Let`s Rant

MikeyDB
Twila

Our children ceased to be children during the sixties. Adults became children. And do I think children should be permitted to run amok..? Certainly not, but they are however products of the times and experiences they've experienced. Postmodernism heralded the death of childhood.

Nikki
Quote: Originally Posted by MeesheeView Post

So, I have to rant a few times a day to stay sane.

It really pisses me off when I am grocery shopping and a mother with 7 kids is in my way. I was in the cheese section and 3 of her kids were sitting in the fridge thing. Totally gross.
Why can`t parents control their kids?

I can't stand people and their damn kids. They never seem to be able to control them.... or maybe they just don't want to. The other day I went into Co-Op to buy some eggs and this kid ran up to me grabbed the carton out of my hand and threw it on the ground. WTF??? And the parents Actually got angry at me because I Told them to control their kids and that the grocery store wasn't a play ground. I hate people.

Nikki
Quote: Originally Posted by folcarView Post

The kids issue has been getting out of hand, doesn't anybody believe in discipline anymore?

Because they are scared to do anything thanks to society.
Quote:

Two most recent incidents were sitting at a restaurant only to have the 4-5 year beside us throw a handfull of food all over us, the parents didn't even care!

Which is exactly why when we go out we tend to go late when hopefully there aren't any kids. But that seems to not matter anymore either. LRG and I went out Wed night to eat at 11 pm and there were kids in the restuant not more then 4. WTF!??? Anyone else notice this lately?

Quote:

And sorry if this ruins your trips to a bulk goods store, but my wife and i went to our local one to get spices and few other things. Only to see a kid walking along sticking the tongs used to pick up the food in his nose, again the parent was oblivious to the actions of there kid. When i was young such a misbehaviour would have seen my butt red and raw, which is consequently why i never did those things and have manners today.

which is just another reason why I don't buy Bulk. Parents piss me off!

Nikki
Quote: Originally Posted by BluerocksView Post

It seems like kids nowadays might not be as disciplined. There used to be a time when kids would get a spanking (not abusive) but to keep 'em straight.

But if you do this now child welfare could be at your door

Kreskin
Is there a case for post-natal abortion?

Nikki
Quote:

As someone who’s worked for over thirty years in the mental health field, some of the criticism leveled at narcissistic children and evidence of poor parenting skills belongs to me.

Children have been ‘owned’, or at least regarded as chattels by parents and the community for a very long time. There was an old saying that children “should be seen and not heard”, a chestnut of sorts that suggested that children, because they lack the wealth of experience, social and emotional skills of adults, were unable to contribute insight or values to an adult world.

Children were expected to be noisy and rambunctious, exhibiting limited or poor impulse controls regarded as manifesting the confusion, insecurity and trepidation expected of a developing human being…

Kids after all….were kids..

I don't think anyone is saying that kids should be seen and not herd. Kids will be kids. They will run around, scream and be annoying. Which is why parents are needed. Parents need to keep their children in line when neccessary. IE) In a grocery store, or in a nice resturant that is not a family resturant. Out of respect to others.

Parents should also control their kids when it becomes hygenitc issues. Ie) when kids are stickign their finguers in to bulk foods.

MikeyDB
Yeah I get it...

Once they've got their fingers in the bulk food...well...how much longer could it possibly be until they're whispering gangsta rap while they relieve you of your wallet....at the point of a nine-milly...

Prison and hard labor for all children and the parents of children who get rowdy at restaurants!

Pass this petition around and see how many signatures you can collect...

Nikki
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Yeah I get it...

Once they've got their fingers in the bulk food...well...how much longer could it possibly be until they're whispering gangsta rap while they relieve you of your wallet....at the point of a nine-milly...

Prison and hard labor for all children and the parents of children who get rowdy at restaurants!

The point is that some things are unacceptable, rude and plain disgusting.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Is there a case for post-natal abortion?

thinking hard on this one

all children should be in institutions from the age of 4 till 18
all parents should be there with them, except for me and mine, of course.

