My Pet Peeve (part 1)

daisygirl
Interesting story, Doc. People with that sort of attitude tend to live longer since they have less stress.

I always feel like I have to be somewhere yesterday so that when I actually get there, it takes me awhile before I can relax and enjoy myself.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by daisygirlView Post

I always feel like I have to be somewhere yesterday so that when I actually get there, it takes me awhile before I can relax and enjoy myself.

Me too sweety. But getting there doesn't have to imply stepping on toes or getting upset if someone is a lil slower than rest of us....
i'm like on warp factor 4 and Sandy is horse and buggy...But i always slow down to a crawl when with her

daisygirl
lol We are exactly the opposite of you and your wife. I always wanted to be a race car driver when I was younger whereas Lou would fit in perfectly with a horse and buggy.

Since we live in tourist country, the OPP come out in swarms during the summertime so I generally let Lou drive during the summer months so as to avoid tickets (May 24th weekend to Thanksgiving).

Whenever anyone asks me how long it takes me to get to Toronto, I have a stock answer "Do you mean with or without the presence of white cars?" I know, I'm bad.

ETA: I should mention that I do NOT swerve in and out of cars or drive up their backsides. That, to me, is dangerous driving.
Last edited by daisygirl; Jun 25th, 2007 at 02:01 PM..

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by daisygirlView Post

lol We are exactly the opposite of you and your wife. I always wanted to be a race car driver when I was younger whereas Lou would fit in perfectly with a horse and buggy.

Since we live in tourist country, the OPP come out in swarms during the summertime so I generally let Lou drive during the summer months so as to avoid tickets (May 24th weekend to Thanksgiving).

Whenever anyone asks me how long it takes me to get to Toronto, I have a stock answer "Do you mean with or without the presence of white cars?" I know, I'm bad.

Ha...I thought you wre gonna say with or without the presence of my better half...LOL!!!!
Sandy is just got a lot of pain and such, that and other ailments which make her a lil slower ..but she is a great gal, puts up with me, and cooks divinely...

daisygirl
I have a lot of pain too...that makes me faster (in the car)...lol.
I'm slower everywhere else.

Zzarchov
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

I don't mind people taking their time in doing things. I just don't want them taking up my time doing it. There are many things in my life I would rather do than wait for someone to figure it out. It's only 15 seconds to you but once you and the 200 others just like you are done, it's a hour out of my time.

Time is relative. You may feel that a coupld of minutes is no big deal. All I ask is that you tally up the time you've caused others to wait during the day and spend that holding your breath underwater. Surely you have time to learn the appreciation others have for their own time don't you?

If you don't have time to waste, why are you shopping in a mall?

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

If you don't have time to waste, why are you shopping in a mall?

Context is everything. What makes you think a mall is the only place that has an escalator? For that matter why makes you think that a mall is the only place someone can manage to get in front of a lot of people and hold them up?

The point isn't location, it's the rude action of one affecting another. I'm not saying someone taking there time is bad, I'm saying those who choose to go at a slower pace than the flow should be the one's obligated not to slow everyone else down.

karrie

The point isn't location, it's the rude action of one affecting another.

Now apply that statement to how people end up feeling when you're constantly rushing and stressing them. Welcome to society... it's full of two way streets.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Now apply that statement to how people end up feeling when you're constantly rushing and stressing them. Welcome to society... it's full of two way streets.

How am I rushing or stressing anyone? A bit presumptous on your part isn't it?

Maybe "Excuse me please" is a little too rough on some people, but I suggest that theat problem doesn't stem form me. But I wonder why it is that someone in a hurry shoul dhave to stop to justify to every slowpoke why it is they are in a hurry and how important it is that the slower person let them pass.

What in the world happens when they come across a slower traffic keep right sign?

There are times when time if of the essence, whether you are bothered by it or not.

karrie

How am I rushing or stressing anyone? A bit presumptous on your part isn't it?

Maybe "Excuse me please" is a little too rough on some people, but I suggest that theat problem doesn't stem form me. But I wonder why it is that someone in a hurry shoul dhave to stop to justify to every slowpoke why it is they are in a hurry and how important it is that the slower person let them pass.

What in the world happens when they come across a slower traffic keep right sign?

There are times when time if of the essence, whether you are bothered by it or not.

