Do You Have Animal Friends?

Twila
I dislike the word Pet. I prefer animal friend or furbies, or four legged pals. Pets leaves me feeling that ownership is what its about. I don't own my animals.

k, jumping off the soap box and on to the topic.

I have 3 cats -
2 formerly feral cats - tabby named Tyris, and a tuxedo named Bana
1 foster cat- Silver tipped persian named Muppet (pronounced Moo pay)
1 Goldfish - who's orange and named Shadow
2 Anole lizards who have no names

And you? Who resides with you that is furry, feathery, or scaley? four leggs, no legs, or 2 legs 2 wings?

DurkaDurka
I have 2 cats, I can't really call them pets as they do whatever the hell they feel like.

triedit
We (me and Ski) have two cats and a dog. Im going to dig around and see if I can find a picture of the dog. He's....interesting. Im sure there will be stories about Fred.

flapperpie
Of course. I went out to dinner with one just last night.

Coddfish
I have a beautiful "Shepherdor", (half German Shepherd, half black Lab), and a cat.

Unforgiven

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvIBLcGFANnVI

We we're thinking of going with something peppy that likes a good drink.

eh1eh
I have a dog. Mostly always had one except for 'the party years' lol. His name is Parrot. As in Parrothead, being a Jimmy Buffett fan that was nessessary. If you know Jimmy Buffett at all or South Florida you will get the Canadian angle of my nic, eh1eh. lol again.

P.S. He's had a hair cut scince this.

Twila
Unforgiven, What a funny funny dog! Terriers are the hams of the dog world...next to Dobermans that is. Nothing sillier really. Is that your dog in the video?

We use to have a staffy/doberman cross...the silliest thing ever! He'd suck on his blanket with a blissful expression on his face. He'd walk really slowly under our droopy tree (it would scratch his back) He'd prance around the house like a libizoner stallion (sp?) He would sing when certain people would come to the house...people he really liked. I miss him immensely

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

I have 2 cats, I can't really call them pets as they do whatever the hell they feel like.

We have a cat at work, work cat. It's mouthy and rips up th TP. Cats are dumb. Its name is Jes, BTW.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Unforgiven, What a funny funny dog! Terriers are the hams of the dog world...next to Dobermans that is. Nothing sillier really. Is that your dog in the video?

We use to have a staffy/doberman cross...the silliest thing ever! He'd suck on his blanket with a blissful expression on his face. He'd walk really slowly under our droopy tree (it would scratch his back) He'd prance around the house like a libizoner stallion (sp?) He would sing when certain people would come to the house...people he really liked. I miss him immensely

Well he's not a Terrier. Not that Terriers are bad, I like them, but he's a Springer Spaniel. It's ok he doesn't mind, he likes Terriers too.

eh1eh

OOps, sorry I meant to add, I had a Dobe/Great Dane. What a nut. 130 lbs of baby. Loved to dive for rocks. Her name was Pilot. Boy could she pile it. lol.

eh1eh
OK now I feel really stupid as you were responding to another post. My apologies all round.

Twila
No need to feel that way. Doby/Great dane...I can only begin to imagine the silliness. What's Parrot like, spanials can have some very interesting character traits. A guy shows up at my work periodically with a dog that looks exactly like yours and she's just the loveliest girl! So friendly and sweet. Loves to be hugged which is a good thing since she looks like she needs a hug. Those big sad brown eyes and all!

eh1eh
Ha. Yes he's just so friendly if you will throw his ball. He can be shy, until the new person throws the ball. It's his obsession.

Twila
Quote:

Cats are dumb

Just going to get up on my soap box here...and let it be known that animals are products of their environments. The stupider the animal the stupider the people around it...k, going to step off the soap box...please don't push....

Twila
Quote:

Ha. Yes he's just so friendly if you will throw his ball. He can be shy, until the new person throws the ball. It's his obsession.

Working breeds usually have an obsession.

#juan
We got Piewacket just about four years ago. Initially, we didn't know if we should get too attatched to her because she has this thing about facing down big dogs. On Gabriola Island our three immediate neighbors had: A Rotweiler, a large black Lab, and a very large German Shepherd cross. None of these dogs were under 90 pounds and Piewacket backed them all out of our yard. She definitely has an attitude.

Twila
She's beautiful, Juan. Tortishells have attitude. They are amazing. Don't know why the gene affects more then just colour but it does....

Our foster Muppet had been declawed and is missing most of her teeth (she's very old) yet she's gotten our 20lbs fully clawed and fully toothed tuxedo on the run. The weirdest thing is that the tuxedo, Bana should have been the one to have Muppet on the run being that Bana came first...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog....

Impetus

Just going to get up on my soap box here...and let it be known that animals are products of their environments. The stupider the animal the stupider the people around it...k, going to step off the soap box...please don't push....

True indeed!

That being said, of course we have the most intelligent and well balanced of animal friends.

One Staffie/Golden Lab cross who loves to play tug-of-war an old wheelbarrow tire and knows better than to bother our large male Black Persian-looking cat who actually runs the place. This cat is a great mouser, almost daily bringing a trophy to the door for approval. We look the other way with this little bit of killing as even the neighbors are commenting there are less mice since we moved in a few years back.

We also have an indoor tabby who as an orphan we bottle-trained. A little bit of a 'fraidy-cat due to her tragic birth circumstances but has begun to assert herself in the household as she matures.

We're down to one guinea pig now that the other died of old age. His cage is like Taj Mahal for one.