MikeyDB
Quote: Originally Posted by NikkiView Post

The point is that some things are unacceptable, rude and plain disgusting.

Now now not everyone watches CPAC....

Grown children pretending to be managers and executives behaving in a manner that no mother or father would tolerate from their children....

Disgusting and adult....say.....

Toro
Drivers in Florida piss me off!

There's this stick that is beside the driving wheel. When you push it down, it means you're turning right. When you push it up, it means you're turning left.

Its very, very simple, Florida drivers.

Learn how to use your turn signal.

Toro
US Bancorp.

****ing thieves!

MikeyDB
How's it shakin Toro..

When I lived in Ft. Liquordale I had a boss that wouldn't wait for the light but would pretend there was some emergency and walk out onto A1A and stop traffic in both directions so I could drive his truck out of the last call we made at a marina...

Signals....Signals....you musn't be from the sunny south now are ya kid!..

Toro
Damn, Mikey

The commercial roads have a speed limit of 45 mph, which really means 50-55. But then, you have the blue hairs driving 25-30. So you're barreling up to them, thinking they're going the same speed as you, then suddenly, you're on their ***, and have to slalom around them, like you're going around a pylon, all the while cutting off a cyclist and a running over a cat.

BTW Miami was recently named the city with the worst drivers in America. No kidding!

MikeyDB
Spent most of my time in Miami around the Racket Club out by the 79th Street causeway..

Between there and Collins avenue, we suffered through limousines.....

Never paid much attention to the traffic....

Yes it was a dirty job but someone had to do it!

talloola
In all seriousness though, I am very very dissapointed in the behavior of many children, especially
older ones and teens these days. I am older now, and can see all of this behavior through a few
generations now, and there is a very large deterioration in behavior, and 'respect' given to elders,
and I blame the adults in all generations as they tolerate the behavior, take the disrespect from their
children and the schools have allowed the respect for the institution to dissapear almost all together.
The children dress like slobs and talk like slobs in school, and the teachers, who often are from the
generation just before them, accept this as normal.
Exactly where is all of this going, what will it be like in 50 years from now. It scares me.

And, if I think back to my parents and grandparents, and how they would feel about the children now
days, I know they would be appalled.
I like the way I had to behave, noone ever hit me, but the verbal speeches I received at times, were very clear and taken seriously, and when I look back I am very thankful I was taught the way I was,
as I never want to treat others as I see many of them being treated these days.

I am a grandparent now, and have no control over any of these children/teens, and have to
bite my tongue, and in some cases, I better, or I might be thrashed by one of them.

At least I live away from the mainland, Surrey/Langley/Vancouver, now, so I don 't have to deal with
the large numbers of them, thankfully.
I will never blame the problem on working parents, most of my daughters worked, as they had to, and
that requires them to be much more organized and aware of where and what their children are doing, and in many cases it makes the children more responsible, as they have chores and times to be home.
Last edited by talloola; May 19th, 2007 at 11:48 PM..

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

You wear contacts, enjoy Crown Royal, and are persnickety about others, you must be about 75

Interesting view...lol. 75 though, you are way way off.

talloola

Interesting view...lol. 75 though, you are way way off.

I knew it, just felt like retaliating a little on this thread, as I am 68.

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

I knew it, just felt like retaliating a little on this thread, as I am 68.

68 is still very very young my dear

Toro
I have nothing to rant about today.

I'm happy.

Zzarchov
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Yeah I get it...

Or, by playing with fecses as small children do (every kid goes through that phase) then running their hand through bulk food, the next old lady struggling to make ends meet with some bulk cashews ends up catching e.coli and dying.

But hey, allowing people to risk death so a parent doesn't have to watch their kid is fine.

Aren't parents supposed to be liable for their childrens actions? If a child runs his hands through bulk cashews, that parent just bought a whole shipload of cashews.

If that kid throws eggs on the ground the parent just bought some eggs, and if the eggs got on your shoes..they just bought you new shoes too.

