The moment a daredevil 'tombstoned' into Dead Man's Cove

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The moment a daredevil 'tombstoned' into Dead Man's Cove

30th May 2007
Daily Mail

A dangerous summer craze known as "tombstoning" is catching on in Devon, prompting the emergency services to issue early warnings about the daredevil activity.

One such daredevil was captured on camera jumping off Plymouth Hoe into Dead Man's Cove by keen amateur photographer John Baker.

Amateur photographer John Baker's composite image of a daredevil 'tombstoning' from Plymouth Hoe in Devon

He has produced a composite image covering a jump of about 65 feet using shots taken as he was taking a quick lunch break on the Hoe.

"It was just opportunistic. I saw some lads tombstoning. They were in wetsuits and trainers," he said.

"One of them was jumping from road level and I managed to take a set of eight pictures which I have, combined into a single image."

Tombstoning got its name from the practice of jumping off a high rock into water of unknown depth.

It has already has led to a string of injuries in recent years and emergency services say there is a high risk of participants suffering permanent injuries or even death.

The ambulance service was planning to issue a warning about the activity in its water safety campaign starting in late July

"Incidents mostly take place in the summer holidays," said Brixham coastguard Andy Huber.

"The dangers are hidden. With the tide going in and out, you never know how deep the water is - it may only be a couple of feet. You have to be wary of what's underwater."

There have been reported no casualties so far this season.

But the warnings won't deter the tombstoners, according to Dr Yaniv Hanoch of the University of Plymouth Psychology Department.

"It's not that the teenagers and adults are not aware of the risks involved," said Dr Hanoch.
"They just undervalue them in favour of the thrill of the moment."

dailymail.co.uk

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think it IS evolution at work...Here's to hoping they didn't breed before hand.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Nobody here's jumped off a cliff into water?

Granted I look before I leap - but man alive, what a rush!

Pangloss

Sure but that makes a big difference. I have a friend in Vancouver who was a pro diver. He took us out a few times diving and I saw first hand some of the stuff dumped into water just off the road. Rebar, cement blocks, chunks of metal drums, all sorts just beyond what you can see from the surface.

No thanks. I'm happy to live vicariously through them from here.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Sure but that makes a big difference. I have a friend in Vancouver who was a pro diver. He took us out a few times diving and I saw first hand some of the stuff dumped into water just off the road. Rebar, cement blocks, chunks of metal drums, all sorts just beyond what you can see from the surface.

No thanks. I'm happy to live vicariously through them from here.

Well made point, but it's perhaps a folly I'll never grow out of. But yes, I do look. . .

Pangloss

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well made point, but it's perhaps a folly I'll never grow out of. But yes, I do look. . .

Pangloss

You know, I just noticed you live in Calgary. I used to live in the northwest end, Varsity Estates, and I'd go sking most weekends in the winter. Norquay, Sunshine, Fortress, Lake Louise. And come to think of it, I jumped of plenty of edges covered in snow without the slightest concern of the grade or technicality of the run. So I should admit to folly myself. Seems the older I get, the less imortal I've become. Never did get hurt there in all the time I skied.