Question...

TOOK

Apr 12, 2007
^Well, i just dont like anyone, or anything about the new area that i live in now.

when did they change the legal age?
and would i beable to rent a basement and live there?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
^Well, i just dont like anyone, or anything about the new area that i live in now.

when did they change the legal age?
and would i beable to rent a basement and live there?

approx. 2 years ago. PM me if you'd like more privacy. Obviously you have some issues that maybe is best not shared on a public forum. I have some experience in counselling and talking/listening.

You keep persisting in your question, but the answer is still the same. Bottom line, are you 18?If not, I have told you your answer.Variations on that theme are the same.

TOOK

Apr 12, 2007
^ Na i dont mind posting it here.
and i wouldnt be dropping out either. Id still be going to school, and working. Just living on my own.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
^ Na i dont mind posting it here.
and i wouldnt be dropping out either. Id still be going to school, and working. Just living on my own.
I don't know about the legal age. When I was younger...well, about your age, I knew a group of guys who were about your age now who rented a basement apartment together. But, it was all, well, not really out in the open because I don't think that it was legal....but, that gave the landlord total control, which didn't work out too good.

Anyway, you know, despite what I may say about Sanctus, he does seem to be a very devoted person who does care...if you do have issues that you need to discuss, he is a good guy to talk to.

But, I also remember being your age. Man, I remember, I wanted to run away...not run away, but just take off, say "screw everyone" and get out of town. I hated everyone...people at school, my mom, my life, my everything...I wanted a change so bad. That was a rough time in life. But, eventually, I moved on, out, and up....but, I realize if I had left when I had actually wanted to, that it would have been brutally difficult...not impossible...but difficult.

Anyway, I don't know if any of that helps. If you do want to move out of your parents, I would try to find another relative or someone you trust to move in with...but that is only if it was me.

TOOK

Apr 12, 2007
^Thanx for the advice. I did live in edmonton too..i recently moved to lame ass Leduc (about 10minutes south of edmonton), cuz my mom got married. I HATE IT. Nothing but white hill billies :angryfire:

I already got everything planned out tho..and i talked to my mom about it. I can make 700$/month, and rent an apartment or basement for around 350$/month..that includes hydro.

so 350 for rent and about 150 for food. I would have enough.

I might even find a roomate or something.

Thanx again for the advice.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
Honestly, its up to your parents to decide that, if you have their permission then you can. As long as you stay in school till you're atleast 18.
My friend lives on his own, and he's 17, his parents supported the idea, bought/rented a place for him to stay, and he's now on his own. Still attends school, has a part time job, plus his parents send him x amount of money to make sure he can afford his food and clothing.
So as long as u're not breaking the law, by still doing what you are supposed to before u're 18, then u can live on u're own. I know someone who does, but believe me, its a hard life being under 18 and living on u're own, not easy. I'd much rather stay with my parents till i'm comfortably ready to living on my own in the real world.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
^Thanx for the advice. I did live in edmonton too..i recently moved to lame ass Leduc (about 10minutes south of edmonton), cuz my mom got married. I HATE IT. Nothing but white hill billies :angryfire:

I already got everything planned out tho..and i talked to my mom about it. I can make 700$/month, and rent an apartment or basement for around 350$/month..that includes hydro.

so 350 for rent and about 150 for food. I would have enough.

I might even find a roomate or something.

Thanx again for the advice.

I wish you'd PM me. What I'm understanding here is that you want to leave your home and, if I'm correct, live off Social Services? In essence, therefore, you are suggesting that the taxpayers should support you because you are not getting along with your parents. Is this correct? As just one taxpayer I very much resent such an idea. Unless there is more going on here, such as abuse?

SVMc

Nominee Member
Apr 16, 2007
Toronto
Depending on the legal age (which in most provinces as Sanctus has said is 18) there are only two ways for a minor to live in a separate residence.

The key concern of the government is that so long as your parents are willing and able to care for you the assumption is that you will receive better care, access to education and support for further education if you remain at home until you are 18. If there are any reasons why you feel that your home environment is unhealthy for you Sanctus may be a good person to talk with or a trained counsellor who can get you help.

Back to the two ways to have your own residence.

First, if your parents are in agreement that you could live and manage on your own the government will be satisfied if your parents help you with and continue to provide the essentials of life in a secondary residence. Once a minor is viewed as capable to be left home alone, a parent can make a case that a secondary residence for the minor can be provided for assuming the parent can establish basic parental controls, such as monitoring your school participation, co-signing a lease (as a minor you cannot sign a lease on your own), and essentially remaining the parent and legally and financially liable for any connection with this second residence. (i.e. if you default on the rent they need to pay it, if you get police calls for noisy parties they are liable for any fines / charges). This was a solution that was arrived at with my parents when I was younger, it was not so much for a want of getting away from the family, but that the family was financially unstable, and my parents figured that if they may end up in a very bad place with the primary residence (i.e. loose the house) if I could though my job maintain a secondary residence, it worked for us. They did continue to monitor my school, and I did need to live within 40km of their home until I went to university.

The only other way to leave home as a minor is to establish that your parents are not meeting the basic necessities of life, or establish that there is abuse and file for emancipation. Which in the case of 16 year olds is sometimes favoured over group homes, but group homes are often used by the system depending on your school records.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I felt the same way at your age TOOK. I just toghed it out till 18 then I was gone. I learned a lot at first. It's not that easy. If you are planning on an apartment in Toronto for $350 per month, I think you will be disapointed in what you get. Bring the roach spray. I live in a city 60 km east of Toronto and I haven't seen an apt that cheap. Maybe a room in a boarding house.
Well good luck, I hpoe you make the right choice for you.:smile:

TOOK

Apr 12, 2007
I wish you'd PM me. What I'm understanding here is that you want to leave your home and, if I'm correct, live off Social Services? In essence, therefore, you are suggesting that the taxpayers should support you because you are not getting along with your parents. Is this correct? As just one taxpayer I very much resent such an idea. Unless there is more going on here, such as abuse?
wat? i never said anything about living off social services.