Kid grabs your food in a restauarant? Not only did they just pick up your tab, they got asked to leave the restauarant.

That is how it used to be when I was growing up, its also why I was kept in line as a kid (and good riddance, I was a kid not an adult)

Zzarchov
@ Talloola, about respect:

I am actually quite content with children who don't show respect to elders, the concept of giving respect based on age is something I think needs to be dropped. Respect is something earned not given.

Quite frankly, it often seems many of the "elder" generation are becoming the least deserving of respect. While one should certainly respect your parents or grandparents who earned that respect in raising you (or your parents who in turn raised you).

the concept that some cantankerous 65 year old bigot ranting about minorities and "queers" deserves anything other than contempt merely because he or she is older boggles my mind.

I am happy that it is seen ok to be vulgar, but not to make someone sit in a different part of the restaurant because of their race, religion or nationality.

I much prefer it to the reverse which used to be the norm.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

@ Talloola, about respect:

I am actually quite content with children who don't show respect to elders, the concept of giving respect based on age is something I think needs to be dropped. Respect is something earned not given.

Quite frankly, it often seems many of the "elder" generation are becoming the least deserving of respect. While one should certainly respect your parents or grandparents who earned that respect in raising you (or your parents who in turn raised you).

the concept that some cantankerous 65 year old bigot ranting about minorities and "queers" deserves anything other than contempt merely because he or she is older boggles my mind.

I am happy that it is seen ok to be vulgar, but not to make someone sit in a different part of the restaurant because of their race, religion or nationality.

I much prefer it to the reverse which used to be the norm.

Totally disagree, children who are taught to respect their elders will grow to be respectful adults.
The disrespect that many adult/elders reek upon the world, was taught to them by their parents,
and they, by their parents. Children can't help what they are taught, and one of the kindest lessons their
parents can teach them is to acknowledge their elders, and respect them. Give up your seat for
an elderly person on a bus, speak respectfully to all adults. These days, most adults would be
delighted and will respond positively to any child/teenager who speaks to them respectfully.

I hate ratial problems too, but don't see any relevance to this subject, and biggoted elderly coots who are ranting ignorantly are from an old world, but has nothing to do with children being respectful.

Zzarchov
The problem there (to me), is why respect Elders? thats a horrid message, that somehow living longer means your better than people.

If you wanted to teach people to be resepctful, ok, thats amazing, (historically it never takes, another topic). After all, are you not saying Children dress like slobs because they have different fasion than you like? I rarely see the elderly being respectful to the young (not that the young have earned respect either).

But that you should respect elders, by virtue of them being elder and nothing else is absurd. If you want respect in general, for everybody..again, that is a noble goal. But children are again one of the last places to look.

As I said before, this generation may call you vulgar names, but it tends not to yell out racist ones. And thats a much better thing in my eyes.

talloola
[quote=Zzarchov;837107]The problem there (to me), is why respect Elders? thats a horrid message, that somehow living longer means your better than people.
Well, I guess I know a few people who agree with you, as they have the most rude, disrespectful
unaware, selfish, me me me, I deserve everything, children, who obviously don't give a rats ***
about adults, and don't realize that the generation before them, and before that, have done much
living to pave the way for the children to have a better life.

If you wanted to teach people to be resepctful, ok, thats amazing, (historically it never takes, another topic). After all, are you not saying Children dress like slobs because they have different fasion than you like?
No, not at all, I'm talking about cleanliness, and neatness, and not falling out of bed and into the
same dirty clothes you wore all week, and no combed hair, and bad breath, and smelly underarms.

I rarely see the elderly being respectful to the young.
Some of the elderly are becoming wary of the young, as there have been many crimes against them
by the young teens in larger urban areas, another total and complete lack of respect and on top of
that, they have become mean and know that the elderly are weaker and slower.

