Favorite on-line radio?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Mine would have to be Radioio....ambient genre mostly but their 70`s line up of tunes are excellent also.
Non-members can enjoy a full two hours of uninterupted..well station id for a few seconds..but for the most part a steady stream of, IMO, the best of the best of any particular genre offered.
And hey, you can surf while listening without being forced to lose the connection!!
Once the two hours have expired you simply tune in again for another two hour set.

Their jazz section rocks as well!!:smile:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well I don't normally listen to the radio except when I wake up in the morning (to Rundfunk Berlin Brandenburg).. but every now and then when I want to hear something laid back and relaxing I tune into CHFI 98.1 online.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Well I don't normally listen to the radio except when I wake up in the morning (to Rundfunk Berlin Brandenburg).. but every now and then when I want to hear something laid back and relaxing I tune into CHFI 98.1 online.

I hear ya. Their `lovers and other strangers` programe at 9 pm week nights is a one of a kind experience also.
The guy spinning the tunes and doing the talking/quoting between sets is awesome.
(I think he has a thing for Celine Dion, no?);-)

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I'm gonna get beat up on this one but. . .

Internet and satellite radio stations are killing local radio, diminishing local communities and evaporating local content.

Please call me a Luddite in the real sense of the word when it comes to radio. Local radio employs locals, advertises for locals, plays local bands, and talks about local issues. Internet and satellite do almost none of this - because they have global coverage, they have to have global appeal.

I think it is inevitable that local radio will die, the economics no longer work (or soon won't), and I will truly lament that day.

We are, as Neil Postman said "Amusing Ourselves To Death" (Penguin Books, 1985, ISBN 0-14-303653-X).

Pangloss

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Internet and satellite radio stations are killing local radio, diminishing local communities and evaporating local content.

Please call me a Luddite in the real sense of the word when it comes to radio. Local radio employs locals, advertises for locals, plays local bands, and talks about local issues. Internet and satellite do almost none of this - because they have global coverage, they have to have global appeal.

I think it is inevitable that local radio will die, the economics no longer work (or soon won't), and I will truly lament that day.

We are, as Neil Postman said "Amusing Ourselves To Death" (Penguin Books, 1985, ISBN 0-14-303653-X).

Pangloss

If that were true .... sattellite radio and internet radio would be out of business.

They days of truly local radio stations are dead. All major AM/FM stations in the US and Canada are owned by big mega broadcasters. ClearChannel in the states owns about 1/2 of all FCC liscencended station now. In Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal I would bet that there may be 4 corproations owning all the stations in each of those markets.

They program each of their stations tightly. You hear the same 200 songs over and over for a week or 2 and then you hear a different 200. Of course, the hour is filled to the maximum with commercials. When was the last time you heard a commercial break on an FM station that lasted less than 5 minutes?

The only local radio station I listen to occassionally is 680 News (owned and operated by Rogers Communication Inc.) to get a local traffic report. Everything else is sattellite. As a matter of fact, since the battery was replaced on my car, the only FM preset I have programmed is the FM mod frequency of my Sattellite Radio.

There is no going back to local drek for me. And if you are looking for someone to blame for this, don't look at me. Look at the AM/FM stations and the corporations that own and run them.

XM Rules.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
IRBS:

"If that were true .... sattellite radio and internet radio would be out of business."

Please tell me how I am factually mistaken, and please explain the above sentence. Perhaps I am as thick as a brick, but I do not get your point.

Pangloss

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007

Pangloss
As far as local radio stations go most of them worth their salt are broadcasting over the internet today. I think that would be great exposure.....live-365 etc.
I believe theres a bill in front of the US senate today waiting for their approval on its continued existance, as we know it.
I found myself listening to Q107 (Toronto) today as usual on a Sunday and sure enough....that annoying Bell commerical with the annoying guy and his annoying voice came on. (you can save up to a HUNDRED AN TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS!!!!
I abruptly left thanking GOD there was an option.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
JB:

A local station with an internet presence is still a local station. Just one with an internet presence. That can be pretty cool. I myself pick up philosophy programmes from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that they release as podcasts.

Love that stuff.

The thing that made local radio so cool is, I think, pretty much gone. It was the local presence, being a part of the community, talking about the things that only matter to the hundred thousand or so people who live in the area.

It used to be; it no longer is. That I will always miss.

If I won the lottery, I'd happily lose a bunch running a small station on the mid coast of BC, playing the music I like, and talking with everyone who gets the signal.

I'd go broke so fast. Maybe I could do it over the internet. . .

The world is so confusing.

Pangloss

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
IRBS:

"If that were true .... sattellite radio and internet radio would be out of business."

Please tell me how I am factually mistaken, and please explain the above sentence. Perhaps I am as thick as a brick, but I do not get your point.

Pangloss

I reread, and I initially misread your post. I disagree with your assessment though. Local FM/AM radio is not being killed by internet/sattellite radio. It killed itself with amalgomations, tight playlists, and impersonal stations playing tonnes of commercials. In other words, local radio killed themselves. If they didn't kill themselves, sattellite radio and internet radio would not have a foothold to stand on. That was my point.

If local radio stations were still local and playing music people wanted to hear, they would be paying $0 for their local radio stations and listening to them. They would not be paying $10-$13 (US subscription rates used) / month for Sattellite Radio. But local FM radio has deserted them so 14+ million subscribers of Sattellite Radio in the states have deserted FM/AM radio. Its probably about 800k subscribers in Canada (to the Canadian services although more because there are a lot of subs like me who go grey).

As for Internet radio, its days are likely numbered as you know it now thanx to an American ruling against them with regards to royalty payments vs. the RIAA. A lot of them will likely cease to operate or become commerialized . The ruling requires internet radio stations to anti up huge $$$$$ to recording stars to play their music -- retroactively too. It becomes enforced this July (date escapes me).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If I won the lottery, I'd happily lose a bunch running a small station on the mid coast of BC, playing the music I like, and talking with everyone who gets the signal.

I'd go broke so fast. Maybe I could do it over the internet. . .

The world is so confusing.

Pangloss

In effect, thats what thousands of people have done. Thats kind of what internet radio is.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
A couple of months ago I was contacted by CBC Radio requesting that I particpate in a 20-minute 'in-depth' round table discussion. I reluctantly agreed. They said a producer would call me to give me the run down on the discussion format and ask me some questions to ensure the content was focused. I thought I had better do some legwork so that I might come across as having some brain cells. I expected to receive a call from someone who had done some homework and would half-assed know what he or she was talking about. Instead, the 'producer' wasn't even sure what the topic was, let alone know anything about it. In fact it sounded as if during our discussion it may have been the first time he had ever heard of the subject.

Needless to say the 20-minute in-depth discussion amounted to scratching the surface with boring material. What a shame, it could have been a great show. I think the labour shortage, and likely shortgage of salaries compared to work expected, probably don't attract the quality of personnel radio once had.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Radio pays crap, Kreskin, unless you are doing one of the drive-time shows.

Pangloss
My favorite radio guy was 'NWs Frosty Forst. He made any morning in the car a laugh. He didn't need any gimmicks, just being himself was top notch stuff.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Anyone old enough....or lucky enough, to have heard David Marsden? A true example of what radio was indeed. Late 70`s early 80`s here in TO...102.1(CFNY) The Spirit Of Radio!)
Talk about local stations!