Life is all about balance, give and take. I didn't mean to imply that you are shoving or harassing. But, your hurry is not anyone else's hurry. Much as their relaxed, slow, demeanor is not yours. If you want to actually live in society without blowing a bloodvessel in your brain from the stress of it, you just have to roll with it. Many people don't want to be rushed along any more than you want to be slowed down.

Kreskin
The ones who drive me crazy are those who waddle along with a huge crowd behind them ,then they get to a stairwell or doorway and stop for a chat.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

The ones who drive me crazy are those who waddle along with a huge crowd behind them ,then they get to a stairwell or doorway and stop for a chat.

inconsiderate people come in all sorts.

I get frustrated when people are smacking into my kids with their carts in the grocery store, or rushing past in the mall, hitting people with their bags. Shoving their way up the escalators, despite the lady with the oxygen bottle who clearly can't move over or walk up it.

A pause to consider why a person is not moving quickly is just as important as a pause to consider why a person is in a rush. Giving people room to enjoy their leisurely shopping, or their chat, is just as important as moving to let someone by who's in a rush.

It all flows both ways.

Kreskin

inconsiderate people come in all sorts.

I get frustrated when people are smacking into my kids with their carts in the grocery store, or rushing past in the mall, hitting people with their bags. Shoving their way up the escalators, despite the lady with the oxygen bottle who clearly can't move over or walk up it.

A pause to consider why a person is not moving quickly is just as important as a pause to consider why a person is in a rush. Giving people room to enjoy their leisurely shopping, or their chat, is just as important as moving to let someone by who's in a rush.

It all flows both ways.

But I mean a situation like leaving a hockey game. Anyone who decides to get out of their chair and join the exiting crowd should have some consideration for those simply trying to leave the building. Either stay in the seat and chat or participate in an orderly exit. Some people think the world should stop for them, literally.

Unforgiven

Life is all about balance, give and take. I didn't mean to imply that you are shoving or harassing. But, your hurry is not anyone else's hurry. Much as their relaxed, slow, demeanor is not yours. If you want to actually live in society without blowing a bloodvessel in your brain from the stress of it, you just have to roll with it. Many people don't want to be rushed along any more than you want to be slowed down.

I agree with that and I don't expect anyone to jump to my pace for the sake of pleasing me. But as I'm sure you would appreciate the absence of someone poking you in the back telling you to move along, hurry up and get out of the way, so to do I enjoy seeing someone who has paused for a moment or stopped to smell the flowers do so in a way that doesn't impede everyone behind them.

In a grocery isle, it's just as easy to step to one side and move your cart over with you as you read the labels and figure out which brand you want to buy. Just as easy as it is to gently get someone's attention with a "pardon me" and ask them to allow you to pass.

The point is that you should know to leave room for the rest of us to move along when you take your time. It is about balance. Balance means that you enjoy a truck and boat trailer while taking care not to park it in front of my driveway as I'm leaving for work because you are only going to be "maybe twenty minutes tops."

Unforgiven

But I mean a situation like leaving a hockey game. Anyone who decides to get out of their chair and join the exiting crowd should have some consideration for those simply trying to leave the building. Either stay in the seat and chat or participate in an orderly exit. Some people think the world should stop for them, literally.

Exactly!

karrie

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about Kreskin. I've seen the types of people you're complaining about. But I'm here to tell you, that they won't go away. Neither will the ones who are in an eternal rush. Everyone everywhere lives life at different paces. One person rushes someone, another slows someone down. All the time, every day. Neither one is 'okay', but both are inevitable, and getting worked up over it simply causes unnecessary stress, aggrevation, and rudeness.

Twila
Quote:

I've always wondered why some people feel they have to walk or run on an escalator. They push past people like they are in some God-awful hurry.

Gosh, I think you may be talking about me. I can't walk slow. I walk fast. If I walk slow I trip, stumble and would probably fall over. I don't think I push past people but I don't doddle, or walk slow ever. I don't walk up the stairs I run. Why? Probably because I work at a desk all day. Yes, I do work out everyday, but like to add whatever I can whenever I can. That includes running up the stairs, escalator and walking quickly to every destination. I figure I'll slow down when I have to.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Gosh, I think you may be talking about me. I can't walk slow. I walk fast. If I walk slow I trip, stumble and would probably fall over. I don't think I push past people but I don't doddle, or walk slow ever. I don't walk up the stairs I run. Why? Probably because I work at a desk all day. Yes, I do work out everyday, but like to add whatever I can whenever I can. That includes running up the stairs, escalator and walking quickly to every destination. I figure I'll slow down when I have to.

