioning good fortune or the evil spirits will ruin things for you.
See a penny, pick it up; all day long you’ll have good luck.
Don’t break a mirror, or you’ll have seven years bad luck.
Don’t wash clothes on New Year’s Day, or somebody in your family will pass away.
Don’t walk under a ladder, or somebody will have an accident;
Don’t hit anyone with a broom, or it will make him or her lazy.If the head of a bed is placed towards the north it foretells a short life, towards the south a long life, the east riches, the west travel.
One's life is prolonged if, in later years, a visit is made to one's place of birth.

Anybody got any more?
Last edited by triedit; Jul 4th, 2007 at 01:56 PM..Reason: formatting

eh1eh
Nope not at all. But if I couldn't see who I was hanging with...

Vereya
If you spill salt, you are sure to quarrel with someone. To avoid that, throw a punch of salt over your left shoulder, and say - salt to salt, pain to pain, and none of this to me.
If you drop a knife, you are going to have a men-visitor. If you drop a fork or a spoon you are going to have a woman-visitor.
Never wash the floors immediately after someone leaves your place - you will wash away that person's foot-steps, and he or she will never come to see you again.
Never leave a knife lying on the table - it will make you bad-tempered.
If you see a woman carrying a heavy bag or a bucket full of water, it means you will have good luck all day.
Don't turn back after you've left your home or some other place - it will ruin your way. If you have to come back to get something, look into the mirror before leaving again.

Well, there's a lot more in my country

Quote:

If you go to the bathroom in the night with no clothes on, insects will fall on you

That doesn't sound much like a superstition to me - it is something very likely to happen