Let`s Rant

Meeshee
So, I have to rant a few times a day to stay sane.

It really pisses me off when I am grocery shopping and a mother with 7 kids is in my way. I was in the cheese section and 3 of her kids were sitting in the fridge thing. Totally gross.
Why can`t parents control their kids?

Vereya
Meeshee, it is a question that I keep asking myself time and again, when I see people with kids. The strangest thing is that they actually seem to be proud of their kids' disgusting behaviour, no matter how much the kids irritate others

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by VereyaView Post

Meeshee, it is a question that I keep asking myself time and again, when I see people with kids. The strangest thing is that they actually seem to be proud of their kids' disgusting behaviour, no matter how much the kids irritate others

It makes me want to walk over and choke the parents until they get some sense.
But I settle for my famous, this is my pissed-off look, don`t come near me, talk to me or bug me looks....lol.

Pangloss
Narcissism, simple narcissism. The lack of empathy, the unwillingness to consider anyone but yourself.

Butting in line because you're in a hurry.

Taking whatever you want because hey, you've got needs.

Saying you can do whatever you want and say whatever you want because, well, it's your right. It's not your fault that others are hurt or do without.

We've all seen it, all been pissed off by it, and from time to time, we all do it.

Pangloss

darkbeaver
Children should be in boarding schools and not in cheese emporiums plugging up the checkout lines.

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by PanglossView Post

Narcissism, simple narcissism. The lack of empathy, the unwillingness to consider anyone but yourself.

Butting in line because you're in a hurry.

Taking whatever you want because hey, you've got needs.

Saying you can do whatever you want and say whatever you want because, well, it's your right. It's not your fault that others are hurt or do without.

We've all seen it, all been pissed off by it, and from time to time, we all do it.

Pangloss

Umm I really don`t understand the need for attack when you see a mother letting her kids sit on packs of cheese at a grocery store? How is that me not understanding something or my unwillingness to think about only mysef???

Ok so I am an idiot. I totally mis-understood your post. I get it now and I am so sorry for snapping Pangloss!!!! Please forgive me and my retardation.
Last edited by Meeshee; May 18th, 2007 at 12:09 PM..

Kreskin
Thank you for this platform.

In March I acquired the services of 1-800-GOT-JUNK to remove junk from my home and yard. They left an advertising sign on my lawn when they were done. It's still there. I didn't ask them to deliver junk I paid them to take it away.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by MeesheeView Post

Umm I really don`t understand the need for attack when you see a mother letting her kids sit on packs of cheese at a grocery store? How is that me not understanding something or my unwillingness to think about only mysef???

Ok so I am an idiot. I totally mis-understood your post. I get it now and I am so sorry for snapping Pangloss!!!! Please forgive me and my retardation.

That FREAKED ME OUT. I went to quote your post, and in the quote your edit showed up, but it wasn't there when I clicked the 'quote' button.

darkbeaver
Petrol cost went up 6 cents per litre last night in NS. That makes it $1.21 a litre. I have to get a pony.

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

That FREAKED ME OUT. I went to quote your post, and in the quote your edit showed up, but it wasn't there when I clicked the 'quote' button.

Ya I totally mis-read what Pangloss wrote and feel like an idiot.

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Petrol cost went up 6 cents per litre last night in NS. That makes it $1.21 a litre. I have to get a pony.

This morning we are at $1,07 in Ottawa.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Don't get a Pony, those old Hyundai's are HORRIBLE.

Go for a versa, or a yaris or something..

DurkaDurka
Gas is a $1.10/L today in Toronto... doesn't really matter to me since I take Toronto Transit.

The Oil companies are raping everyone though, I hope the CEO's sleep well in their beds of cash.

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Gas is a $1.10/L today in Toronto... doesn't really matter to me since I take Toronto Transit.

The Oil companies are raping everyone though, I hope the CEO's sleep well in their beds of cash.

I wonder if they would let me sleep with them in their beds of cash??? Always wanted to do that. Sleep with cash.

DurkaDurka

I wonder if they would let me sleep with them in their beds of cash??? Always wanted to do that. Sleep with cash.