ARghh lassy so that be where ya got that fine booty of yourn

Twila
Aye Doc, Aye. don`t want t' wake up one mornin' an' find me **** be at me knees!

Dreadful Nonsense

Aye Doc, Aye. don`t want t' wake up one mornin' an' find me **** be at me knees!

hahahahaha....
Aye!!! and who would be picking up after ya and all arggghh...

#juan
I don't know if anyone else has done this: I once, years ago stepped on a kid's toy on an escalator and fell on my a$$. (more correctly, my coccyx and it hurt like hell) It was a wide escalator and I was about in the middle. It is a bit of a panic situation because there is nothing stationary to grab onto. If you are near the railing, the moving rubber handrail is something to get hold of but in the middle there is nothing. I felt more than a bit foolish down there among all the feet and legs. It took me a moment to get my feet under me and stand up. The mother of the kid who's toy I broke by stepping on it was upset that I had broken the little toy dog with wheels on it. I didn't offer to pay for it.....

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I don't know if anyone else has done this: I once, years ago stepped on a kid's toy on an escalator and fell on my a$$. (more correctly, my coccyx and it hurt like hell) It was a wide escalator and I was about in the middle. It is a bit of a panic situation because there is nothing stationary to grab onto. If you are near the railing, the moving rubber handrail is something to get hold of but in the middle there is nothing. I felt more than a bit foolish down there among all the feet and legs. It took me a moment to get my feet under me and stand up. The mother of the kid who's toy I broke by stepping on it was upset that I had broken the little toy dog with wheels on it. I didn't offer to pay for it.....

You fell on your coccyx? I didn't think that was possible. You lucky ba...

Toys on escalators, not good.

#juan

You fell on your coccyx? I didn't think that was possible. You lucky ba...

Toys on escalators, not good.

The coccyx is where your tail would be attached if we had one and wanted to wag it.....If you fall on it it becomes attached to every pain sensing nerve in your body.......

Twila
Juan, I scraped mine on cement when i was pregnant with my daughter ( I went to slide closer the edge of a cement retaining wall). I know the pain of which you speak. It's the most excruciating pain...funny bone pain x 1000.

#juan

Juan, I scraped mine on cement when i was pregnant with my daughter ( I went to slide closer the edge of a cement retaining wall). I know the pain of which you speak. It's the most excruciating pain...funny bone pain x 1000.

Spinal cord with all those nerves had to end somewhere........

gc

Sounds like me...except I don't walk fast, I run. I figure there are too many things to see and do to go slowly when it's not necessary. There is a time and a place to take it easy. If it's a nice day, I'll go to the beach or sit in a grassy field and relax. But if it's raining out, or I'm in a mall, I don't see the point in taking my time, just like when I am at work, I don't see the point in not working hard. If I am not going to be productive, I might as well enjoy my time, for example at the beach. The extra time I save by working hard, or walking fast, I can spend on a nice day.

unclepercy
Quote: Originally Posted by ToroView Post

I'm thinking about putting an escalator into my house.

And I have ranch style, slab on ground.

HA! I was thinking of asking my daughter to put an escalator between the main
house and the poolhouse. When I go to visit, I also need an elevator to the base-
ment. Hey, her place is huge.

Uncle

unclepercy

Sounds reasonable. ....

Some days I would like to have one.......with the most powerful engine option......Bigfoot wheels and tires.....4" exhaust pipes........and blacked out windows.........just for an hour or so......

Every other car in Texas fits the above description, and 1/2 of them belong to women. It would take
a Sherman tank with rocket boosters to make any difference where I live.

Uncle

Kreskin

The coccyx is where your tail would be attached if we had one and wanted to wag it.....If you fall on it it becomes attached to every pain sensing nerve in your body.......

It sounds like a different attachment.

I can imagine that spot at the bottom of the spine would pack a good wollop.

GenGap
my pet peeve is people, who do not look outside of the box.

When I had a severe back injury. I would grasp to one side of the escalator. There is no room to pass, yet people rudely pushed by and even once I.f fell to the bottom of the escalator.