But that you should respect elders, by virtue of them being elder and nothing else is absurd. If you want respect in general, for everybody..again, that is a noble goal. But children are again one of the last places to look.
It is the first place to 'teach' respect and appreciation of what the elderly, and 'just adults' have done
to create a better world for the children coming behind them. I hope we can expect the same from
the children growing up when they become adults, and I hope they are good people and do the same for the next generation.

As I said before, this generation may call you vulgar names, but it tends not to yell out racist ones. And thats a much better thing in my eyes.
Where are you from anyway, as here in Canada the race card isn't played in the same numbers as it
is in the U.S., but of course there are bad people everywhere, but in Canada racial prejudice doesn't loom it's ugly head too often. And all of the races you would claim suffer from comments, also dish out their own, noone is innocent from that.
My husband grew up in an area called 'little Europe', and they all called each other racially negative names, all the time, and were very narrow minded in that respect, and all immigrants.
The only people in this country who need our love and help is the 'first nations', everyone else can look after themselves, as they will give just as much as they take.
I have lived a long time, have never said a racially negative comment to anyone, ever. But being of Irish decent, (my dad born in Dublin), I was once asked where my dad was born, and when they found out, they called me a 'bloody southener', I just laughed at them, and told them I felt sorry for them, which I did.
As I said before, children who are taught to be respectful and polite and considerate of others, and don't talk back to adults, (a normal regular adult, not some sicko), will grow up to be same, and will teach their children same. Makes for a more polite respectful world.
I'm talking in general, and the majority, not the few who don't deserve respect, anyone can go to the exceptions, of course.

talloola

68 is still very very young my dear

My dear?, oh brother.

Zzarchov
About the race card not being played in Canada, to that I call shennanigans.

Among the younger generation no, it is not played. But my Grandma, rest her in peace she was a good person. Honestly believed south asians (not the term she used, though she meant no malice) had a natural odor about them that reeked. She had many other theories, but patronizing all of them.

And thats common, thats just among close family, among those pleasant older folks I have met many times, especially when working midnights retail, (one meets the early birds) I got such delightful comments as "I only come in the mornings cause I want to deal with proper canadians, not those paki's during the day".

I also think the baby boomer generation doesn't really deserve any praise for existing, if anything they deserve quite a bit of scorn for taking the ample opportunities the greatest generation laid out, and squandering them.

These great accomplishments such as a pyramid scheme retirement plan Im forced to pay into, knowing it is physically impossible for it to work when I retire. Stalling on all the great works started by the war generation (hows our space program going? Disarment? anything?)

Oh, and the glorious sacrifices the baby boomers had to make, like introducing rampant drug culture into our society. I mean, the war generation got shot at, but the baby boomers..they had to smoke pot and make drug use a cultural norm.

So forgive me, but I don't see any use catering to people who by and large, are statistically worse people (ie, the youth violence rates in their day, hate crimes, and ratio of sex offenders)

You don't get respect for just "existing" if you want respect, earn it. If you want some youth to respect you, treat them with respect. People general respond to such treatment. But no one is going to treat you special because you managed to survive longer. Some of the most childish immature brats I have ever met were in their 70's. They stole, swore, lied through their teeth and were generally malicious. That said I have met many inspiring people in that same age category. So with the two extremes, im gonna have to keep judging people on who they are and their actions, not how long they have stayed alive.

gc
Quote: Originally Posted by ToroView Post

Drivers in Florida piss me off!

There's this stick that is beside the driving wheel. When you push it down, it means you're turning right. When you push it up, it means you're turning left.

Its very, very simple, Florida drivers.

Learn how to use your turn signal.

lol...no wonder why they piss you off...in most cars UP means you are turning right and DOWN means you are turning left. Or are the cars in America backwards?

lena
lmao good catch gc..I actually had to do it to make sure. Guess I'm not quite awake yet LOL. My giggle for the day thankyou.

gc
Quote: Originally Posted by lenaView Post

lmao good catch gc..I actually had to do it to make sure. Guess I'm not quite awake yet LOL. My giggle for the day thankyou.