It wouldn't be a good sleep, have you ever slept beside a an elderly man? You will wake up smelling of crisp $20's and Old Spice.

Meeshee

It wouldn't be a good sleep, have you ever slept beside a an elderly man? You will wake up smelling of crisp $20's and Old Spice.

I`m 25 so what is elderly to me?

DurkaDurka

I`m 25 so what is elderly to me?

hmm, 75 perhaps? that's when old people seem to fall apart.

Meeshee

hmm, 75 perhaps? that's when old people seem to fall apart.

In that case I will take my contacts out, have about 15 crown royals and stuff my nose with cotton. There, problem solved.

DurkaDurka

In that case I will take my contacts out, have about 15 crown royals and stuff my nose with cotton. There, problem solved.

Are you trying to embalm your self?

Meeshee

Are you trying to embalm your self?

Nope, just trying to sleep with cash.

Twila
Remember back in the old days when people would be more then willing to tell your misbehaving kids to behave? When we took responsibility for our actions and understood that the parents are in control and not the kids?
Remember when you could choose to go to a restaurant that was either family or not? And if you chose a restaurant that didn't specifically say family restaurant you were guaranteed to not be subjected to screaming kids? Now if you open a restaurant geered for adults you have people complain about it (I.E. Sammy J Peppers)
Back in the day when People ruled the world not snot nosed little kids running amok over their so called parents...ah, those were good times.

DurkaDurka
I generally avoid any resaurant that will have children present or I will choose one that has a bar section where 19 is the youngest to be seen.

folcar
The kids issue has been getting out of hand, doesn't anybody believe in discipline anymore? Two most recent incidents were sitting at a restaurant only to have the 4-5 year beside us throw a handfull of food all over us, the parents didn't even care! And sorry if this ruins your trips to a bulk goods store, but my wife and i went to our local one to get spices and few other things. Only to see a kid walking along sticking the tongs used to pick up the food in his nose, again the parent was oblivious to the actions of there kid. When i was young such a misbehaviour would have seen my butt red and raw, which is consequently why i never did those things and have manners today.

The worst part with the gas prices is the government is raking in all this cash, spending only 36% of it on the roads. And the prices are driving up costs everywhere else in society.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Don't get a Pony, those old Hyundai's are HORRIBLE.

Go for a versa, or a yaris or something..

Just bought a Versa today! 2007 Blue Hatchback........

Anyway, people butting into line make me want to really cause a scene......but I never do.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Just bought a Versa today! 2007 Blue Hatchback........

Anyway, people butting into line make me want to really cause a scene......but I never do.

I hold my tongue when people butt into line, it pisses me off like nothing else but I figure it will accomplish nothing if I make a scene about it.

Kreskin
I hate it when I butt into a line and someone gives me a dirty look.

Bluerocks
Quote: Originally Posted by folcarView Post

The kids issue has been getting out of hand, doesn't anybody believe in discipline anymore? Two most recent incidents were sitting at a restaurant only to have the 4-5 year beside us throw a handfull of food all over us, the parents didn't even care! And sorry if this ruins your trips to a bulk goods store, but my wife and i went to our local one to get spices and few other things. Only to see a kid walking along sticking the tongs used to pick up the food in his nose, again the parent was oblivious to the actions of there kid. When i was young such a misbehaviour would have seen my butt red and raw, which is consequently why i never did those things and have manners today.

It seems like kids nowadays might not be as disciplined. There used to be a time when kids would get a spanking (not abusive) but to keep 'em straight.

Surely it is annoying upon going to a restaurant or anywhere else and you got kids screaming. Kids will be kids... Ok. But there comes a time when it is appropriate to behave in a good manner.

talloola

You wear contacts, enjoy Crown Royal, and are persnickety about others, you must be about 75

MikeyDB
As someone who’s worked for over thirty years in the mental health field, some of the criticism leveled at narcissistic children and evidence of poor parenting skills belongs to me.

Children have been ‘owned’, or at least regarded as chattels by parents and the community for a very long time. There was an old saying that children “should be seen and not heard”, a chestnut of sorts that suggested that children, because they lack the wealth of experience, social and emotional skills of adults, were unable to contribute insight or values to an adult world.

