Stalking

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I haven't actually experienced a stalker, but I have had the experience of someone trying to
attack me on the street. I was 15 yrs. old, walking home about 9:30 p.m., and a man was walking toward me, I kept far over to my side of the sidewalk, but as we began to pass each
other he stepped right in front of me, actually touching me with his body, and said "You aren't
going to give me any trouble are you",and I immediately heard a deafening scream coming from
somewhere, and realized it was 'me', and he immediately darted away under a tree and began
running down the side street, and I of course ran like a deer home, which was only 1/2 block
away. Didn't know I had that scream in me, now I do, thanks to instinct, I guess I saved myself.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Just outta curiosity, has anyone here ever experienced a stalker?

Yes, twice. First parish I had this young man, who was of, shall we say, a different sexual persuasion, became enamoured with me. He would pop up most places I was, by "accident". Drove my wife nuts, he called the house a million times a day and was at the church more than I was:)

He was quite clever at talking to the parish sec and getting from Mary a general idea of my schedule.

I knew it had gone too far when he popped up one day at the hospital I was visiting people at and waltzed himself into a room where I was giving Last Rites.

We had to get the police involved to get him to go away, and even after that he sent me a long tear-filled letter professing love and devotion. Totally a creepy experience.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hmmmm.
I was curious becase I think I may have picked one up. Don't wanna go into any detail because if I haven't picked one up I don't want to risk offending the critter any further than it thinks I have now. " No wut Ah meen, Vern?" - Ermest P. Worrell (Jim Varney) :D
At any rate, I'm hardly alarmed, but I do keep remembering "Play Misty For Me" (old movie).

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Stalking is a pretty generic word and the media and movies only talk about the worst offenders. How many girls say in high shcool don't go find out a whole bunch of stuff about the guy they like.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
One thing I find dangerous is the attitude in the media about the recent school shootings is that their might have been something that could of been done to prevent this. How are we going to prevent this? Are we going to lock up everyone we think is odd? The only thing I think might be remotely reasonable is for it to be harder for people like him to by a gun.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
One thing I find dangerous is the attitude in the media about the recent school shootings is that their might have been something that could of been done to prevent this. How are we going to prevent this? Are we going to lock up everyone we think is odd? The only thing I think might be remotely reasonable is for it to be harder for people like him to by a gun.

The best solution i have come up with is to have a plan in place and perhaps an alarm system similar to the fire alarm in schools, When sounded all classes lock there doors and get away from the windows and doors. If they are ground floor they evacuate immediatly (after ensuring the outside is clear of hostiles with a visual check) from a window, upper floor class rooms could be equiped with a fire ladder (which would have the added benefit of a fire escape) so students and teachers there could evacuate as well. Such a system would aid in these events by locking down a school and letting everyone know instantly there is a threat, if the shooters access is limited so should be the damage they can inflict. Police responders should also enter immediatly and engage as quickly as possible, in all of these instances so far when the shooter has unarmed students as targets they are quite bold in there insanity. When confronted with trained and armed police they seem to loose some of that resolve, seems when someone can shoot back it is alot less appealing to continue the rampage.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The best solution i have come up with is to have a plan in place and perhaps an alarm system similar to the fire alarm in schools, When sounded all classes lock there doors and get away from the windows and doors. If they are ground floor they evacuate immediatly (after ensuring the outside is clear of hostiles with a visual check) from a window, upper floor class rooms could be equiped with a fire ladder (which would have the added benefit of a fire escape) ............
Good idea. Evac chutes at the windows (like they have on aircraft) would be better than ladders, though. Speed is of the essence. (Besides that, they are kinda fun :D)

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Good idea. Evac chutes at the windows (like they have on aircraft) would be better than ladders, though. Speed is of the essence. (Besides that, they are kinda fun :iconbiggrin:)

Very true and that would empty a room of 30 pretty quick.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Isn't there some way for a loud alarm to go off, if a gun crosses a certain line, entering the school.
When he walked throught the door into the school with those two guns, isn't there a way for that
to immediately signal someone, after all of the shootings in the U.S., I would think, just preventing
guns from getting into the school period, would be constructive. Surely the right to bear arms
musn't include public buildings of any sort. A policemen's gun could have a special 'chip' or
something implanted in their guns to prevent alarms, I don't know, it just makes one speechless
in disbelief that such horrible things can happen.
And today, of course, 170 people killed in senseless car bombings, in Bagdad, and 190 injured. Lets all
back up here, and think very very hard and long about the 'errors' over the last few years, and
make sure they don't happen again. VOTE 'SMART' NEXT TIME. (maybe a good name for a political party). Guess I'm getting off topic here, so I'm off.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hmmmm.
I was curious becase I think I may have picked one up. Don't wanna go into any detail because if I haven't picked one up I don't want to risk offending the critter any further than it thinks I have now. " No wut Ah meen, Vern?" - Ermest P. Worrell (Jim Varney) :D
At any rate, I'm hardly alarmed, but I do keep remembering "Play Misty For Me" (old movie).
Such a scary movie, I will never forget it, I think her name was Evelyn in the movie, and
after that when we saw any woman who was very 'unlikeable', (for lack of better word),
we would call her Evelyn, when referring to her.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Stalking is an insidious crime, and can alter the victim's perception of safety, and sometimes makes her/him become obsessively reclusive, and worse, afraid of mere acquaintance, which limits their life socially, sometimes to extremes... afraid to open their mail/email, to open the door, even to the mailman ,walk to the store, walk the dog, putting sturdy locks on interior doors, even to question invites as to whom will be present. It can start seemingly innocently, and can take weeks or months before the victim realises what is actually happening.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
I know! Give everyone handguns that would cut back on stalkers and school shootings would be over in a snap.:roll:

Or restrict handguns as much as possible and end gun crimes... like in Jane and Finch...

I'd confront the person and tell them to ...fudge off, in a voice that brooked no argument. You may end up looking like the crazy one, but it should keep them away.