Its just a game, whats with the controversy?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
G

What do you think? Do people think you are a criminal just because you play games or watch action movies? I guess we action loving folks have gotta move to a country where games are allowed eh. From the way things are now, we are headed in that direction.....sigh.....

WOW!!! Quite a homily. Are you related to westmanguy by any chance?

Well, it may not be criminal in and of itself, but the violence common in many of the games can certainly be toned down. In your reference to being bored without the games, try reading.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I play all sorts of video games.. mostly violent ones. I get great satisfaction in zooming on a guys head with a sniper rifle and blowing it away (Battlefield 2142). Playing violent video games is no worse then watching a horror movie or an army enlistment advertisement. The prudes of society have chosen video games to be their new cause celebre, look up the man leading that fight: Jack Thompson, a real sleezebag.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Were there wacko's going around killing people before video games? yes! Millions play those games and never even for a split second consider committing mass murder or even just plain old murder as a result. The problem has far deeper roots and the gaming industry is the the choosen convenient scape goat. Social isolation, bullying, domestic violence, lack of emotional support, emotional abuse, poverty and just plain old insanity are more likely culprits. The only part games or any form of mass media may play is they aid in providing ideas to those sick people who are just looking for and excuse to commit such horrific crimes the games are blamed for. When the nightly news almost daily carries more horrific stuff from around the globe and it's content is real, the real threat to public safety and freedom is the lobbyist and activists every time they get a cause we lose freedoms and rights.

Reactions: AmberEyes

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I play all sorts of video games.. mostly violent ones. I get great satisfaction in zooming on a guys head with a sniper rifle and blowing it away (Battlefield 2142). Playing violent video games is no worse then watching a horror movie or an army enlistment advertisement. The prudes of society have chosen video games to be their new cause celebre, look up the man leading that fight: Jack Thompson, a real sleezebag.
I do the same thing in Unreal Tourney 2004. Everything from sniping to nuking to running over people in tanks and little hovercraft thingies and I have a rack of real firearms plus handguns all with tons of ammo I don't shoot much of anything anymore and when I do its paper targets or pinecones and the occasional skunk or coon.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

This is confusing for me, cause I was picturing Rita McNeil playing video games, and somehow that doesn't seem to work.
I don't know much about the content of video games, but I do think their contents should
be monitored, as, even though the majority of them are probably harmless, very young
children play them, and that is not quite the same as 'you' playing them, in my opinion.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You got that right, Durk. Been hardly any length of time between the other versions of Unreal, but this one sure is taking its time getting to us.
I am looking forward to UT2007 and the upcoming game called Crysis, check it out on google.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This is confusing for me, cause I was picturing Rita McNeil playing video games, and somehow that doesn't seem to work.
I don't know much about the content of video games, but I do think their contents should
be monitored, as, even though the majority of them are probably harmless, very young
children play them, and that is not quite the same as 'you' playing them, in my opinion.
Talloola, video games have a rating system similar to what movies have. Like any other type of media, the parents need to supervise what their kids watch/play.

Reactions: L Gilbert