Does having MBA degree have a good affect on your career and getting Canada PR?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Here in the States we have people with MA's or JD's working as cab drivers or other forms of low income jobs. Hate to admit it but I'm among them.

God is often unkind.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
What is the school and what is your goal?

I would assume that question is for gopher cause if it's to me, an MBA degree is obviously from a business school and I did write it on my post.
I can't say specifically cause of privacy reason but well there aren't that many English-lecturing business schools in France that were among the top 10 in Europe last year, are they? ;)
Goal... I should say a bit like gopher to find a rich husband, but since guys nowadays are doing the same thing except it's wife, I reckon I should rely on meself and become a capitalist! :p
Well at the moment, I can't think specifically in terms of career goal, except: get a good and high-paying job first, save that pay to buy me own house and build me own business if possible so that I don't get bossed around and well create jobs maybe back home to throw a good purpose there too, get financially independent to be able to retire early and do what I want to do freely!
I reckon that's the goal of almost everybody's well probably not the business part cause it can be a hassle actually especially at the beginning.

Toro

Senate Member
I was asking you.

The reason why I asked which school was to see if it had name recognition in Canada. If it doesn't have name recognition, it won't help a whole bunch if your goal is to land a position with a top notch firm. However, if it is top 10 in Europe, you should be able to market that aspect. The reputation of the school is important.

I have an MBA from a top school in Canada and a Bachelor of Commerce, and my B. Comm. was more difficult academically though the MBA experience was unique. I, along with many of my fellow students, viewed the degree as something to hang on a wall as opposed to an education.

An MBA is very useful in Canada, but it depends what you get it for. It is not necessary to start a business unless you have no business background. It may help you immigrate to Canada. Note, though, that I am typing this from Florida. It was not my intention of moving to the US but there were very few jobs available for me in Canada at the time.

Toro

Senate Member
I work in capital markets. It is virtually a requirement now. But it is important that your school has a high reputation. MBAs are essentially a screening process to certain careers. It is also becoming more necessary for those who wish to climb the corporate ladder in the future. That is why there are all these Executive MBA programs. So, if you have an MBA from a place no one has heard of, it won't help you. But a top 10 school in Europe should be okay. I would think it would help you in Europe more though.

Getting a masters degree does help you in the immigration process in America. You are classified as EB2 with a master degree, which is below the extraordinarily talented people, i.e. professional athletes, rock stars, etc., but you are above a bachelors degree. It probably helps you in Canada too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have a B. Sc. in Engineering. I'm quite sure that if I had hung on for another two years and added an MBA, my earning power would have been increased considerably. At the time, I had had enough education of any sort. Since I'm retired now, it's kind of a moot point.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
But a top 10 school in Europe should be okay. I would think it would help you in Europe more though.
Perhaps in the French-speaking part of Canada too I wonder?

Getting a masters degree does help you in the immigration process in America. You are classified as EB2 with a master degree, which is below the extraordinarily talented people, i.e. professional athletes, rock stars, etc., but you are above a bachelors degree. It probably helps you in Canada too.
Heard from a friend it would really help to get at least the working visa in the UK as well.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I have a B. Sc. in Engineering. I'm quite sure that if I had hung on for another two years and added an MBA, my earning power would have been increased considerably. At the time, I had had enough education of any sort. Since I'm retired now, it's kind of a moot point.

Yes, I have a BScEng as well, and we were told that quite honestly the favourite students of the MBA program at that time were Engineers, and it was a great combination, career-wise. I didn't go that route, but I can see the value. One of our big corporate conglomerates here in NB ( a family owned empire) actually encourages a lot of their people to get MBAs while working; they have a healthy population of engineer-mba people.

I think that combination is best for industry; a pure business / mba combination isn't as helpful in an industrial setting, because it helps to have those years involved in production/maintenance engineering management, to know the issues.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Got those student loans paid off yet??:lol::lol::lol:

Retirement makes a moot point of a lot of things.

I have a B.S., MS, PHD.* . Thoroughly enjoyed the work required to obtain all of these, and shall continue to use them during the rest of my "golden years".

Stay in school kids.

BS = bullsh@t
MS= More of Same
PHD= Piled Higher and Deeper.

;-):thumbleft:

Ug