Children were expected to be noisy and rambunctious, exhibiting limited or poor impulse controls regarded as manifesting the confusion, insecurity and trepidation expected of a developing human being…

Kids after all….were kids..

This translated in the adult world, the idealized orderly linear cause-effect perception of the mature human being, as evidence that children were best regarded as more similar in many respects to primitives. Undeveloped and prone to barbarism and perhaps from time to time anti-social behavior that emerged as “sass” as “skipping school” and sometimes juvenile delinquency.

Delinquency was a broad brush that could be applied to everything from complaining about the beans or carrots that were served with a meal to intentionally breaking windows or defacing someone’s property. If the “acting-out” of younger children failed to be successfully addressed through disciplinary measures, the assumption was developed that a child was victim to some unseen and never-before-encountered psychological or behavioral dysfunction. Ritalin and special education pigeonholes were the band-aid cure for a possibly maladjusted or disturbed child. The age of ADD and ADHD gloriously bloomed upon the social landscape relieving parents of the responsibility to parent….

Social dynamics, influences of the larger zeitgeist were credited as having a significant albeit largely hidden effect on children’s behavior. If a child lacked the new stylish clothing (fads) or brand name running shoes, there was the danger that the child would find only rejection among his or her peer group. Children bereft of the calming influence of color TV and the familiarity with television programming enjoyed by their wealthier school friends would find themselves ostracized and distanced from their colleagues. Concomitant with the trappings of a social plane defined ever-more absolutely by the objects of accumulation, the subtle statements of disposable wealth and aspiration to power and control that come with “success” and “popularity”, children became the focus of the engine of greed that was invited into the family living room. No child could be reasonably expected to develop “normally” if they weren’t afforded the equality of consumption that certainly parents of these times embraced as their entitlement…

Families’ needed both adults to work…to afford that entryway access to the new car, the vacation weekend, the exercise of that right to visit Sea World and Disneyland. No adult could be reasonably expected to suffer the ignominy of last years aging automobile, become the butt of jokes leveled at cocktail parties, because their house had no central air-conditioning….

A benchmark of “success” was the display and demonstration of wealth with the casual, off-hand flourishing of the American Express Card, of the Visa and Master Card that magically provided the better (more expensive) golf clubs that meant that mom and dad could better compete with their clubhouse friends. Children weren’t provided the explanation that the growing necessity of still more income was directly related to the wads of “bill-due” notices from charge-card companies and credit agencies. Cable TV and the accoutrements of the “modern home” simply appeared and after performing their function until one day after the guarantee ran out (planned obsolescence) were set by the curb with the accumulated junk of the disposable era to be whisked off to be buried, while celebrating the new digital toaster and the scientific/technological advances of the “clapper” to turn the lights on and off…

America was informed that a child’s self-esteem would suffer if adult expectations to perform academically or in sporting events brought with it a “consequence”….a burden of emotional and psychological damage that would surely result in self-mutilation or suicide….

But I apologize for my long-windedness, that isn’t what anyone here at Can Con likes or wants…it’s the quick and easy answer the “I have a problem now give me the answer to that problem”…kind of thinking that’s welcomed here….

Reflection on the complexities of the social dynamic aren’t appropriate unless we can identify and target some individual, some precise element of the cause-effect formula that must surely be more responsible for the mess we find ourselves in….more responsible at least than anyone here at Can Con is prepared to entertain….

Twila
Quote:

But I apologize for my long-windedness, that isn’t what anyone here at Can Con likes or wants…it’s the quick and easy answer the “I have a problem now give me the answer to that problem”…kind of thinking that’s welcomed here

I for one really enjoyed your post. But since this is titled "Let's Rant" it does not imply answers wanted, needed, or expected. It's simply an avenue to express anger or frustration. Sometimes people want to vent WITHOUT somebody trying to fix the problem.
Back to your post...I may have misread or misinterpreted what you were trying to say but I got the impression that you believe parents aren't to blame? Or that kids should be allowed to run amok?