My daughters birthday present

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

She's turning 6. Although she can't play guitar, yet, she does like to make noise. I was going to get her a very cheap pink guitar but anything really cheap isn't playable.

Reactions: Josephine

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My only comment is: ARE YOU INSANE?" :)

Perhaps I can send over a drum set for her birthday to make the sound in your house complete!

Do you think she is old enough to take care of it? My son is 6 and I am not sure I would trust him with anything that is not easily replaced.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I have a couple of guitars and she has been very good with them. I only let her play the guitar when we're together and she has been very respectful of them.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
you might want to make sure the neck isn't too big for her....that could be a real turn off...cheap guitars usually come that way and are unplayable for adults let alone kids.
Hey happy 6th to your Daughter.....get her a cheap Knock off ipod...she would love it man.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I have a couple of guitars and she has been very good with them. I only let her play the guitar when we're together and she has been very respectful of them.

Hey good for you man. My daughter got interested in music when I bought a guitar a few years ago. She now has started writing her own songs and we play together some. I would suggest a small keyboard as well, which helps with teaching the theory end of it while her fingers are too sore to play the guitar.

You can buy a small interface to run the guitar into your computer so she can record and use some tools to develop pitch and meter which become very important as she progresses.

Though early yet, I found that along with a practice schedule, keeping an ear to the songs she will come to like listening to and then learning them so what so you can play them a bit will inspire her to no end when the doldrums eventually arrive.

Step by step though mate, lead by example wot.
And remember the most important thing for a parent. Headphones. :)

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
well Kreskin, it's been awhile since I was in the loop about what's shakin' for 6 year olds, but I'd say your gift is gonna be a big hit!

... and Happy Birthday to your little girl... gonna do the big birthday party or plan everything at a remote location like Chuckee Cheese that you can flee from after the mayhem? I did both, but honestly, paying someone else to contend with the clean up was worth it to me. Do they still have those honkin' huge play centers like Great Balls of Fun where you set the kids loose into mazes of tunnels and don't see them again til you hollar "CAKE TIME" ?? :lol:

Hang in there, it gets better - at around 10 yrs old or so, they prefer smaller parties at more expensive locales... oh... and more expensive prezzies too. :p

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Unf, good advice.

Zan, we're going to a play area called "let'm loose". Her and a few friends can go wild. Then we'll eat their hotdogs.

Doc, the neck is definitely too big for now. She'll grow into it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Music lessons can never begin too young.

How do you choose an instrument? My son is very musically interested. But seems to move about to what instriment he wants to play moving from wanting to play drums to piano to trumpet on an almost daily rate. I really can't afford to invest in multiple instruments.

Also, if he intherited my musical abilities, he is doomed. There is a 50% chance he got his music from his mother though. Right now his musical training is singing along with the sattellite radio with me (and heven help you if you have the misfortune to hear me sing).

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We played that guitar for the first time. I'm impressed with it.

IRBS, kids are also changing their minds. Same in sports. Mine was in soccer then gymnastics then she wanted dance and hockey. We stuck to gymnastics.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
My big mistake was dropping out of the music playing scene when I got married and the kids were growing up. Now that they are all grown up, neither of them plays an instrument, and I just started getting back into it in the last eight to ten years…….big mistake on my part, not teaching them the value of music………and myself I have to struggle to try and catch up to all the new techniques and such.
Your daughter likes music……by all means encourage her……

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! It's beautiful and your daughter will love this.
That's actually a really thoughful gift...I hope the day is perfect!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday. What type of songs do you play around her?:smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
She hears a mixed bag of music. I need to learn some kids songs to keep her interested when we goof around on the guitars.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Teach her the Barney song. I'm sure that she'll like hearing that on a guitar.:p

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
geetar

Happy birthday to your daughter Kreskin. The kitty guitar is neat. Hope she enjoys it and does well.

We got our kids guitars when they were young, and helped them to learn to play. The boys became good musicians, (multi-instrumental, damn I'm jealous), and our daughter decided she'd like to play a radio.8O

One of the multi-instruments was a set of drums. Egad, t'was "musical" around here for a few years.

:lol::lol:They do in fact, grow up too fast.

Ugg

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
How do you choose an instrument? My son is very musically interested. But seems to move about to what instriment he wants to play moving from wanting to play drums to piano to trumpet on an almost daily rate. I really can't afford to invest in multiple instruments.
My children learned violin using the Suzuki method. However, if you're not sure which instrument to start with, I reccommend starting your child on piano. It will teach him the rudiments of music theory and will also produce 'instant good sounds' that will encourage him even more. Another instrument will be easier to learn with a keyboard background.