Two budgies who we "inherited" years ago from my dad because they were "too noisy". Agreed.
He watched them for us when we were in Cuba and he didn't notice the green one had died and been replaced with a blue one.

Numerous toads and frogs who inhabit our pond and garden, and don't forget the bees living in the attic over my studio.

Yeah, I'd say we have a few friends...

Brat
I hope this works *fingers crossed*
The first pic is of my springer spaniel, Mickey. He just passed away in the beginning of June from bone cancer. He was 3 yrs. old.

The second pic is of our newest addition, Jasmine.

We also have 3 very large goldfish(free to a good home) and 1 toad. His name is Steve. I have to look, I think I may have a picture of him too. I'll post it later.
Attached Images
Mickey.jpg (58.9 KB, 6 views)
Jasmine1.jpg (81.2 KB, 4 views)

Unforgiven

You'd thing it was the dog wouldn't you. All I have seen are like that. Ours is, there are plenty of videos of Bullys that do the same thing. It's that they can get up to full speed inside of about 15 feet. Full speed isn't really all that fast, but it does look impressive for the first couple of seconds.

I've come to think that while there are dogs that show the finest example of grace, dignity and flow of movement, some just have to release thier wiggles.

JBeee
Cock-roaches....well, not as many as when I first moved into this apt. Sealed every nook and cranny with that tub n sink caulking, foamed the base heater exits leading to the next door apts on either side and am trying to keep in place those little screen thingys in all the sinks/tub drains.
But I`ll be damned if the little buggers don`t find a way in....baby ones anyway.
SQUISH!!

Toro

Brat
Toro, your dog is a cutie!

SwitSof

I dislike the word Pet. I prefer animal friend or furbies, or four legged pals. Pets leaves me feeling that ownership is what its about. I don't own my animals.

k, jumping off the soap box and on to the topic.

I have 3 cats -
2 formerly feral cats - tabby named Tyris, and a tuxedo named Bana
1 foster cat- Silver tipped persian named Muppet (pronounced Moo pay)
1 Goldfish - who's orange and named Shadow
2 Anole lizards who have no names

And you? Who resides with you that is furry, feathery, or scaley? four leggs, no legs, or 2 legs 2 wings?

Am very ashamed to admit, none
My family had several goldfish and several small colourful fish that the boys in the neighbourhood at that time liked to have "duel" between the male fish cause from the look of it this fish can be quite nasty it seems.
We would have the female one too to keep him company but he didn't seem to treat her that well, so I especially didn't like this fish, let alone developed a bond towards them.
Not to the goldfish either Well it's difficult for me to have a bond with fish I reckon since they don't react to what I do.

But am rather scared of dogs and cats and other types of animals are just unthinkable since even I'm afraid of the common ones.
Was traumatised when I was little to see my younger sister got scratched by a cat and my brother got bitten by a neighbour's dog.
Both resulted in them bleeding, well not like the blood was pouring like water coming out of the tap, but still the wounds were not small either.

My brother had a long scar that laster for while on his calf, but no marks after the scar healed completely. Can't remember what caused that dog to bite him. It was a small dog actually and not a nasty one as far as I can remember. I don't reckon my brother would do anything to provoke him. Plus my brother came to that neighbour's house several times already since he and the neighbour's daughter are of same age and went to the same school, so he went to borrow some notes sometimes.

I was chased by a wild dog also once and I ran like I was in a sprint competition. Thank goodness he gave up after a while or maybe somebody stopped him, well I didn't look back and by the time I reached the house, the dog was not behind me anymore. But that dog really made me run as if I saw a ghost in the middle of daylight! Again this was when I was small, still in elementary school age.

As for the cat, it was a cat that often came to our front yard. Since it became a habit, my sister who somehow got to be fond of cats actually often fed her and played with her. So far that cat acted quite nicely until one time, I still have no idea why, she just stood on her back legs and scratched my sister's cheek. I then shooshed the cat and well sadly we never welcomed that cat whenever she came to our yard anymore till she stopped coming.
My mum did suspect that probably my sister accidentally touched a spot where the cat was wounded or something like that, so it provoked the cat to do that.

I never like seeing blood even on TV and do know it's fake especially the one that looks obviously fake, but yeah still don't like the idea of the pain related to it either probably.
So looking at the wounds on my brother and my sister caused by a dog and a cat respectively really affected me to act rather cautiously with animals
When I visited a friend in Edmonton, his dog barked quite loudly and to me barking like that doesn't sound like a welcome and it's rather a small dog too. So I was quite distant during my stay in my friend's house. On the contrary, my other friend who did have a dog before, could play with the dog and I must admit I wished I could have, but didn't know how and still don't.
Once I had a thought to have a puppy. I thought if the dog and I get to know each other since it's a puppy, then the bond would be strong and I would learn over time what s/he likes or dislikes and I would know how to act with him/her too. But then I realise I have to be very attentive which I probably can't be at the moment cause of work commitments so I gave up the idea
Do you think you're different if you didn't have your animal friend(s)?

triedit

Booger Snot (Ski's Cat)

Herbie

The INFAMOUS Fred.

triedit
Booger looks and smells like a skunk. I think he's a half breed.
Herbie is the oldest...probably born spring 1996 and starting to show his age.
Fred likes to french kiss, lick butts, and pee on strangers.

Curiosity
Tried

I have an uncle just like your Fred hehe

triedit
Quote: Originally Posted by CuriosityView Post

Tried

I have an uncle just like your Fred hehe

*laugh* I probably dated him!

JBeee
"Fred likes to french kiss, lick butts, and pee on strangers.".....now thats just di-di-di-disgusting!!