Anyone going to the US?

Hobbit

Jun 20, 2007
There's news that the US delays Canadian passport requirements for Canadians crossing the border. It will be at least another 6 months before Canadians crossing the border will require a passport. Anyone going to change their vacation plans as a result of this?
I wanted to go the States, but I don't have my passport yet. Now I guess that I won't need it. Are there still super long waits at the passport office to apply for a passport?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crashed

Jun 1, 2007
Nova Scotia
The long queues at the passport offices are over. They was due to the new US policy as well as the many people that fly south in Feb/March/April panicing to get their documents on time. Passports were taking as much as 8 - 10 weeks to recieve.
We're headed to Old Orchard Beach in August and i'm bringing mine just in case.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
Flying to the States you need a passport (no exceptions), driving into the states, you don't need a passport until January 2008. Unless i'm missunderstanding something, things really haven't changed.

triedit

inimitable
Flying to the States you need a passport (no exceptions), driving into the states, you don't need a passport until January 2008. Unless i'm missunderstanding something, things really haven't changed.
You need a passport by train, boat, or bus too, correct? I know I have to have my 'Immigrant Card" to travel in and out of Canada in anything but a private car.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I've had a passport since 2002, because we went to Florida and figured this would happen. Who knew they'd wait 5 years. LOL I got my passport renewed in March of this year. One hour at the office in line and doing the paperwork. The passports came in three weeks. We went to Florida this April and expreienced no problem at the border. We crossed at 10:00 am in Detroit, there was no line up and the officer simply viewed our passports asked where we were going and said have a nice trip. The line was longer at the duty free. Seems hype is what people want to believe.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Actually tri, if you look at an atlas or map the trip to Maine is in fact south from Nova Scotia.

I just checked the globe. The southern most tip of Maine is further south than the southern most part of N.S. However, Maine goes further N than the northernmost point of N.S. Most of N.S and Maine are East-West of each other. I also never realized how crooked N.S actually is. I always thought it ran N-S but it seems to be running almost E-W.

flapperpie

Jun 28, 2007
My pp expires next year; I'm relieved they have also waived some of the former renewal requirements such as an endorcement by your doctor, lawyer etc.