Scamming should be made a hate crime.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Con artists scam stupid or greedy people.

Once you are scammed there is a good chance you won’t be scammed again.

You will be more diligent and check and verify all information given to you after your first scamming experience.

This is part of living in a free capitalistic country where money grows on trees.

If it’s too good to be true then it is a scam.

This can only be learned in the school of hard knocks

The sooner you learn it the better off you will be.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I don't. . .want. . .to. . .agree with. . .Liberalman. Hurts. Too. Much.

But he's right. Except for the outright lying/misrepresenting con artist, most people are tripped up by their own laziness or greed.

Neither the law nor god protects the fool.

Pangloss

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Well I've got to agree with Lib and Pan. You earn wisdom. Oh and by the way, scammers target 'whitey' too, not just pwople with coloured skin.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Well I've got to agree with Lib and Pan. You earn wisdom. Oh and by the way, scammers target 'whitey' too, not just pwople with coloured skin.

Woah, woah, woah woah woah!

You mean I could be a target too?

Castration by angry badgers is too good for them!

Off with their heads!

Pangloss

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
While alot of scamming happens to the greedy, some protection should be offered to the stupid, or the third group not mentioned, the altruist.

In the case of the third group, how many people have been scammed thinking they are donating to a charity only to find that only 1% of their donation actually makes it? Quite a few, is that too not a scam?

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Zzarchov -

It is a scam, no doubt. But where is the call for personal vigilance? The better Business Bureau will tell you - for free - where to look to find out how much any particular charity takes to cover their overhead.

The information is there - just go look for it.

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
A lot of people who are scammed are elderly... does being old make you "lazy" & "Greedy"?

Does being old automatically make you stupid? If not, then how is this different from anyone else?

I'm not being coy here, I understand senility - in which case, where are the friends and family?

Pangloss

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Pangloss,

There is a reason scammers prey on older people, blame it on senility, loneliness, gullibility etc. Those sort of attributes make one a target.

Friends and Family should be there to assist in matters like that, unfortunately many elder folks don't have such available.

More often then not, Elderly people seem to be the one's getting scammed. How often do you hear of middle aged folks sinking their pension into a Nigerian bank scam?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I don't. . .want. . .to. . .agree with. . .Liberalman. Hurts. Too. Much.

But he's right. Except for the outright lying/misrepresenting con artist, most people are tripped up by their own laziness or greed.

Neither the law nor god protects the fool.

Pangloss

Unfortunately, scammers also harm vulnerable seniors. Most never recover from their losses.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Durka2:

I don't disagree with you at all - unaddressed is the idea of preparing for one's dotage. Is it a new thing that as people get older we all might get a little slower?

In my family there is a tradition of "adopting" one of us as we get older - I will take care of my mom more and more as she gets older - in few years I imagine I will have power of attorney over her affairs. I will preserve her independence as long as I possibly can.

I am, as a matter of course, making plans for my dotage.

It isn't like getting old is a surprise.

Pangloss